[Map] How to Overgrowth

Hunt800

[Map] How to Overgrowth

Post by Hunt800 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Tutorial.xml
Belongs in Overgrowth > Data > Levels
(46 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Today has been an exciting, if not confusing, day. I finally caved and bought Overgrowth in the morning, and had it up and running by noon. Being that it's an alpha, the lack of a tutorial didn't surprise me, but it certainly added a layer of confusing-ness to the experience. Still, with the help of IRC and the Wiki, I was able to successfully fool around with several maps and figure out how the game worked. After I'd gotten comfortable, I decided to make my first map. It went well.

Because I was just playing around, I decided to try and wrap everything I'd learned into a single map. The easiest way to do that was by making a tutorial. What way would have been better? And so, after more time than I'd like to admit, I finished the map. It's incredibly simple, and not very good, but I thought I'd share it because it does outline the game's key controls. It started getting laggy, so I had to cut the "story" short, and I didn't get to introduce ideas as gradually as I would have liked, but I'd still like to think it's something. If you're like me and just starting out, why not follow these steps:

1.) Install the game. After that, install SUMLauncher. It's an incredibly useful tool that auto-updates your game and allows you to easily install the Menu Mod, which gives you access to tons of awesome custom content.

2.) Play this map (I have to include this, don't I?). To do so, install the .xml file attached to this post and put it in your Levels folder. Where is this? To find it, go to your Overgrowth directory, followed by going into Data and then Levels. Just put the file in the Levels folder (not Project60). Afterwards, launch the game and type "Tutorial.xml" next to where it says "Or load a custom level." Hit "Load".

3.) Realize that this is my first map, and therefore you CAN do better! Having done this step, immediately head to the wiki and read up on how to really play the game. I suggest this page because it explains the controls in pretty good detail, as well as revealing the Alpha commands (stuff like pressing tab to slow time).

4.) Go explore. There's nothing like just fooling around to actually help figure things out. Open an official map (or a custom one if you've installed the Menu Mod) and jump around, kill things, and build. This community is awesome, so if anything breaks or your confused, just head to IRC (press the image at the top of this page).

Thanks for all the people who do give this a try. Special thanks to everyone who read my wall of text.
Last edited by Hunt800 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gogg.B1

Re: [Map] How to Overgrowth

Post by Gogg.B1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 pm

nice map, it was fun and informative. it does certainly go through the basics and i like the way you presented it all. the only thing i noticed was the wording on one of your signs that talks about dodging but it says right click to dodge but you Block/Grab with right click and you use WASD to dodge but you have to time it the same way you would time a block and you have to be close enough to where a block would have worked as well. not sure if just the wording was off or not but i figured i might as well mention it. other than that everything's perfect. great job awesome to see a tutorial level, good idea

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Cool map, and a great idea. I think that if you were to start the player character slightly higher, or place him slightly behind the first text box, it would make it show up easier when you first start a level. (I always have to leave the box then come back to read the first bit of text...)

Also, added to the menu mod! :)

Hunt800

Post by Hunt800 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks! Also, I uploaded a second version. Nothing major has been changed, but I fixed the wording that Gogg brought up, and I moved the character higher up to trigger the first hotspot/textbox.

Janekkubek

Post by Janekkubek » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:35 pm

I really enjoyed "chatting" with characters on the map. Maybe you could think about little story involved into your next map? :) Without manual "game about" dialogues, but ones keeping player immersed :)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I updated the menu mod with your newer update, so people will get this version when they install it. :)