[Character] Frog (playable)

Macrauchenia

[Character] Frog (playable)

Post by Macrauchenia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Well here he is. :mrgreen:

The UV seams are sort of visible (update: fixed!), and there are a few spots during certain animations where the model glitches a bit. He's rigged to the wolf skeleton, so he uses the wolf's attacks and voice. I'd eventually like to add a few custom animations and make him ribbit (updated: added!), but for the meantime I think it works ok.

http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads.php?f=frog.zip
(UPDATED: 1/03)

edit: To spawn him, click the load external item button in the editor, navigate to data/objects/IGF_Characters folder and load the "frogactor.xml" file. Click the ground to load him. Once he's loaded, select him and press "CTRL+P" to set him as a playable character. Still selected, press "CTRL+SHIFT+P" to bring up the color palette editor.
Last edited by Macrauchenia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 am, edited 12 times in total.

zzbolt

Re: [Character] Frog (playable)

Post by zzbolt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Looks Awesome! Great job!

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:51 pm

zzbolt wrote:Looks Awesome! Great job!
Thanks! I still want to clean it up a bit. I'll hopefully get a version 2.0 up before too long. :D

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:19 pm

He's lookin' a bit translucent there :P

Great job, I know you said it's difficult for the shading/lighting to work as needed. Good luck getting those animations and sounds done. Looking forward to it ;)

Jakebob123

Post by Jakebob123 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Sorry to ask what must be quite an obvious question but can anyone tell me how to play as the frog? I have downloaded the file and placed the components in all the right places. Do I need to replace one of the other characters with the frog?

Thanks

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am

Advance123 wrote:He's lookin' a bit translucent there :P

Great job, I know you said it's difficult for the shading/lighting to work as needed. Good luck getting those animations and sounds done. Looking forward to it ;)
Ya I think the normal map is backwards somehow. I'm still figuring out how to fix that in Blender.
Jakebob123 wrote:Sorry to ask what must be quite an obvious question but can anyone tell me how to play as the frog? I have downloaded the file and placed the components in all the right places. Do I need to replace one of the other characters with the frog?

Thanks
So after you extracted the zip file to your Wolfire directory, in the editor mode in-game click load item, then click the small folder icon to load an object that's not in the item browser. Navigate to data/objects/IGF_Characters/ and load the file IGF_FrogActor.xml. Once he's in game, select him and press ctrl+P to play as him.

With the next version I'll make him show up in the item browser so he's a bit easier to load.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Macrauchenia wrote:Ya I think the normal map is backwards somehow. I'm still figuring out how to fix that in Blender.
I haven't figured out a way. The problem is that one of the channels is baked in with wrong data - Blender expects the result to be interpreted one way, but Overgrowth doesn't do it that way. There's no option in Blender to bake it in a different way.

IIRC the wrong axis is the up/down axis, and it's baked into blue channel.

Here are two workarounds:

You can trick Blender into rendering it the correct way by changing the object. When you do the baking, (preferably in a separate file so as to not screw up your rig and stuff), scale the model by -1 in the Z direction, and apply changes. Ctrl+A, Apply visual thingies. When you bake the normals after this, since the model is upside down, up is down.

Another way to fix this is by using an image editing software that lets you edit channels, such as Photoshop or Gimp. Open the baked normalmap open the Channels tab, select the correct layer, and Invert it.I think it's the blue channel, but don't quote me on that.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Endoperez wrote: I haven't figured out a way. The problem is that one of the channels is baked in with wrong data - Blender expects the result to be interpreted one way, but Overgrowth doesn't do it that way. There's no option in Blender to bake it in a different way.

IIRC the wrong axis is the up/down axis, and it's baked into blue channel.

Here are two workarounds:

You can trick Blender into rendering it the correct way by changing the object. When you do the baking, (preferably in a separate file so as to not screw up your rig and stuff), scale the model by -1 in the Z direction, and apply changes. Ctrl+A, Apply visual thingies. When you bake the normals after this, since the model is upside down, up is down.

Another way to fix this is by using an image editing software that lets you edit channels, such as Photoshop or Gimp. Open the baked normalmap open the Channels tab, select the correct layer, and Invert it.I think it's the blue channel, but don't quote me on that.
Hooray that fixed it! I used Blender to scale it -1 in the Z direction, that seemed the easiest.

(edit: hmm, sort of. I think something isn't right quite yet. On certain levels it doesn't look right)

I'll upload a new version to the original post here in a second.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Ok, NOW the normals are correct.

I had to adjust the model -1 in the Z axis, and -1 in the Y axis, so the model was upside down and backwards when I baked the normals.

(I'll update the original post with the newest version)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm

That screenshot looks like plenty of badass.

CryptoSeven

Post by CryptoSeven » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Feels damn good to squash these slimy kermits.

SteinarKF

Post by SteinarKF » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 am

How do I play as the frog, like what's the hotkey? please help.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:37 am

There's no hotkey to change the current character to frog. Modded characters and objects, like the frog, aren't listed in the menus and stuff before someone adds them manually.

You have to do all of the following in the Editor mode. Press Esc to enter editor mode, choose "Load Object" from the menu, and press the little folder icon to browse for the frog's XML file, and then click on the level to place it. If the game crashes or gives errors when loading, you probably haven't put the folders into the correct place. If the frog appears but doesn't move at all (like a statue), you probable chose a wrong XML file.

Once you have out the frog into the level as an enemy character, select the box that marks where it spawned, and press Ctrl+P (or Command+P in Mac) to make it into player-controlled character.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 am

I think my hesitation with adding him to the in-game spawner is there are so many characters nowadays there is basically a new character.js file for every one.

I think it would be better to have someone add them all to the community item browser.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Macrauchenia wrote:I think it would be better to have someone add them all to the community item browser.
This