[Characters] Chameleon/Frog (WIP)

Macrauchenia

[Characters] Chameleon/Frog (WIP)

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 am

So I've been having a lot of trouble rigging this character, but I figured I'd go ahead and post the model anyways. There are still a few tweaks I need to make.

His tail is really what's giving me trouble. I figure if I can't get it working soon I'll put him on the back burner and make a frog character. :mrgreen:

Props to Le Petit Docteur for the inspiration, I never would have started this project if I hadn't seen his custom characters.
Last edited by Macrauchenia on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: [Character] Chameleon (WIP)

Post by Constance » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 am

He looks really really smooth and nice, can't wait to see what he'll look textured!

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:51 am

Looking good!

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:55 am

one thing i have is that when i saw a wild chameleon (Cape Dwarf chameleon) instead of having 3 small toes on the front and back of the foot, they have 2 huge ones on either side.

also keep in mind that chameleons are so adapted to gripping branches, they struggle to walk on flat surfaces.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Timbles wrote:He looks really really smooth and nice, can't wait to see what he'll look textured!
That's still a few steps away for me (I want to get the rig working first), but I definetly have some ideas for him. I'd love to assign a color pallet to each section of his body, so it will be possible to make him any color...similar to a real chameleon. :mrgreen:
Le Petit Docteur wrote:Looking good!
Thanks Le Petit Docteur!
human_dictionary wrote:one thing i have is that when i saw a wild chameleon (Cape Dwarf chameleon) instead of having 3 small toes on the front and back of the foot, they have 2 huge ones on either side.

also keep in mind that chameleons are so adapted to gripping branches, they struggle to walk on flat surfaces.
You're totally right, I don't know why I was thinking they had 5 toes on their back feet. Here's the updated model:

edited into my first post

I figure if rabbits and wolves can run around on their hind legs in the Overgrowth universe, so can chameleons. :wink:

Macrauchenia

Re: [Characters] Chameleon/Frog (WIP)

Post by Macrauchenia » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 pm

So the tail on the chameleon intersects itself, and it's going to be quite a chore to fix that. So I decided to go ahead and model a frog character.

I tried to texture it too:

This is not the final version, of either the model or the texture, but I think it will look something like that when I'm done.

I also got the untextured model working in Overgrowth:

I have the character rigged... sort of (weight painting is a pain), and I tried to get it working in game, but I still have a few problems to work out. I'm sure I can get it working eventually though. :)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I hope you'll keep the frog and chameleon's models simple and smooth like that, I think it looks really nice that way.

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 am

i like them both,but i think the frog has a more interesting atletic shape, not so bulky, but more fittable with the overgrowth design.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Timbles wrote:I hope you'll keep the frog and chameleon's models simple and smooth like that, I think it looks really nice that way.
Thanks! The only changes I'll make to the actual models are small- like adding wrinkles to the chameleons eyes, or adjusting the frog's feet a bit more. I'd like to add a scaly texture to the chameleon, but the model won't change much.
Le Petit Docteur wrote:i like them both,but i think the frog has a more interesting atletic shape, not so bulky, but more fittable with the overgrowth design.
I'm thinking the chameleon character might have to wait a bit because of that- I'm having a tough time rigging his larger frame to any current skeleton. I hope when the rat character is released his skeleton will be a bit more compatible with it.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Ok, so I have everything set up for the frog character, but I think something is going wrong with exporting the .phxbn files. The file I get is around 7kb compared to 400-600kb that the other files are. I'm thinking it's only exporting the skeleton and not the mesh weighted to it also, because when I try to load the character I get the error: "Model name not found. Aborting object load." I'm sure I'll find a solution to this eventually, but man is it getting on my nerves...

Besides that, I worked on the model/texture a bit more. Here is the final version:

spudy

Post by spudy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:16 am

aww he so cute cant wait to see him running around in overgrowth so i can use tuner to ram a dog sword into his skull :twisted: no but sweet models your doing a great job :)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm

I definitely would like to drop-kick onto his head though.
Also, when the flying mod came out, I thought it would be awesome to have an Turner Icarus, with mechanical wings.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:24 pm

That is awesome. I can't wait to brutalize wolves with that frog.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am

spudy wrote:aww he so cute cant wait to see him running around in overgrowth so i can use tuner to ram a dog sword into his skull :twisted: no but sweet models your doing a great job :)
Haha, wow I've spent so much time imagining playing as him, I forgot how awesome he'll be as an enemy. Thanks spudy!
Timbles wrote:I definitely would like to drop-kick onto his head though.
Also, when the flying mod came out, I thought it would be awesome to have an Turner Icarus, with mechanical wings.
That would be pretty awesome. The mechanical wings would be tough to do in Sculptris, hard edges are almost impossible.
Skofo wrote:That is awesome. I can't wait to brutalize wolves with that frog.
Soon enough I hope. :)

So I've got everything set up how it's supposed to be (I'm gonna have to re-texture it though, I redid the UV map), but I keep getting this error every time I try to load the character:

I'm sure it's exporting that along with the .phxbn file, but I can't even find the _I0 objects in the blender interface. Any ideas on how to find them and delete them? (The other custom characters don't have them, I'm assuming I don't need them.)

last

Post by last » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:22 am

look into the .xml file in Data/Characters (i use turner.xml here) Find your character file that looks exactly the same as hes.
Now the file has <morphs> in there and bunch of other stuff to. I suggest you to delete everything between <morphs> and </visemes> (including them to). Save and try to load your character again.
Actually what this error says is that it wants to have morphs for your character hands, mouth and eyes.