[MAP] Training Arena

MrCrinkle

[MAP] Training Arena

Post by MrCrinkle » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:25 pm

This is my first map for Overgrowth, called training arena. It's a sort of tutorial for movement/parkour techniques in the game. It's not quite done but I'd like to get some feedback on it before I start adding details and stuff. Also, if there's any techniques that aren't in there please let me know and I'll add them.

In the final version I'd like to have flags that you can collect on the way, so the player knows where to go. If anyone knows if there is a way to add or remove objects through script it would be very helpful.

training_arena.xml
(128.29 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Mogwok

Re: [MAP] Training Arena

Post by Mogwok » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I had some troubles when loading the map.

I'm pretty new around here, so I don't know if it's something I missed elsewhere that I should have downloaded, or just your map. After I incur a few errors loading textures, the map loads, but without the skybox.

I'll list what came up as errors:

"C:/Users/____/Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Textures/skies/cirrus2_volcano_slope.tga
_training_arena_cube.dds" not found

"C:/Users/____/Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Textures/skies/cirrus2_volcano_slope.tga
_training_arena_cube_diffuse.dds" not found

_training_arena_cube_spec.dds" not found

MrCrinkle

Post by MrCrinkle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm

That is normal. For some reason the devs decided to hardcode skybox textures with the map name, so you need to make new textures for each map. If you want the skybox textures, just copy one that is already there and replace the level name with "training_arena". If you can run the level though this is unnecessary, unless you want to see the skybox.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Actually, they aren't hardcoded. Check out your .xml file, you should be able to find this:

Code: Select all

<Sky>
    <DomeTexture>Data/Textures/skies/blue4.tga</DomeTexture>
    <SunAngularRad>0.147508</SunAngularRad>
    <SunColorAngle>348.177</SunColorAngle>
    <RayToSun r0="0.823090" r1="0.310594" r2="-0.475451" />
    <ExtraAO>0</ExtraAO>
</Sky>

MrCrinkle

Post by MrCrinkle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

What I meant was that they hard coded the game to look for a texture with the level's name in it, like this:

.../Data/Textures/skies/cirrus2_volcano_slope.tga_training_arena_cube.dd

So you can change the texture if you want, but you need a different texture for each level. Since I just used one of the default textures, you can just make a copy and change the level name in the texture to my level name and it should work.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 am

Huh? I've never had to do anything like that myself. Are you sure those .dds files aren't just generated by the texture caching system from their parent .tga_converted.dds file?

MrCrinkle

Post by MrCrinkle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

That would make sense, but how are the textures generated? So when someone uses my map, how would they get the right textures so that it doesn't give them an error?

last

Post by last » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:33 pm

You can get all the original, not converted sky textures when you download either Anton's main menu mod or you install them from a .zip file

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Awesome little map! I really like the flow to it, and the descriptions. I did get lost at one point, but that was ok... Perhaps using colored blocks would help guide people.

Also, I've added it to the menu mod. :)

MrCrinkle

Post by MrCrinkle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Glad you liked it. I'm planning to add flags to show where to go, but I'm not sure how yet.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 am

MrCrinkle wrote:Glad you liked it. I'm planning to add flags to show where to go, but I'm not sure how yet.
Decals are one good option. Coloring the blocks specific colors to lead you along would be another.

macbook24

Post by macbook24 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 pm

What ever i downloaded makes a game open on my computer EVERY TIME! Please help and WTF.