[Character] Ninja Rabbit!

RagdollZombie

[Character] Ninja Rabbit!

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Edit: I'm not uploading it anymore sorry. ^^ Plus i need more space in my Dropbox... I might make remake it someday, but idk.
Last edited by RagdollZombie on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

last

Re: [Character] Ninja Bunny W.I.P. and morph targets?

Post by last » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 am

When you look carefully in OG character files in Data/Characters folder you see that the original characters have defined morphs in their .xml file like so (taken from base_guard.xml file)

Code: Select all

<morphs>
        <fist_l num_steps = "4"/>
        <fist_r num_steps = "4"/>
        <mouth_open />
        <ah />
        <oh />
        <w />
        <sneer />
        <frown />
        <wink_l />
        <wink_r />
        <look_u />
        <look_d />
        <look_f />
        <look_b />
    </morphs>
    <visemes>
        <AH>ah</AH>
        <AO>oh</AO>
        <EH>ah</EH>
        <IY>ah</IY>
        <r>w</r>
        <l>ah</l>
        <w>w</w>
        <n>ah</n>
    </visemes>
Now when you go to Data\Models\Characters\IGF_Guard (maybe you should look into turner's folder because there are some more important files there like IGF_Turner_fur.obj) folder you see that there is many .obj files. Each of this file is a morph file that you can import into blender and look what's different than the original file.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 am

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/08/Hand-sh ... ate-frames

Morph target - the same model, with the exact same amount of vertices, but with some of those vertices moved.

In the example given above, the morph targets are made by rigging the hand, animating the poses, and then exporting the model.

If you haven't added any vertices and removed any vertices, the old morph targets will work. If you've removed a vertex and then added it back in, the morph targets won't work any more.

Imagine all the vertices as a list, starting from the right thumb, going up the arm until you're around the neck, then suddenly jumping to the toes and climbing up, then the head etc. The first vertex on the list would be the first vertex created. The latest would be the last one added. In most cases, the order is very random.
The computer doesn't try to understand the mesh, it just checks if there's a difference between vertex 1 in the base mesh and vertex 1 in the morph target, and so on for vertices 2, 3, 4... 1000000. If you add or remove vertices, the list will be slightly different, and then suddenly the leg is moving towards the mouth while mouth is right ear and right ear is crotch and crotch is left thumb and right thigh and... yeah.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I really like how he looks so far. An entirely different direction for "Ninja Rabbit" for sure.

With the morph targets, because this is the "naked" version of the rabbit (no armor), wouldn't that mean there are less vertices in this model? Would the morph targets still work?

Either way I'm excited to play as him when you get him finished. :D

RagdollZombie

Re: [Character] Ninja Bunny!

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks! I've decided to skip the morph targets for now since it seems a bit complicated, he's still a cute bunneh either way. :3 and I can't wait to make him playable! I'll update this once its done. :D

RagdollZombie

Re: [Character] Ninja Rabbit!

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 am

UPDATE: He's now a playable character! I've put the dropbox link in the first post :D I hope you guys like this character! The reason i hadn't put it up in a long time was because I was still trying to fix issues that I had gotten with all of my previous characters too! I will be trying to update my other characters as soon as i can! School has started, so i will be pretty busy...

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Awesome! I think his rig is SLIGHTLY different than the other rabbits, but that just makes him move in his own unique style. Very cool.

I'm having a similar problem with adding a palette map for my chameleon character. I don't have pictures, but where I have the palette map colored is not where it's adjusting the color on the character in game.

I have no idea why that is, but I know it's frustrating to say the least. :x

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 pm

speaking of his own unique style... maybe i should try to make custom animations for him! :D I like variation especially in character animations, so maybe instead of him just having the usual rabbit animation, he can have ones that will make him unique! He also can kind of be an assassin too, by the way his outfit looks, so maybe I can make a version of him with "assassin" like animations too XD
(by the way, does anybody know how to make custom animations? I haven't found any tutorials on it yet XD)

And this is how my palette map looks, and how it looks in game when i change the colors of them
the problem probably is just that I didn't do a good job with coloring the correct spots XD
ninja_p_2.png
ninja palette gone horribly wrong XD.png

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 pm

And again with morph targets, do i have to make a obj file for each mesh morph? (like for his eyes for example: Ninja_look_u.obj?
if so, then i might have an idea for morph targets on custom character meshes :D
if this DOES work, then you could be able to morph a custom mesh (like my monster character for example) and he will look around using the morphs and make a fist with his claws.

last

Post by last » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:And this is how my palette map looks, and how it looks in game when i change the colors of them the problem probably is just that I didn't do a good job with coloring the correct spots XD
You probably didn't have any clue what you are supposed to do when you painted this palette map, right?
So let's get back to the future. Oh, wrong place :oops: . Let's get back to the Gimp.
So, now that we are in gimp and we have loaded up your total mess, we should look for this little Dialog/window.
You can get this in the Windows menu- Dockable Dialogs- Channels.
This thing will allow you to edit each channel, red, green, blue and Alpha, separately from each other.

Now that you are familiar with this you can start edit, but make sure that you only color the right channel with it's right color, unless you want to blend multiple colors together in the Overgrowth coloring tool.
Edit:
And again with morph targets, do i have to make a obj file for each mesh morph? (like for his eyes for example: Ninja_look_u.obj?
You can look it up yourself, but yes, you have to make morph .obj for each individual morph.