Deer character (Comments, suggestions, etc. welcome)

NecroBite
Location: A strange little place called Nowhere in Particular.

Deer character (Comments, suggestions, etc. welcome)

Post by NecroBite » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Current progress:
it's been a whole year since my last update... let's just say I had a very busy year. I feel bad about leaving you all in suspense for so long; you've all probably given up hope by now, which I totally understand. my interests kinda moved away from modding and such (or at least, from this project), so I've decided to upload the files for you guys to play with and use

I've been tossing the idea around of releasing the files for a while now and decided I probably wasn't going to get back to work on this, so here all yins are:
mediafire link

regrettably, there's not nearly as much muscle detailing as I would've wished - I was terrible at anatomy (still kind of am) - but there's 3 files and a readme. hopefully useful to someone out there
the low-poly's finished, btw. it's in there

Finished the high-poly and am working on the low-poly.
[+] old
(with stats)
(with stats)
3,918 tri right now. (Counting the eyes.)
3,918 tri right now. (Counting the eyes.)
[+] Variant
That variant I promised to make. This one looks a lot more like the original concept.
That variant I promised to make. This one looks a lot more like the original concept.
High-poly, but I actually lowered the poly count by about a million. ._.
High-poly, but I actually lowered the poly count by about a million. ._.
After this, I'll work on the normals/bump mapping and overall texturing. Then maybe I can come up with some custom moves for this guy. As always, if you have any comments, suggestions (please) or ideas, those are welcome but taken with a grain of salt.
Last edited by NecroBite on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:49 am, edited 13 times in total.

Thomason1005

Re: Deer character (Comments, suggestions, etc. welcome)

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 am

Nah belts cant be too low its cool like that, id rather say the neck is too fat and his lungs / ribcage looks a bit blown up, though that might be intendend. otherwise it really looks cool, i like the face and the feet most.

always cool to have some hq custom characters

chaoslord5

Post by chaoslord5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:59 am

Great character, love the concept with hooves for kicking, however maybe it could have full horns?
finally, what program did you use to create this wonderful beast?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:03 am

I think the head looks too small. Especially compared to his chest, which looks kind of big to me. I like the way the arms, hands, hooves and lower legs look.

Finally, nice work! :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Silverfish wrote:I think the head looks too small. Especially compared to his chest, which looks kind of big to me. I like the way the arms, hands, hooves and lower legs look.

Finally, nice work! :)

I agree - the head look small especially compared to that neck, but the rest looks great and it's pretty good overall.

NecroBite

Post by NecroBite » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:Nah belts cant be too low its cool like that, id rather say the neck is too fat and his lungs / ribcage looks a bit blown up, though that might be intended. ...
It was, actually. He has floofy neck fur and a puffy shirt/pants, though I might make the top more form-fitting now. Make it into a vest like I'd originally intended.
EDIT: Just did that actually. Looks better, imo.
chaoslord5 wrote:Great character, love the concept with hooves for kicking, however maybe it could have full horns?
finally, what program did you use to create this wonderful beast?
I was going to give him full horns, but I thought that they might look funny going through the ground when you roll.
I use Sculptris, but after I'm finished sculpting him, I'll move on to Blender and make a low-poly. Both are free. I think those two are pretty much what everyone use? :| I'm not sure.

Thanks for the support/comments, guys. I'll try to improve it to the best of my abilities. Post a new screen here when I've updated it. I'm saving full-on texturing for last because I suck at texturing.

EDIT: Took the suggestions as they were (Head too small, chest too big, neck too big). Somewhat, anyhow. The head is somewhat bigger and I enlarged the jaw a bit (it didn't look right in profile).
Lowered the poly-count by about 200k. Added detail to the belt and a bit to the shirt. Took suggestions (mostly).
Lowered the poly-count by about 200k. Added detail to the belt and a bit to the shirt. Took suggestions (mostly).

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 am

Niice
for the horns i would suggest you make them seperate objects so they can be attached easily in the game and that they can be switched out without having to make a new char
that did be cool

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:02 am

Thomason1005 wrote:Niice
for the horns i would suggest you make them seperate objects so they can be attached easily in the game and that they can be switched out without having to make a new char
that did be cool
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't saving a level with objects attached to the characters bug a bit (not save correctly, crash upon load, not having the object attached upon loading)?
EDIT: Not at all.
Last edited by Constance on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NecroBite

Small update

Post by NecroBite » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:52 am

Just a small update on the clothing and how that's going. Will have more to show next time.
Hopefully I can learn how to sculpt clothing wrinkles and whatnot. Maybe find some good references to guesstimate off of. (Huh... Apparently guesstimate is a real word, guys.)
Or I might just keep it simple like this. It kind of looks nice.
Removed another (pointless) 100k or so. Added some more detail to the clothing.
Removed another (pointless) 100k or so. Added some more detail to the clothing.
Thinking of putting an insignia on the back of the vest. Any ideas? Or do you think I should just make one up? "This is a deer tribe symbol" etc. etc.

Randomly: I've decided to name the deer Jericho. It seems like a fitting name.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 am

No 1: Antlers pls
I don't know if you based it off a deer that doesn't really grow them, but they are the most impressive shit ever.
[+] antlers wow

For the jacket, I might suggest something like this:

Bamboo is often assosciated with resoluteness, honor and simplicity in Chinese culture.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Korban3 wrote: Bamboo is often assosciated with resoluteness, honor and simplicity in Chinese culture.
i wanted to offend you but there are actually deers in china :(

MontyPython

Post by MontyPython » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Very nice looking model and quite accurate as well on the topic of antlers and I am not sure if adding antlers would be best because then it would seem like they would need to collide with things like tree branches when you jump through trees, but with or without antlers it is amazing.

shadowb297

Post by shadowb297 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm

That's really cool
Only thing thats a bit weird imo is the arm, it seems as the deltoid is it's own huge muscle, the muscle under it is actually partially below it, that is if i remember my anatomy right :wink:
heres a pic of what I'm talking about:
Not that it looks bad, as it is a anthromorphic deer, and it could easily go as is and look just as good. I also could always be entirely wrong or be seeing it from the wrong angle, but just sharing some insight

NecroBite

Post by NecroBite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm

MontyPython wrote:Very nice looking model and quite accurate as well on the topic of antlers and I am not sure if adding antlers would be best because then it would seem like they would need to collide with things like tree branches when you jump through trees, but with or without antlers it is amazing.
Oh gawd, jumping and getting your antlers stuck in a tree and flipping over and oh mah gawd. :|
shadowb297 wrote:Only thing thats a bit weird imo is the arm, it seems as the deltoid is it's own huge muscle, the muscle under it is actually partially below it, that is if i remember my anatomy right :wink:
heres a pic of what I'm talking about: -snip-
I did actually model that in (sort of), but I guess you can't really see it without some light shining on it. I suppose I should make the groove a little deeper to be noticeable. Will be trying to correct them or make them more noticeable/realistic/correct.
Korban3 wrote:No 1: Antlers pls
I don't know if you based it off a deer that doesn't really grow them, but they are the most impressive shit ever.
[+] antlers wow
...How did you know that those were the antlers I initially put on his head? How did you come by these amazing telepathic powers? :U
(Well, the second antlers, anyway.) ...I just noticed, his antler stubs are sticking straight up. I should/might fix them.

(I now fear that there may be something wholly incorrect about his arms. Posting screenshot of the top of his arm for people to look at and possibly correct (spoilered to save space):
[+] Deer arm
He might have horribly misshapen arms...<br />I hope not.
He might have horribly misshapen arms...
I hope not.
Front view (obviously).
Front view (obviously).
Deer high-poly arm front.png (120.42 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
EDIT: Altered the arm a bit:
[+] arm v2
Shoulder doesn't feel sharp enough either. :/
Shoulder doesn't feel sharp enough either. :/
Deer high-poly bicep.png (32.52 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
...I should go pull out that anatomy book I have lying around somewhere. And stare at it until I either see spots and can't keep my eyes open or understand what it is I'm looking at. :roll:

NecroBite

Post by NecroBite » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:54 pm

So I was messing around with designs today. Mostly tribals. I know what some of you are thinking (on the other hand, maybe not... :| ); tribals?! Why would you--
Symmetry makes my life easier. So tribals make my life easier.

So for now I'm just putting up some of the designs that popped onto Jericho for you guys to look at. And this material looks pretty good. :wink: If I decide to go with any of them, they'll be in more detail, but for now there's just these sketchy ones. (Thoughts,etc.? Go ahead.)
[+] tribals wat
Deer high-poly front back design #1.png
Deer high-poly front back design #1.png (59.34 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
I was almost debating turning this one into a deer skull...
I was almost debating turning this one into a deer skull...
Deer high-poly back design #2.png (57.71 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Deer high-poly back design #3.png
Deer high-poly back design #3.png (58.61 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
In other news, I angled his antler stubs to the side for realism, deepened the groove for his deltoid, refined the dew-claws (those'd be the mini hoof things on the back of his ankles that you can't really see at the moment) and removed more useless and excess polies. I think I'm making some progress. I hesitate to go into the final sculpt stage yet, because I'm not sure everything's 100% in terms of anatomy, scale and whatnot. But it'll be there soon, I feel. Soon(tm)