[MAP] Temple of the Moon

Amnesiac.ps

[MAP] Temple of the Moon

Post by Amnesiac.ps » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:03 pm

EDIT: First release is ready :D

____________________________________________________________________________________
This is my first attempt at an Overgrowth map.

I still need to vary up the trees, possibly merge the ruins with the wood and "distress" the tower. Plus many other things when they come up.

The temple took me about three days and I've only just started on the surrounding area today.

EDIT: Added a couple more interior shots.
Attachments
Lunartemple.rar
(863.94 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Last edited by Amnesiac.ps on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gogg.B1

Re: [MAP] Temple of the Moon

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 pm

wow looking very good, i'm looking forward to trying this out

KILLTHIS

Post by KILLTHIS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 am

Wow, looks very awesome. Keep it up, I'm highly interested in it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:54 pm

looking great. Can't wait to try this one! The interiors look particularly cool.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Nice. My only criticism is that the flora looks a little unnatural, like landscaping rather than natural trees and grass. Maybe you could add some more variation to the trees, grass, etc.

Amnesiac.ps

Post by Amnesiac.ps » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 am

RAARG

Have barely had any time to work on this since I posted the pics.

I did start varying up the trees though. Think I'm going to spend today making them look a bit nicer.

Probably have to avoid scaling up the the branches. The result is a bit of an eyesore :|

EDIT: A wild tree appears

Gode

Post by Gode » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 pm

This is awesome!

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:53 pm

You say this is your first map?

Amnesiac.ps

Post by Amnesiac.ps » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Been really swamped recently so there's been virtually no progress made.

Fortunately with my driving theory test out of the way I can dedicate a bit more time to it.

As a way to make up for the lack of news I'm uploading the temple file. Incase anyone wants to check it out.

I know it says it's 'complete' but it's not really, I still need to polish up some aspects. There are a few misaligned textures and it needs extra detailing. The ascent up the tower is also not finalised yet. Plus the enemy locations are not included in this file.

While I'm here. Does anyone know of a better way to make a floor? At the moment it is comprised of a series of blocks. This seems to cause some ugly lighting transitions and texture stretching that are bugging me. I'm also curious why some items scale the texture when you resize them and some just stretch it.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Attachments
shrine complete and grouped.xml
Temple file
(264.26 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Amnesiac.ps wrote:While I'm here. Does anyone know of a better way to make a floor? At the moment it is comprised of a series of blocks. This seems to cause some ugly lighting transitions and texture stretching that are bugging me. I'm also curious why some items scale the texture when you resize them and some just stretch it.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Sorry, can't help you with the floor, but the reason some items just stretch is that majority of the blocks were made early in development, before they had the scaling textures, and after they added that they only made the scaling texture for new things and very few old blocks. They have told me in the chat that they will add these textures to pieces that it makes sense to, like blocks, but not something like a backpack.

I usually just use Crete block for floors, and I color them, but it doesn't look as good, and it gets kind of boring.

Amnesiac.ps

Post by Amnesiac.ps » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Cool, thanks for the info.

I did try using Crete for the floor but it ended up looking a bit too flat for a building like this. I have to admit that I didn't think of colouring them differently though. That could at least make it more in keeping with the darker tones of the building.

Will have to do some experimenting with that. :P

kingbonghogg

Post by kingbonghogg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 pm

wow i wish my pc was good enough to play this level it looks epic! good job

Gode

Post by Gode » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Just played through the temple, you did a great job of disguising the jumping challenge in the natural environment! That said, if I could make one suggestion (even though you probably don't wanna change anything now :lol:) it would be to add more variety in the jumps. This game has really great wallrunning/jumping physics and you could have made better use of them. I still had fun, and like I said before, it looks excellent! :)

Amnesiac.ps

Post by Amnesiac.ps » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:30 am

Gode wrote:Just played through the temple, you did a great job of disguising the jumping challenge in the natural environment! That said, if I could make one suggestion (even though you probably don't wanna change anything now :lol:) it would be to add more variety in the jumps. This game has really great wallrunning/jumping physics and you could have made better use of them. I still had fun, and like I said before, it looks excellent! :)

Thanks for the feedback. You're my first playtester :lol:

I do plan to make the platforming more interesting for the ascent. Once you get to the beams I did try to incorporate some wallruns. But their layout means its not really necessary. A redesign of the beams to incorporate a more fun route is on the agenda.

I've been thinking about splitting this into three seperate maps; the temple, the ruins and a wooded scenario. As a way to let me focus on the specific gameplay I had in mind for each area.

At the moment I can't really populate all three sections with enemies and detail while keeping a playable framerate during combat.

So first of all the temple:

I've been testing a series of gravestones at the entrance to the temple. This still keeps a portion of the level outside of the temple itself. Plus they're already more fun to fight amongst than the wooded area. There is now grass too :D
Also toying with a change of scenery. This one is using the grassy beach.
Last edited by Amnesiac.ps on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:30 pm

The second scenery looks better in my opinion.