[Models] Old China V2

Markuss

[Models] Old China V2

Post by Markuss » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Optimised and Improved

After the first release of my "Old China" art assets i realised that they were "too modular", meaning that they were difficult to work with and would take up too many rendering resources due to the amount of individual objects a map would need.

Thus, i have combined many of the textures and objects, for example, instead of a single wall or doorway there are now whole rooms as a single object, and a few peices have been re-modelled.

Files: http://www.markstockton.com/misc/OldChina.zip

(Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License)

last

Re: [Models] Old China V2

Post by last » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I wonder, why so quiet?
The first release of Old China was awesome. To bad that it is so hard to include into the game right now. What i mean by that is the fact that you can't download only those objects/textures that the level you want to share with people uses, you have to download all the package. I hope that David and SUM launcher guys will make it happen, that you can download only those objects/textures that this level needs.

Now some complains about the objects itself you have made.
They have really good textures on them but what some of them are missing is detailmaps. This will open up a whole new world to your objects. What i mean is that when you take a let's say a cat_patio_box, you can stretch it in any direction and it's texture don't stretch along.
Sad thing is that to achieve this effect you may have to retexture some objects or when you are lucky you only need to create a new weightmap and change object .xml file.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for the response, it is very quiet.

It shouldn't be too difficult to delete the files that you don't need, the files are named so that you can tell what objects use what texture, but a simpler solution would be to just say: "this level requires this asset pack".

I know what you mean about the detail maps, trouble is that alot of the geometry won't like to scale very long in one direction and it would take alot of work.

I hope to make a bigger splash with my next set of models, which just need exporting (still quite a long process).

spudy

Post by spudy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:58 am

Great Work! I was all night messing around with your mod the objects are amazing.
There very easy to work with i tested the objects by loading all your items on single map just to see how much FSP go's down and i was extremely shocked when the FPS went down very little.Nice job now i can start building full towns and not worry about the FPS going very low. :wink:
I hope to make a bigger splash with my next set of models, which just need exporting (still quite a long process).

Cant wait for next set of models but for now old china will keep me happy for long time :D

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

last wrote:ITo bad that it is so hard to include into the game right now. What i mean by that is the fact that you can't download only those objects/textures that the level you want to share with people uses, you have to download all the package. I hope that David and SUM launcher guys will make it happen, that you can download only those objects/textures that this level needs.
I definitely want to include this in the menu mod, but up until this point, the size of the mod was as big as the entire menu mod, and I can't force people to download over 2 GB just to install the menu mod. Also, I don't know if my server could handle that much traffic! (I'm already hosting over a terabyte every month for the menu mod!) But, in our next update of SUMLauncher, we'll be able to download individual maps, and everything will be broken up, so it's not just one big download. We'll also be able to download zipped files, which will make everything smaller. I think we'll also be able to implement downloading from other servers, and not just mine, so that way, Markuss may still host his assets on his site, but you'll be able to install it from inside of SUMLauncher.
I have seen some serious progress on this next update recently, and I expect it will be out early next year at the latest... (I hope...)

As for the assets, I always love the work you do Markuss, glad to see you've been working on this more! I am a little busy with work at the moment, but this is high on my list of assets to install again! :)

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Wow, really cool stuff! Everything looks pretty darn perfect from those screenshots. Nice work!

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm

thanks for the replies, working on the next set now...

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

This is really an amazing work, Thank you so much for doing it! Keep it up and Good Luck! =D

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:14 am

So everytime I try to unzip the files in this pack I get the error: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

I'm using a version of WinRar that's ridiculously old at this point probably, so that might have something to do with it. Anyone else having a similar issue?

spudy

Post by spudy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

works for me but first time i put into my game i had the viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10921 old china so i had to delete it be4 i could use the new one.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Well I'm not sure what I did, but it works now.

Nice work, Markuss! The attention to detail is spectacular (just like your American City objects), and everything runs just silky smooth.

Is there a way to add an additional tab in the spawner? It would be nice if your objects had their own without overwriting the O2 tab.

Or maybe in the next SUMlauncher update they could be added to the community tab.