Blood Smears on Custom Weapons?

pixel_knight

Blood Smears on Custom Weapons?

Post by pixel_knight » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 am

Hello, I recently tested out some custom weapons in overgrowth but the blood smears on them look kinda off. I'm not sure if this has to do with the sheer geometry of the weapons, or if it is something else. If anyone could help me out with this, that would be awesome :) .

I looked through the forums but I didn't find anything on this - please let me know where I would be able to find more information if I missed it.
btw, I am new to modding in overgrowth so I will probably be visiting the (Modding)forums frequently.
Attachments
hook_knife_bloodsmear.png
hook_knife_bloodsmear.png (201.35 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
machete_bloodsmear.png

Rollo

Re: Blood Smears on Custom Weapons?

Post by Rollo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Weapon in-game

Weapon from Workshop

That really is weird, you're not alone. I think it might be the geometry but I'm not sure. I'd actually like help with this too.
(Sorry if I messed up with the formatting of the images in the post. I'm new to the forums.)

pixel_knight

Post by pixel_knight » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Yeah, from what I've read, it seems to have something to do with the HULL or the geometry or something. It's good to know that I'm not alone though.

btw, the images look fine man :).

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 am

Can you link to the mod with the weapons that have buggy blood textures and write what the names of the weapons are?

I can take a look and see if I can solve it.

pixel_knight

Post by pixel_knight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Silverfish wrote:Can you link to the mod with the weapons that have buggy blood textures and write what the names of the weapons are?

I can take a look and see if I can solve it.
Hmm, well the ones that I showed aren't part of an established mod so I'm not sure how I would link it... would attaching the files for the HULL and the object model work instead?

I'll just try that, let me know if you wanted/needed other information.
Attachments
machete_1HULL.obj
machete HULL
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
machete_1.obj
machete object mesh
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
hook_knife_readyHULL.obj
hook knife HULL
(498 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
hook_knife_ready.obj
hook knife object mesh
(18.6 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

pixel_knight

Post by pixel_knight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Oh, and if you wanted to look at the weapon pack that rollo was showing, I think the weapon in his picture is part of "Halzoid's Weapon Pack."

The knife in his picture looks like the same knife in the mod(its name is Wolfslayer knife I'm guessing) so I suspect it's part of the same mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:19 am

pixel_knight wrote:Oh, and if you wanted to look at the weapon pack that rollo was showing, I think the weapon in his picture is part of "Halzoid's Weapon Pack."

The knife in his picture looks like the same knife in the mod(its name is Wolfslayer knife I'm guessing) so I suspect it's part of the same mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=
You're right, it's Halzoid's. Should've pointed it out, ha.
I think the blood glitch might happen on completely straight faces. Recently I was playing Arena in a Workshop map and the blood glitch happened on the side of a platform too, which was completely flat on the side then rounded out on the top. The top and the rounded corners were fine.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 am

Note from Silverfish:
Oh shit I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it Halzoid, and now it's all gone! Can't seem to find a history on the post anywhere to revert it...

I'm really sorry! :(

Essentially what you wrote was the following:
I made the weapon at the top and the UVs only cover like one pixel, so that's probably the cause of the blood stretching.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 am

@Halzoid:
Ah yeah, that solves it then. In the second image you can see that the UVs clearly look stretched, and since the blood is stretched in the same way we can conclude that the weapon UVs are used for the blood textures on the weapons.

So to fix it, make the texel density on the weapon more homogeneous.