Receiver opinion

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
JSqrt

Receiver opinion

Post by JSqrt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:00 am

Hi,
I am a "Receiver customer" would like to point out a few recommendations and annoyances without being harsh :)

-Why is there no subforum for receiver? I won't search a forum where everyone is talking about "the game".

-I am missing an official channel about receiver. This could also prevent everyone from answering every question again and again.

-I want to know the future of receiver or at least if you think about a future. <Some guy> saying "probably" in this forum does not mean anything.

-receiver is often very slow (jerky) (windowed 1280, fastest).

-receiver needs a loading indicator and needs to be paused after a longer than ~250ms load.

-mouse locking in window mode does not work 100% under win7 64; clicking desktop and Alt-tab back fixes this.

-do shootable lights affect the gameplay? if not, why are they shootable? Realism is good, but if it never happens?

-receiver needs some kind of training modes: 1(optional). weapon usage, 2. safe enemy shooting practice with indicator what has been hit 3. an only airzapper or turret mode (very simple to implement, but one can concentrate on one kind!).

-it should be possible to disable damaged enemies in about 2s.

I love receiver because of its short turns and the unforgiving realism. It would be a shame if this game would stay in this "late beta" state.
(English is not my native language so feel free to point out my mistakes.)

JSqrt

FlyingShisno

Re: Receiver opinion

Post by FlyingShisno » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 am

Receiver was made for the 7-day FPS challenge, and I'm assuming it was done for fun. Due to the limited time, there are many bugs, as you've already noticed. Anton(a dev) said they will be doing updates, but their primary focus is Overgrowth.

I believe their current goal for the next release is bug fixes, performance increase, and loading. If you noticed, when moving from one set to another it'll 'freeze' momentarily while it loads the next set. They're going to add something along the lines of 'background loading', and won't get that freeze between sets. I can't remember if they said anything about a loading screen. I think they did, but I'm not sure.

Other than getting darker, shooting lights has no effect on gameplay. Most games have several 'features' that have no real point other than realism. Like bullet holes in the wall when you shoot it.

I agree that they do need a better in-game tutorial. You can press the '?' key and the keys needed to get you gun into shooting mode are highlighted, but that's about it.

Teh_Bucket

Re: Receiver opinion

Post by Teh_Bucket » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 pm

JSqrt wrote:Hi,
-receiver needs some kind of training modes: 1(optional). weapon usage, 2. safe enemy shooting practice with indicator what has been hit 3. an only airzapper or turret mode (very simple to implement, but one can concentrate on one kind!).
JSqrt
I disagree. Receiver is one of those games where part of the game is figuring things out on your own; they even included some help in the in-game in-story tapes. Yes, this isn't fun to all gamers, but a small (low production cost) game like this can sure be specified to gamers like me. I'd hate it if there was some super-explanatory tutorial in-game. If someone posts super-explanatory videos that are easily accessible out of game, then everybody's happy.