Paying for a custom model textured and playable

aeorazumith

Paying for a custom model textured and playable

Post by aeorazumith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Ive been curious about this idea in meh head for a bit you can give me feed back on what you think im just wondering does anyone think it would be legit or pretty OK to pay for a decent model textured and playable....actually i was thinking custom animations too for that matter i mean as long as someones paid to do it or maybe im just ranting gimme feedback :mrgreen:

HGunasekera

Re: Paying for a custom model textured and playable

Post by HGunasekera » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 am

A big Hd graficly overgrowth real like Tiger probz

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 am

Yes, of course it's possible. You have to find someone willing to do it, and you both should agree on some rules beforehand. For example, how long is it supposed to take, how good does it have to be, what will happen if it gets only partially finished, etc.

Also, anyone who's good at this stuff (and by good, I mean something like Andrige's bear) could probably get more money for doing a similar-quality model for something that isn't Overgrowth. Still, you could get one of the modders in here to make something fun and playable for you.

HGunasekera

Post by HGunasekera » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 am

Endoperez wrote:Yes, of course it's possible. You have to find someone willing to do it, and you both should agree on some rules beforehand. For example, how long is it supposed to take, how good does it have to be, what will happen if it gets only partially finished, etc.

Also, anyone who's good at this stuff (and by good, I mean something like Andrige's bear) could probably get more money for doing a similar-quality model for something that isn't Overgrowth. Still, you could get one of the modders in here to make something fun and playable for you.

great idea :)

aeorazumith

Post by aeorazumith » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm

im glad i got some positive feedback i just thought this would provide most people to be paid for there skill as i feel they deserve it and also its nice to have lots of variety growing in the game originality makes everything 10x better 8)

uriah12g

Post by uriah12g » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:21 pm

I think we should just have no dlc that cost money :D . Like, I payed for the game, let me get full access of it! :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 am

uriah12g wrote:I think we should just have no dlc that cost money :D . Like, I payed for the game, let me get full access of it! :)
This has nothing to do with that.

He's paying for someone else to do something for him. It's like buying a car and paying someone to paint flames into it - you can buy the same car, but it doesn't come with flames.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 am

I'd assume as long as you're just paying for the model and not the final in-game-ready object, it should be fine. Nobody can really stop you since it's your money, and as long as you're not infringing on anyone's trademarks, you're not breaking the law.

(Not sure about whether you could pay for it to be playable though. That might slightly be going into using Wolfire's engine for commercial use, which would be slightly iffy. Though I guess morally it's fine and I doubt they'll stop you but technically, for it to be entirely legal, you'd have to get it in-game yourself :| )

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see anything illegal with it. The only thing that might be troublesome is using the Blender exporter, and I don't think that's been restricted in any way. Why do you think it might be illegal? Or rather, why do you think it's any different than making and selling 3D models (which is legal)?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Endoperez wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see anything illegal with it. The only thing that might be troublesome is using the Blender exporter, and I don't think that's been restricted in any way. Why do you think it might be illegal? Or rather, why do you think it's any different than making and selling 3D models (which is legal)?
Selling 3D models isn't illegal at all but I'm not sure if OG's TOS covers using the engine for commercial use. So it would be totallly fine to pay for a model that's made using Blender or anything else outside of OG but it might be slightly illegal to have the tag finalised in-game as part of the contract since they'd be using Wolfire's engine for something they're going to sell.

So it's not really illegal and I doubt Wolfire would care but technically, the last tagging bit, not the modelling, would be against the TOS, I think.

I'm not a lawyer either so I may be slightly incorrect but I think that's pretty much the situation legal-wise.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 am

The only way to be sure would be to ask someone in the Wolfire team or, perhaps, a lawyer.

But as far as I know, they wouldn't CREATE the model in Phoenix engine, or edit it, or adjust it. The model is created in a 3D package, rigged in Blender, textured in Photoshop or whatever, exported as phxbn and OBJ files and png/jpg files and XML text files. The Phoenix engine reads those files. It doesn't create them - as far as I know.

What do you mean by "finalized in-game"?

johndh

Post by johndh » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:36 am

I'm not a lawyer but I've dabbled in copyright, and I know of no legal complications that would be caused by this AS LONG AS all of the created work is original. Modeling, texturing, animating, and configuring a character to be used with a proprietary engine is not a violation of anybody's intellectual property rights unless it incorporates someone else's IP. For example, if you take the rig or texture from Turner and used it in your own character, you'd be infringing on Wolfire's copyright unless they gave you permission.