Receiver - pistol spinning like gyroscope!!!!

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
castiglione

Receiver - pistol spinning like gyroscope!!!!

Post by castiglione » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Sometimes, in Receiver, the pistol starts spinning crazily like a gyroscope. I figure it's a bug having something to do with the way the code models recoil and gun wobble during motion? When the spinning starts, it doesn't get damped but gets worse until there's nothing left to do but restart the game.

Is this really a bug or am I missing something, i.e. can this be fixed by doing something in the game?

MrOtton

Re: Receiver - pistol spinning like gyroscope!!!!

Post by MrOtton » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Hmmm...Does it start spinning randomly?

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm not sure if it's random but it seems to be tied into how the code models recoil or gun wobble when you walk around. The gun begins to wobble and instead of the oscillations being damped over time as you sit still, they get worse until the gun begins to literally spin all over the place. Holstering the gun and unholstering doesn't fix it.

I played around with it and I managed to shoot myself to death when the gun was spinning; just had to time my shots just right and managed to make a corpse of myself.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:52 am

Played with this a little bit more - I was playing exclusively on Fastest mode before and the spinning gun thing was happening a lot. I switched to Fast mode and this seems to have helped; the gun only began to spin wildly once and since then, I haven't been able to get it to happen again.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm

This problem is definitely related to how recoil and gun wobble are modeled. Normally, the oscillations of the gun get damped over time when you stand there and wait after having fired or walked with the gun. However, it seems like when the amplitude of oscillation gets to a certain point, the amplitude does not get damped and either stabilizes or builds over time.

On a positive note, when you shoot yourself as the gun spins around, it makes a satisfyingly wet thudding noise when the bullet strikes home.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm

you can shoot yourself while running/jumping too.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:31 am

The spinning gun problem I encountered seems to be system related. I encountered the problem on a fairly low end system but when I ran the game on something a bit more beefed up, the problem didn't occur.

Strange.

murky

Post by murky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Count Roland wrote:you can shoot yourself while running/jumping too.

Yes!!!!! you can jump or run.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: