[weapon] Deaths Sword

samjb1992

[weapon] Deaths Sword

Post by samjb1992 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi all its been a long time since I posted to this forum but I though I would share my latest model.
this is a sword that was modeled and textured in 3D-Coat and scaled in blender

pics:
DeathsSwordV1_1.jpg
DeathsSwordV1_1.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
DSword.jpg
DSword2.jpg
update:
10/21/15 new sharp map was made and link was updated

download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgg5ioc1crmly ... d.zip?dl=0
Last edited by samjb1992 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Re: [weapon] Deaths Sword

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi again!

The fact that you can't do sharp edges or corners makes it really hard for you to do swords. I think you should work on that next.

I think you're being held back by only working on the sculpting. If you just want to do hobbyist stuff, it should be okay, but it limits what you can make a bit more. You need to be able to create polygon models if you want to work on games. It might eventually be automated, but that's still years from now.

The texture is pretty good. The only problem there is that the highlights following the sharp edges are too thick - well, your sharp edges are also rounded so it actually fits, but it doesn't help make these look dangerous. They're looking like those foam swords, at the moment, very rounded and child-safe. If that wasn't what you meant, you need to work on sharp edges. Either in 3D Coat in sculpting and normal map baking... or through polygon modeling and "smoothing groups" / "sharp edges".

First image - shows how "sharp edges" feature in Blender can be used to define, well, sharp edges. The similar feature is called "smoothing groups" in 3ds Max.

The second and third images show how your sword has way more polygons than are required to define the shape of that model. Also, since sharp edges and smoothing groups work along the model's edge lines, having all those edges, but not having them follow the exact blade line might make things slightly complicated.
[+] Polygon model
retopo_comparison.jpg
P.S. I like that your sharpness map was pure white, and named "verysharp.png". :mrgreen: :lol:

samjb1992

Re: [weapon] Deaths Sword

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:26 pm

thanks endo for the tips.

Im working on my sharp edges at the moment, I'm still getting used to 3D-coats tools and the sharp edge marker tool is difficult for me at the moment. I just used a spline creation method and a sharp tool that fills it in and fills it out. Im still making the sword better but I thought it would be okay to release it for advice and feed back.

I just finished a new sharp map a few minutes ago and will change the link to the updated soon.
I'm also trying to use spec maps but am still having trouble understanding how to make them work in overgrowth.