[HELP] Candles, a Street Cone, & Super Shiny Model Disease

xweert123

[HELP] Candles, a Street Cone, & Super Shiny Model Disease

Post by xweert123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:08 am

So i've taken my first steps into modelling for Overgrowth, and i've made some very good strides. This is also my first complete model, from start to finish, used no reference images, UV Mapped, etc., so i'm pretty proud of it. Anyway, for shits and giggles I made a Cone, because it's a simple object with complex geometry, and tried putting it into the game. I got everything working; the normal map, the model, the shader, everything, but for the life of me, I cannot get the color map to work.

Could anyone possibly help me out? I'll have a link to the model below. For some reason I can't upload it as an attachment because it's larger than 2 MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w9982 ... b/Cone.zip
Last edited by xweert123 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: [MODEL] Help, the Colour Map isn't working.

Post by halzoid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56 am

xweert123 wrote:

Looks like your normal map is making the model really shiny... Though I can't be certain... Try changing the over bright to 1, it will remove shinyness and should allow you to see the colour beneath...

I'll take a Look into this when I get back to my pc

[Edit] guess I don't need to now :lol:

Either way, that's actually quite an impressively accurate model to say that you're new to modeling
Are you using it for anything or was it simply just a test model? (Curious to see if there's a map idea behind this)
Last edited by halzoid on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

xweert123

Post by xweert123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:19 am

halzoid wrote:
xweert123 wrote:

Looks like your normal map is making the model really shiny... Though I can't be certain... Try changing the over bright to 1 will remove shinyness and allow you to see the colour beneath...

I'll take a Look into this when I get back to my pc
ah I figured it out. You're exactly right, the normal map is just extremely shiny. If I set it to Overbright 1 it looks like some sort of mega flare lol. The texture is also very primitive so.

xweert123

Post by xweert123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:28 am

It's working, now I just simply gotta finalize the texture.

xweert123

Re: [MODEL] [EDIT] Cone with WORKING Color Map (Sorta)

Post by xweert123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:47 am

lol, conehead. Now the problem is that it will get all glossy and metallic if it's at Overbright 0, or in various colours. Whatever though, it's in-Engine now, and it works pretty well :p

xweert123

Re: [MODEL] Help! Super Shiny Model Disease

Post by xweert123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:35 am

Help, all of my models are just a little too shiny.

So the diffuse texture is just too bright, I guess? That fixed it "kinda". When HDR settings are messed with, it becomes extremely glaring and bright. I really wonder what's causing this.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

an issue for all?

Post by halzoid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 am

Ok, I just made a pumpkin model for a potential Halloween map and got exactly the same issue...

Now I'm really confused as to what this is, it's never happened to me before (other than one character model)... I don't think it is the normal map seeing as I tried replacing it with a default normal and it was still shiny...

This is odd....

[Edit]
And this bat...

What's going on, I literally made a weapon mod under 3 days ago using exactly the same approach and somehow this one has f***ed up?

xweert123

Re: an issue for all?

Post by xweert123 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:41 pm

halzoid wrote:Ok, I just made a pumpkin model for a potential Halloween map and got exactly the same issue...

Now I'm really confused as to what this is, it's never happened to me before (other than one character model)... I don't think it is the normal map seeing as I tried replacing it with a default normal and it was still shiny...

This is odd....

[Edit]
And this bat...

What's going on, I literally made a weapon mod under 3 days ago using exactly the same approach and somehow this one has f***ed up?
I figured out the issue. It has something to do with the alpha channel on the diffuse texture. Setting the alpha channel to a black and white version of the normal diffuse texture solves the problem for me, but I still have to adjust the alpha channel so the shine isn't so severe.

My Candle with the alpha channels being set to a black and white diffuse texture, with increased contrast and decreased brightness:

Silverfish

Re: [HELP] Candles, a Street Cone, & Super Shiny Model Disea

Post by Silverfish » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 am

xweert123 I just tested out the shaders and they seem to be working as intended. You can read about them in the documentation here: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/3D_Objects#Shaders

The alpha channel in the color texture controls how shiny the object is, the brighter that channel is the more shiny it gets in the game. It works the same for items/weapons, but the algorithm to calculate the shinyness is different, so it might look a bit different with the same textures if you change from the cubemap shader to the cubemapitem shader.

Also, it looks like your objects have almost mo variation in the lighting. they look flat. It looks to me like this is caused by using the cubemapobj or cubemapobjitem shaders with a tangent space normal map. If you're using a tangent space normal map, which I'm guessing you are, you should use the cubemap or cubemapitem shader depending on if you're making an object or an item/weapon.

Nice models by the way! Let me know if you need any more help with figuring this out!