Where do you put mods downloaded on the forums?

Cheesefart91

Where do you put mods downloaded on the forums?

Post by Cheesefart91 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:52 pm

When you download mods on the forums, they come in a file with a folder called data. I've tried putting the data file straight in the mods folder, and in a separate folder with the name of the mod, but when I enter the game, the mod doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

merlyn

Re: Where do you put mods downloaded on the forums?

Post by merlyn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Cheesefart91 wrote:When you download mods on the forums, they come in a file with a folder called data. I've tried putting the data file straight in the mods folder, and in a separate folder with the name of the mod, but when I enter the game, the mod doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong?
You need more than one file for stuff to show up in the "mods" menu:

/Mods/modname/Data/<... stuff goes here ...>
/Mods/modname/mod.xml

Your copy of mod.xml must be customized for your mod, and match the version of the game you're playing, like "b2" for beta 2. Edit it in notepad.

See Mods/example_mod/mod.xml to see how it works.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:01 pm

if the mod is not built for the mods folder, due to it being a new addition then the data folder you get represents the games data folder. so what you need to do is copy the files from its data folder to the same folders in the games data file. so like if you get a folder name data and in side it has custom folder and modName folder, then you until you find a folder that doesn't match. so you would go into the games data folder then into the custom folder and then place the modName folder in there.

So long story short if its an old mod then just place all folders in the mods data folder into the same folders in the games data folder

xekriart

Post by xekriart » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:52 pm

How do you exactly change the version? where in notepad? i'm confused.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 pm

xekriart wrote:How do you exactly change the version? where in notepad? i'm confused.
Unless you plan to become a modding expert hacker person, I recommend waiting until the people who made their mods update them, instead of trying to update them yourself.

Also, if you're just trying to *install* a mod you find on the forum, not update it for a version it wasn't built for, then look here: https://forums.wolfire.com/viewtopic.php?t=40251