[Map] Caput Mortuum Shards

iDubbbz

[Map] Caput Mortuum Shards

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:30 am

Just a silly, little parkour map I spent a couple days making. I recommend not calculating shadows or ambient occlusion. I really didn't make it with those elements in mind (my bad). Calculating shadows isn't horrible, but it hinders your vision a bit. :(

Also if a thumbnail is needed for the community content browser, here's this:

Objectives:

Parkour to the top!

Hardcore Objectives:

Parkour to the top AND find all six eggs along the way!

I intended this map to be lag friendly. There are no enemies, it uses the dead volcano map, and I tried to use as few objects as possible, within reason.

Here is a video of me playing it beginning to end and getting all the eggs along the way.
If you aren't interested in the video, below are some screenshots (after calculating shadows and ambient occlusion)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments
caput_mortuum.xml
(67.21 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by iDubbbz on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice

Re: [Map] Caput Mortuum Shards

Post by Ice » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:31 am

Cool map, just watched your video playing through it and I will try it for myself now :)

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Ice wrote:Cool map, just watched your video playing through it and I will try it for myself now :)
Thanks man! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to slowly improve on this map. If you find any inherit problems, or just things that might make it look better, let me know! :D

elegaro

Post by elegaro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

awesome map...love the colors and the minimalist style.
love it

Caiser4

Post by Caiser4 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

One of my favourites. Simple, fresh and challenging. It took me a while, but I managed to complete it start to finish without using "checkpoints". I did use this shortcut though, without realising that there was another way of getting on top of that thing:

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Caiser4 wrote:One of my favourites. Simple, fresh and challenging. It took me a while, but I managed to complete it start to finish without using "checkpoints". I did use this shortcut though, without realising that there was another way of getting on top of that thing:
WOWOW! Impressive! Thanks for playing it! That looked really cool. I'm glad you brought it to my attention because now I'm going to put something in the way :wink:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Added to the Community Content Browser in SUMLauncher. :)

Dozenbeer

Post by Dozenbeer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 am

Hey, I am new to this game and would like to know how you pulled these fast wall jumps off? Everytime I do them I just loose more and more momentum. Is there a tutorial for this kind of jumping skills?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am

Dozenbeer wrote:Hey, I am new to this game and would like to know how you pulled these fast wall jumps off? Everytime I do them I just loose more and more momentum. Is there a tutorial for this kind of jumping skills?
The best tutorial is to play the map "Hex 01" by Silverfish. It will help you practice, and also learn how to chain the wall jumps together.

Typically the best practice seems to be, once you jump, continue to hold space bar (which keeps your upward momentum) and hold forward (which keeps your forward momentum). Then, use the shift key to "roll" off the walls, which will cause a wall jump.