Receiver is a great game idea.

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Sushin

Receiver is a great game idea.

Post by Sushin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 am

I've been playing it a lot lately, and I love the idea of having to micromanage your gun for combat. It's a lot of fun getting more skilled at operating the fire arm. I really wish a full game would be made with the gun mechanics of Receiver. I'd love to do the same stuff with a revolver or more complicated weapon system like the Bizon or P90...gosh that would take a while to load.

Even playing with the guns in a shooting course would be cool. Like trying to improve your speed with reloading, or making an unloaded gun operational. There's so much potential for this idea.
Even if Wolfire is done with Receiver, I hope they bring back the idea of the gun mechanics into a new game.

Djemps

Re: Receiver is a great game idea.

Post by Djemps » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I love your ideas! I started a 'Receiver Inspired Ideas' thread on the SPF last week. Maybe we could merge this thread with that?

Sushin

Re: Receiver is a great game idea.

Post by Sushin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Well, I'm sure they aren't short on ideas for another game like Receiver. I would just love to know that a game like it would be considered for the future. It's already unlike almost every FPS coming out recently (I mean, finally. With automatically loaded magazines and the gun always held in front of you in EVERY SINGLE FPS. At least SOMEONE is thinking outside the box), and yet, it's familiar enough to be easy to learn. With a game like this, each gun put into the game can really feel truly unique on a level no other FPS or shooter can achieve. Not only that, but it kind of teaches you about real world fire arms! Consideration should be taken as to the importance of teaching people about guns and safety, I think, considering how realistic the gun mechanics are.

The only problem I forsee is the difficulty deciding how to pace the game. In most FPS games, I can imagine the system that Receiver uses to not be very fun in the long run. That just means more thinking outside the box. By the time a game using Receivers gun mechanics is finished, I imagine it will be one of the most unique first person shooters ever.