Sparkleflips!

NMcCoy

Sparkleflips!

Post by NMcCoy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 am

What can I say? I like particles.
sparkleflips.zip
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
------
Significant improvements! Changed the shader so it blends additively, added a new sprite, made it bigger, tweaked the movement a little. Net effect, it's something like Sonic-meets-Starfox by way of spinjump barrelrolls. Unless you turn the alpha back up to 1, in which case you fling lightsabers all over the map.

Last edited by NMcCoy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

last

Re: Sparkleflips!

Post by last » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 am

Edit:
Don't take this as your mod is bad actually it is cool, but it is good to know what this mod does, don't you think?
Maybe you talk little more about this mod. What does it do and when it does something.
It's maybe a good idea to make a screenshot to or even better a video
Last edited by last on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 am

Aye, a screenshot should really be mandatory for mods with visuals.

Just press f7 in-game to save a screenshot to Data/Screenshots, then upload it to http://www.imgur.com and embed the direct link as an image in your post.

last

Post by last » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:05 am

you can upload screenshots directly into this forum. Why upload them into somewhere else and link them back to here?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:07 pm

last wrote:you can upload screenshots directly into this forum. Why upload them into somewhere else and link them back to here?
Less load on Wolfire's servers ;) I may be wrong, but I think I recall that the forums are not actually handled by the same CDN that wolfire uses for most of their other hosting, so it's (marginally) more expensive for them.

Also for just simple screenshots I dislike having the whole 'attachment' metadata it adds under it. Just my personal preference I guess.

In any case I'm sure if you asked the devs they'd just say to use whatever you find most convenient.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Also big screenshots are automatically fullsized(unless they are much too big) when done by linking externally. either way is fine though.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 pm

adwuga wrote:Also big screenshots are automatically fullsized(unless they are much too big) when done by linking externally. either way is fine though.
Ah yes, that's another thing, imgur has a really nice way to make reasonably sized thumbnails, just add 'm' or 's' before the file-ending and it will automatically give you a medium or small thumbnail. I will use that and then just link the full-sized image when you click it.

So this discussion can at least be a little bit productive I've made some screenshots of the mod:

ImageImageImage

(see how nice and clean those thumbnails look? :P Click them for full-size screenshots)

Good start, here are some suggestions:
  • Add more sparkles - Right now it looks a bit bare, and the sparkles are only emited at the beginning of the move. Perhaps have it continuously create the effect for a second or so.
  • Consider changing sparkles motion a bit more - maybe have them radiating out more and not just in a circle, though I like how they follow the motion of the character.
  • Work on the particle look - Right now they're just basic blurry circles. Try making an interesting texture, or make them smaller so it's not so obvious.
  • The effect is only triggered in the air - Maybe add it when rolling as well?

NMcCoy

Post by NMcCoy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:25 am

There's actually two sets of sparkles right now, an initial burst and a secondary trail.

I'd like to improve the sprite, but I'm slightly mystified by the file format. I'll try a few things and see if they work. Does anyone know if particles can interpolate between colors?

Thanks for the screenshots and suggestions!

last

Post by last » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:35 am

I think you need to make a new shader (make a coppy of old one and modify that coppy) to do that color thing. You may have seen a mod called meat rabbit that David originaly made. I have made some updates to that mod. The shader that i modyfied still works with a163 but the other code that adds footprints and game menu to turn footprints on and off don't.
Here is a link to my veresion of meat rabbit.
Warning. There is onley one file in this mod you should use it is in the meat rabbit a160\Data\GLSL folder named cubemapobjcharrigged.frag. Oh and there is original file for backup also that is working with a163 in the Original a160 files\Data\GLSL folder

NMcCoy

Post by NMcCoy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 am

Significant improvements! Changed the shader so it blends additively, added a new sprite, made it bigger, tweaked the movement a little. Net effect, it's something like Sonic-meets-Starfox by way of spinjump barrelrolls. Unless you turn the alpha back up to 1, in which case you fling lightsabers all over the map.
sparkleflips.zip
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:10 am

NICE! we should make lightsabers!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:37 am

adwuga wrote:NICE! we should make lightsabers!
That'd be an object with a custom shader that makes it glow, not particles.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I know, but it would be awesome, especially if they add dismemberment, and it would use some particle effects. Probably better to save for later.

Unrelatedly (kind of) I wonder if it would be possible to make fire breath(or fire-like particle breath). The mouth open animation is there, particles can be made, and setting things on fire will definitely be added later(like in lugaru, with campfires). Then we could have a sparkleflip variant that burns your enemies :twisted:
I like fire.

Kanza

Post by Kanza » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm

This isn't working properly for me.

I've installed it, but when i play the game and do a flip, the game error's and tells me it's missing "flipspark.tga". Then afterwards, everytime i flip, i get an ugly green cube texture around me.

Possible causes:

I've installed it wrong?

You forgot to include a flipspark texture in the recent update?

last

Post by last » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Yes you are right Kanza. There is no flipspark.tga in Data/Textures/ folder in that mod .zip file