[MOD] Water Hotspot

SteelRaven7

[MOD] Water Hotspot

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Eyyy, long time no see.

After watching some idubbbz videos I figured I should put together a water hotspot thing to make sea levels more attractive. It turned out something like this:

The hotspot is available here:
WaterHotspot.zip
(552.35 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
To use, simply add the Objects/waterhotspot.xml object in your scene.

Angelscript modders! This hotspot also contains an angelscript utility class that could be handy. It's called CharacterCollection, and it pretty much gives you a simple way to list a bunch of characters and run functions on all of them. In my experience, managing groups of objects or characters is pretty difficult in Overgrowth, so definetely check this out if it sounds interesting.

SUM OG Team! Everything should be really straightforward to bundle, I think I followed all of your guidelines. It might be a good idea to split the angelscript_utils folder if other modders start using them.

EDIT: I just made the splashes a little less crazy.
Last edited by SteelRaven7 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Water Hotspot

Post by Constance » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Good lord this is yes.
Is it possible to make it so that footsteps in the water hotspot make splashes, for when your character isn't fully submerged?

EDIT: I get an error that crashes the game:
Failde to open the script file:
Data/Scripts/../Custom/steelraven7/angelscript_utils/ObjectVariable.as
No such file or directory

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

tl;dr bad ass as fuck

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 am

Timbles wrote: I get an error that crashes the game:
Failde to open the script file:
Data/Scripts/../Custom/steelraven7/angelscript_utils/ObjectVariable.as
No such file or directory
Uuuugh stupidest bug ever. I was playing around with another angelscript utils script, but it didn't make any sense so I removed it. I forgot to stop including it in the actual water script though. It's fixed, anyhow.

Gyrth

Re: [MOD] Water Hotspot

Post by Gyrth » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 pm

I got some blue gui stuff working. Although it uses a levelscript. Would be nice if it was just the hotspot. Maybe with a SendMessage("underwater"). But you will need to edit level.as. My version is just a proof of concept. "displaygui" should work but it looks inside the ui folder. SO you can't get to /Data/Textures/UI/etc. And you can't stretch the image. "displayhud" is just an image, can't do much.
Just open pool.xml as the level.
Steelraven_water_hotspot.zip
(556.43 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Code: Select all

mo.Execute("GoLimp(); +DropWeapon(); Ragdoll("+ragdollType+"); roll_recovery_time = 100.0f; recovery_time = 100.0f; TakeDamage(100.0f);");
You forgot the GoLimp(); That fixed the feet moving around.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm

For Gyrth's version, the screen goes blue even when an enemy goes into the water.

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Timbles wrote:For Gyrth's version, the screen goes blue even when an enemy goes into the water.
Yes, I just wanted to see if I could get a blue screen going. Haven't worked it out, since it's Steelravens mod. Just a quick test.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 am

Gyrth wrote: You forgot the GoLimp(); That fixed the feet moving around.
'
Hmm, are you sure about that? GoLimp() is just short for Ragdoll(_RGDL_FALL), and I already do another Ragdoll call.

Anyway, I'll have a look at this blue overlay thing as well.

Crystalwarrior

Post by Crystalwarrior » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:34 am

Holy crap this is very cool!
Although is it possible to make it so the ragdoll is low grav when inside the hotspot? So you float upwards in a ragdoll mode?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 am

nice shizzle

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Crystalwarrior wrote:Holy crap this is very cool!
Although is it possible to make it so the ragdoll is low grav when inside the hotspot? So you float upwards in a ragdoll mode?
Yeah, that's exactly what it does. You can increase the floating force parameter to make the ragdoll float upwards.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, the mod looks awesome, but when I run it the drag and float metres don't work, turner just slams to the ground like a rock and I'm not sure how to fix that. However I did find that the way you fall into the water hotspot will affect the ragdoll, such as when I reached the second stage of falling animation when turner begins to flail his arms that as he hit the hotspot he began to paddle at the water, which i found pretty cool, however i believe it is only procedural.
finally i would like to ask where i can find that animated water

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

halzoid wrote:I'm sorry for the inconvenience, the mod looks awesome, but when I run it the drag and float metres don't work, turner just slams to the ground like a rock and I'm not sure how to fix that. However I did find that the way you fall into the water hotspot will affect the ragdoll, such as when I reached the second stage of falling animation when turner begins to flail his arms that as he hit the hotspot he began to paddle at the water, which i found pretty cool, however i believe it is only procedural.
finally i would like to ask where i can find that animated water
Markuss' river fight assets, on SUMLauncher is where you find the animated water.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:57 pm

I do have that but its just blue and not animated