Receiver Inspired Ideas

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Djemps

Receiver Inspired Ideas

Post by Djemps » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm

I've been staying up late at night, wearing headphones, and freaking out to Receiver all week. I know there is already a huge thread dedicated to this newly released FPS gem, but I thought it would be a good idea to create a second thread to focus primarily on game ideas and inspiration.

Personally, all of my recent evenings playing Receiver have given rise two specific game ideas that I wanted to share...

General High-Rise Layout / Map

Each individual game's layout is randomly generated. While I would not find it very fun to have a full blown map available, I thought a generalized / nondescript layout of the High-Rise would at least provide some reference for players who are lost or need to backtrack to find tapes...

In the examples you can see that colored 3D blocks are used to represent a certain amount of level space. The currently occupied level space is white. Black blocks are essentially non-existent, but have been included to give the sense of a stacked High-Rise. Each block might hold four or five modular map tiles, including tiles with a 1st and 2nd story. So while there is an obvious level layout, you would still not know what kinds of rooms were in each block.

I haven't played Receiver enough to get a real grasp on the modular level tiles. Are they all housed within the same tile ratio? Or are there different types of modular rooms: longer ones, taller ones etc...?

Also, if it happens that the game is less 'linear' than what I'm imagining, then there could be the option of presenting slightly more complex Layout Maps...

Tele-Kinetic Node...

This is the current name I have come up with to describe a static turret-like hazard that provides a tactical reason for the Safety key.

Essentially the Tele-Kinetic Node is an indestructible object that can appear in the center of a room-tile. It possesses the ability to gently manipulate physical objects within its range of influence. In this case: your gun. Upon entering the room-range of a TKN, it will cause your weapon to slightly drift off track. But more importantly, if the Safety is OFF, the TKN possesses enough Telekinetic influence to squeeze the Colt's trigger and fire off rounds until the current Magazine is emptied or you flick on the Safety. This means that you are essentially without a gun while within range of a TKD, so it is best to simply move through its room-space as quickly as possible... with the Safety ON.

Here is a silly example of how it might appear in game. :?

Aleph

Re: Receiver Inspired Ideas

Post by Aleph » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Both are nice ideas. I think each "segment" of the map consists on three "levels", which have a doorway of some sort on each side (north and south). If each of the segment's height were to be varied then there should be a way to make sure it's doorways are aligned to ones of the next segment.

Wapos

Modest dissent

Post by Wapos » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to state (without offending anyone) that as a fan of the original Lugaru I am not a fan of Receiver and I would prefer to hear that the Wolfire team was working on Overgrowth than further expanding Receiver.

This is not a flame. This is not an attempt to insult anyone.

I think that if Wolfire started working on some other very different genre again, the majority of Lugaru fans would be nonplussed.

This doesn't mean that receiver has no redeeming qualities; it simply isn't what I'm looking for (I did download it, and I was not impressed, and rather nonplussed).

It's entirely possible that the Wolfire team could make a great Sim City knock-off, or contributions to any other genre imaginable --but, simply, they would have to be prepared for much of their core audience to shrug in indifference to such an offering.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 pm

these are great ideas and nice graphics!

Currently the tiles are all standardized to the same size-- each tile has 3 entrances and 3 exits, so you can get a sense for the exact dimensions in some of the more "outdoor" rooms with large staircases.

The great thing about Receiver is that everything in it was conceived of from the start to be FAST to make, so there is no reason for anyone to get worried about Receiver taking too much time away from Overgrowth, even if we do decide to add "major" content. For context, it takes me about a week to make a character in Overgrowth if am am working on it really hard

I was thinking about some ideas for the safety also, but the TKN idea is really awesome!

Freeman720

Re: Modest dissent

Post by Freeman720 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 am

Wapos wrote:-snip-
Yes, because I'm sure this game is taking out SO much time out of Overgrowth's development. (Hint: I'm being sarcastic)

funymunky

Re: Modest dissent

Post by funymunky » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:30 am

Wapos wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to state (without offending anyone) that as a fan of the original Lugaru I am not a fan of Receiver and I would prefer to hear that the Wolfire team was working on Overgrowth than further expanding Receiver.

This is not a flame. This is not an attempt to insult anyone.

I think that if Wolfire started working on some other very different genre again, the majority of Lugaru fans would be nonplussed.

This doesn't mean that receiver has no redeeming qualities; it simply isn't what I'm looking for (I did download it, and I was not impressed, and rather nonplussed).

It's entirely possible that the Wolfire team could make a great Sim City knock-off, or contributions to any other genre imaginable --but, simply, they would have to be prepared for much of their core audience to shrug in indifference to such an offering.
I have to disagree with you there. I really enjoy Receiver, and I hope that Wolfire continues to fix its bugs, and maybe add new content. I'm sure that it's nice for them to be able to work on something else for a change, too.

By the way, I've never heard anyone use a word like "nonplussed" twice in the same statement.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:37 am

Hi Aubrey. Thanks for the kind words. I honestly just slapped all of those pics together in Illustrator as fast as possible. :)

I found it kind of funny that less than a day after I tried to make a map graphic you released the Art Asset Overview; essentially revealing the 'mysteries' of Receiver's level system.

Do any of the three storied level cubes stack on each other? If not, then a possible level layout image might look something like this:

Of course now there needs to be a way to see the level blocks tucked away in the back. Being able to rotate the image might be nice, but it also seems too complex and unnecessary for a simple level-layout display. Maybe you could just pull the map apart like this:

Anyhow, I love being inspired by new and refreshing game concepts. I'm honored to hear that one of my silly ideas inspired you!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:19 am

I use the safety already, but I love the TKN idea.
I use the safety because I'm playing on a touchpad PC. So, if I tap my mousepad to lightly when attempting to adjust my aim, I can misfire.
I found out because I was looking off a balcony below to spot enemies and didn't have the safety on and BLAM! one of my few rounds. Scared the shit out of me, and now I use my safety all the time.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Now that there is a new Receiver forum, I just wanted to revisit the idea of a Telekinetic Node hazard. The only new complication would be the revolver, since it doesn't have a safety, but opening up the wheel would essentially do the same thing. :D

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm

The first time safety would actually be useful for a goddamn change.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey Timbles! I'm glad you like the idea. Considering the fact that Receiver has finally been Greenlit, I wonder if there will be any new updates. I hope SOME kind of strategic reason for managing the safety will be introduced, otherwise it will remain the one feature that is truly a gun simulator and nothing more.

Teod

Post by Teod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 am

I actually don't like those ideas.

Maybe some sort of maps can be placed inside levels themselves, but your version of map implementation is not a good idea for this game - it will completely brake no-hud aesthetic.

And TKN... Are you even serious?
Other guns? Clear parts and weak points? Aesthetics? Lore?
Enemies should be dangerous. This one will be just annoying and out of place. And for what? To make use of one button of one gun? There are many buttons, that are nearly never used and nobody seem to care. Why do people hate safety so much?

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 am

i wouldn't be so harsh but I don't like this TKN either.
If you want players to be conscious about the safety, way better solutions could be added.

For example, while having a loaded gun in hand, small falls (like jumping down a few steps on the stairs) could have a low probability to cause you to accidentally fire your gun.
(This should of course be dependant on gun type, and even then I'm not sure if it's plausible, I'm just throwing ideas around.)

but then again, it shouldn't really matter if a feature is not really used. It's there, for the sake of completeness, just like rolling the cylinder of the revolver.

oux0f

Post by oux0f » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:10 am

Djemps wrote:Now that there is a new Receiver forum, I just wanted to revisit the idea of a Telekinetic Node hazard. The only new complication would be the revolver, since it doesn't have a safety, but opening up the wheel would essentially do the same thing. :D
Or uncocking the revolver, whichever.

I do agree that there is other ways to implement the safety function on the guns but at the same time like the idea of the TKN. Perhaps it would also affect your flashlight, cutting it out. In my point of view this seems very fitting into the setting, being in the future and such. Suggestions/feedback list:
- Have the gun turn around slowly, without wasting bullets, and if you don't do anything about it by then, you get shot in the face?
- Turn off the flashlight?
- Maybe affect your gun in other ways such as opening slide, removing the bullet case, or wasting ammo?
I suggest making a diagram of it, with the parts labeled out.
Regarding the Map, for me it's a close decision. It looks great, and Also looks effective. This thread has most likely been dead for a while so I'm not expecting to get any responses.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:51 am

oux0f wrote:- Have the gun turn around slowly, without wasting bullets, and if you don't do anything about it by then, you get shot in the face?
Ha! That's hilarious! Maybe it wouldn't fit, but I kinda wanna see that happen. XD
oux0f wrote: - Turn off the flashlight?
Sounds interesting, but unless you're in the dark parts of the building, the flashlight doesn't really do too much. I turn mine off.
oux0f wrote: - Maybe affect your gun in other ways such as opening slide
That sounds interesting. Then you'd have to go grab your lost round and then in the next room reload (if there's no immediate threat).