Script and code modding

ninma

Script and code modding

Post by ninma » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,
I really enjoy overgrowth and would like to get started with some actual modding (ive made some custom maps, etc.) but i would like to really start modding properly, which you cant really do without coding/scripting, so I was just wondering how the codes/scripts could be accessed and changed (p.s when i click "script editor" in the editing screen, nothing seems to happen)

Endoperez

Re: Script and code modding

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:55 pm

ninma wrote:Hi,
I really enjoy overgrowth and would like to get started with some actual modding (ive made some custom maps, etc.) but i would like to really start modding properly, which you cant really do without coding/scripting, so I was just wondering how the codes/scripts could be accessed and changed (p.s when i click "script editor" in the editing screen, nothing seems to happen)
Go to Overgrowth installation folder, then to /Data/Scripts.

You can't make scripts that affect objects - you can't have a door script that opens a door, or a rock script that makes that rock create fire particles, or a spiketrap script that animates a trap and deals damage to player. That means advanced custom levels and such are impossible.

Even so, the scripts there are quite impressive.

Oh, and you can edit those scripts while the game is playing, and they are automatically updated!

ninma

Re: Script and code modding

Post by ninma » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

thanks very much :D