using the color map in blender

Killerkitty

using the color map in blender

Post by Killerkitty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:57 pm

From what i was told: overgrowth uses 3 textures.
a normal texture
a color map
and *something else, i forgot*

those are used when changing colors on characters correct? if so, what i'm trying to do is get that to work in blender... like im trying to get the textures to change colors in blender like in the game. Someone tried to tell me how to do it, but i didn't understand, and i couldn't see half of the picture.
Does anyone mind helping me with this?

-thank you!

Silverfish

Re: using the color map in blender

Post by Silverfish » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:42 pm

I think this might help you: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questi ... iew-editor

I don't think Blender's real time 3D view is advanced enough to show things like the roughness map, and it might be time consuming to set it up properly. However with this you'll be able to see what a texture looks like on the character at least, but without the proper shading.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Killerkitty wrote:Someone tried to tell me how to do it, but i didn't understand, and i couldn't see half of the picture.
-thank you!
that was me :D
Silverfish wrote:I don't think Blender's real time 3D view is advanced enough to show things like the roughness map
from blender 2.78+ upwards, most of the nodes for materials are supported in realtime

asd.JPG
ive put the node setup in the rabbit_rig blend file with a node group that does all the thinking. hope this helps you. should be easy to copy into other files.
download:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ascsde05SosClJh4_FzXlKMzemI99w

i still dont know in which space the normal map works though & which channels are inverted

Edit: old topic for refernce: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39480#p244076
Last edited by Thomason1005 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:
Killerkitty wrote:Someone tried to tell me how to do it, but i didn't understand, and i couldn't see half of the picture.
-thank you!
that was me :D
Silverfish wrote:I don't think Blender's real time 3D view is advanced enough to show things like the roughness map
from blender 2.78+ upwards, most of the nodes for materials are supported in realtime

asd.JPG
ive put the node setup in the rabbit_rig blend file with a node group that does all the thinking. hope this helps you. should be easy to copy into other files.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ascsde05SosClJh4_FzXlKMzemI99w

i still dont know in which space the normal map works though & which channels are inverted

Edit: old topic for refernce: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39480#p244076
I am so sorry. I forgot your username, and I lost the post in the never ending sea of threads!
K, I'm going to take a look at it.
Thank you!

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:45 pm

i have noticed a node that has something to do with mixing the textures. is that in blender, or do you need an addon for that?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:33 pm

it is a node group (multiple nodes combined into one with ctrl+G)
you can select it and press tab to see how it is made / works

if you had multiple materials for different characters (&textures) you could simply copy this group node without having to copy all the internal nodes

also as soon as you make a node group it shows up in the add -> group menu

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:10 am

Ah, thanks! that helped a lot, the only thing i need to figure out now is how to actually see the result. I don't understand why, but it doesn't show up in textures, or materials. Its just grey.
did I do something incorrectly?
Attachments
Untitled.png

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:21 pm

well hard to see on this screenshot.

make sure
-your blender version is 2.75+ (you can see it on the splash screen) for nodes to work in realtime
-your textures work (if you connect them directly to color, do they show on the character?)
-the material you are editing is assigned to the character's mesh (on your screen the character isnt selected, yet the material is displayed / edited..) you can do this in the right panel under materials

if you can see a texture which is directly connected to the diffuse color, the problem is the mix node. otherwise the problem is somewhere else.

if you upload the file i can take a look at it

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:28 pm

aaand i finally hacked into my own account. i deeply apologize. i accidentally locked myself out, and its been over 3 months! :lol:
Thomason1005 wrote:if you upload the file i can take a look at it
mind telling me how i could get the file to you? it seems like it's too big to upload on here.