[Map] Raider Quest

Phizzlygames

[Map] Raider Quest

Post by Phizzlygames » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 am

This is my first map so don't expect much.
This is a small map where you have to help a village destroy some raiders.
It should offer some challenge but experienced players won't have a problem getting through this map.
It should be playable on some weaker computers since there aren't many objects in the map.
I used the default red desert map.

[Edit] I have gone back and improved some things in the map!
I have increased the difficulty but sadly I could not do too much since I am on weaker laptop which makes editing unbarable.

Attachments
PhizzV2.xml
(70.74 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by Phizzlygames on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JLipinski

Re: [Map] Raider Quest

Post by JLipinski » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

This map has a lot of issues with it from a gameplay standpoint.

Pros:
I liked the use of dialogue to convey information to the player. This set a clear objective and introduced the player to the scenario. See if you can do this with actual dialogue editor or at least hide the message box icons underneath the terrain.

Cons:
The map is severely imbalanced for the current game state. I was able to clear it first try with flawless and never hurt by using the spear. The positioning of the enemies allowed for this to happen; they were all able to be singled out and engaged one on one. Try to avoid allowing this to happen. Force the player to earn the use of a strong weapon through either stealth, combat, or exploration. Handing the player a spear and making them face comparatively weaker enemies does not make for challenging gameplay.

Another problem comes from the layout of the map. The raiders have set up a hut that took a long time to build within viewing distance from the village, the villagers are mostly unarmed, and not many. If this were really the situation they would all likely be dead. One villager claims to not know anything about the raiders, when you can see them from the village, which doesn't make sense.

When you make a map, try to keep gameplay as a top priority, and then work out a believable story from there. Good luck, keep at it.

Phizzlygames

Re: [Map] Raider Quest

Post by Phizzlygames » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm

JLipinski wrote:This map has a lot of issues with it from a gameplay standpoint.

Pros:
I liked the use of dialogue to convey information to the player. This set a clear objective and introduced the player to the scenario. See if you can do this with actual dialogue editor or at least hide the message box icons underneath the terrain.

Cons:
The map is severely imbalanced for the current game state. I was able to clear it first try with flawless and never hurt by using the spear. The positioning of the enemies allowed for this to happen; they were all able to be singled out and engaged one on one. Try to avoid allowing this to happen. Force the player to earn the use of a strong weapon through either stealth, combat, or exploration. Handing the player a spear and making them face comparatively weaker enemies does not make for challenging gameplay.

Another problem comes from the layout of the map. The raiders have set up a hut that took a long time to build within viewing distance from the village, the villagers are mostly unarmed, and not many. If this were really the situation they would all likely be dead. One villager claims to not know anything about the raiders, when you can see them from the village, which doesn't make sense.

When you make a map, try to keep gameplay as a top priority, and then work out a believable story from there. Good luck, keep at it.
Thanks, its nice to have some good feedback.
I didn't spend much time on the map but hopefully while making my next one i'll have more time to spend on it and make the gameplay better.
I have gone back and fixed some of the problems you mentioned so hopefully it makes up for some of the mistakes i made last time.