Sheathing larger weapons

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Sheathing larger weapons

Post by halzoid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 am

I feel that this should go in the modding section as it doesn't seem like it will be implemented into the full game any time soon. it seems like the longsword and spear would be sheath-able (if that's a word) i have a few pictures but thats only an armour attachment, if this was implimented it would require one animation for the spear, and depending on the style of sword sheath one for the sword, and two extra bits of coding (from what i can assume). heres a few ideas of what it would be
OvergrowthScreenshot00006.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00008.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00009.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00007.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00011.jpg

Crystalwarrior

Re: Sheathing larger weapons

Post by Crystalwarrior » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:31 am

I think one of the reasons these weapons can't be sheathed is because they are extremely powerful compared to daggers and one-handed swords, as well as pretty heavy.

EPR89

Re: Sheathing larger weapons

Post by EPR89 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Crystalwarrior wrote:I think one of the reasons these weapons can't be sheathed is because they are extremely powerful compared to daggers and one-handed swords, as well as pretty heavy.
They may pack quite a punch, but as far as the big swords go, I'd say that they are actually the easiest weapons to fight against. They are pretty slow, their range is not that huge and once you manage to doge an attack you usually end up with an opening for a quick attack. If you know how to dodge against an opponent with normal stats there is no way for someone with a big sword to hit you.
One handed swords are much faster than most of your attacks. Daggers can be flailed and their attacks cannot be interrupted unless you get lucky with a passive block. When you are unarmed it is basically impossible to get out without a few cuts. And spears are just a nightmare. Huge range, extremely fast. If you go unarmed against a spear you are essentially already dead.

EDIT: One really important point: I think that from a gaming perspective the weapons are not well balanced. But from a realistic perspective most of that makes a lot of sense. There's a reason why knives are so feared, thrusting weapons have been so popular for a long time and the spear is probably the weapon responsible for killing the most people on battlefields in human history. The thing that heavy swords where used for is not in the game: heavy armour. There were probably two ways these heavy large weapons were used:
  • to fight polearms and other long weapons. This was probably done in formations rather than in individual combat. You would use the weapon to breach enemy formations and do damage with the long blade. Essentially, this way they are used as another variant of a pole weapon, only with a long blade instead of a pole.
  • to fight heavily armoured opponents while wearing heavy armour yourself. You would engage and then halfsword the weapon to try and hit weak spots in the armour. Eye slits, under the arms, anywhere where there was a gap.
I would also like to let you know that I am not an expert.

The way the two handed swords look in Overgrowth makes them seem very heavy. And because of this they don't seem to be very useful for individual combat. They may pack some serious oomph, but they are just too slow and awkward. Longswords would be a really nice addition to the armoury in Overgrowth. Swords that are relatively light, are mostly wielded with two hands, but feature some one handed moves and are quick enough to get an edge over unarmed opponents. European longswords and Katanas could be weapons of that category.

Wow, I got a bit carried away there, didn't I?
Well, what I want to say is that the two handed sword we have right now doesn't really need to be nerfed. It is effectively the weakest weapon in the game, as long as your opponent can dodge (which the AI currently cannot...). The rapier is just as good for cutting down unarmed opponents, if not even better due to the speed of its thrusting attack. Two handed swords and pole weapons where traditionally carried around by attaching them to your back, but this was a method of transportation and not suited to combat or nimble movement. In that respect, not letting the player carry them around would make some sense.