Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Pokieboy

Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Pokieboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:39 am

I'd firstly like to say that I am loving the heck out of this new Receiver update, absolutely beautiful! I've played the new version non-stop as soon as I downloaded it and am only stopping now to write this. I'll probably jump straight back on it in a second too :lol:

So as you probably read, I have some ideas that may or may not be frowned upon, so here goes:

Extracting from Bots: What I had in mind with this concept was that you can get items from dead bots. I like to think of myself as a reasonably good FPS player, but man, I am always out of ammo! And when you run into a room with 5 bots and an empty mag... Yeah it's really futile. :cry:

What would be neat is if you could take (a random amount of) bullets from the dead turrets, and batteries from the flying drones. I'll cover the batteries in second, but being able to take ammo from turrets would definitely make getting from room to room a lot less tedious when you've started with a horrible loadout. :(

Batteries: The torch is an awesome feature, I had to change my brightness settings just to stop myself walking into walls sometimes in the old builds, so the flashlight is awesome for those spots. It's also seems a little too forgiving when you have it though. 8)

What I had in mind was maybe if the torch started with low battery or no battery at all, and you have to acquire one by extracting it from a drone. This battery mechanic have a similar: Holster, Remove, Add, Re-screw feel to it too. :) Maybe even the tape deck can run out of battery?

Manual Disabling: Now this is the last idea I had, and would add a whole new element of stealth when taking on a simple nicely placed turret. Rather than wasting a couple shots, why not be able to just yank some wires out if you get close enough?

Imagine coming into a room when it's just spinning around carelessly, then you wait for the camera to pass over your hiding spot, sprint over to it and press a key (maybe add a x3 press to activate) and then have some wires flop out the bottom where you've ripped them out to disable the entire turret.

And if you combine that with the extracting idea, you could go from being completely empty to having one turret down and maybe enough to fill half a magazine.

Mosin–Nagant Rifle
User MooseHead proposed having a bolt action rifle that you can use along side your sidearm which has the bolt operated manually.

MooseHead wrote:This game needs a Mosin Nagant, or other bolt-action rifle.
Hit dat Z button to raise the bolt, hit E to bring it back, R to push rounds into the internal mag, E to bring the bolt forward and then Z again to close it down.
Another user jonnythejew proposed that the rifle be in pieces and you assemble it as you find the components around the map.
jonnythejew wrote: What if you were to find parts of the rifle scattered around the map, and you would have to put it together when you find all the pieces? That's not very generic! :lol: Of course, it'd be extremely hard to acquire, but it would be worth it.
My suggestion to this also is, like the torch, there can be multiple instances of the parts so it's not as difficult as acquiring the 11 tapes, but still not something you could do every round.

Leaning
Coincidence wrote:And I would like the ability to lean.
Enough said, would make peeking at turrets a lot safer. :lol:

FP-45 Liberator
Aleph wrote:Imagine a "Hard mode" in Receiver where you spawn with this gun [FP-45 Liberator] and 10 bullets, and must try to win the game, or find another, better gun lying (laying?) around on the floor.

A single shot gun made with low cost materials for mass production and distribution to those in occupied areas during WWII. The gun features a single shot mechanism that requires a number of steps to re-chamber and fire another round. It also has a limited capacity of 10 bullets which are stored in the grip of the gun, Aleph propose this gun be used in an optional 'Hard Mode'. Initial idea on how to work the firearm:
  • - Pull back firing pin
    - Open barrel chamber
    - (Situational) Poke current shell/casing out with wooden rod
    - Open bottom/storage
    - Remove 1 round
    - Close bottom (same button)
    - Place round in chamber
    - (Optional) Poke bullet into place with wooden rod
    - Close barrel chamber
    - Apply firing pin
    - Bang
EMP Grenades/Special Ammo
Shadow207B2 wrote:What about EMP Grenades/Special Ammo?
This will oneshot turrets and cameras, no matter of where it hits.
For the grenades, they are for clearing out areas with tons of turrets.
The grenades will have a balanced radius and a very low spawn rate (suggested 1-3 per map)

The EMP rounds are less common than regular bullets and can occasionally start in your inventory. They will need a special magazine to be loaded into (incompatible with Magnum) which needs to be found or started with. To use these bullets, holster your gun and bring up the EMP magazine, it will auto load only EMP rounds, then load as usual.

Bullets are 1 shot kill to all areas of turrets or drones.

Startup Content Selection
orlok wrote:A better idea weaponwise is to have simple user installable "packs".
The idea with this one was to install packs/mods that allow you to define what content you want in game. After some more discussion it was also acknowledged that a loadout/selection screen at start-up could be a very handy option with so much new content.

Instead of having random guns every round and so many guns/ammo types lying around, your experience can be more accurately chosen for a better personal challenge. The idea I had in mind was:
  • - Select sidearm (dropdown list) ['Random', Glock, M1911, Magnum, Liberator etc.]
    - Select secondary gun (dropdown list) ['None', 'Random', Mosin Nagant, Shotgun etc.]
    - Select bonuses (tickable boxes) [Torch, EMP Rounds, (Standand/EMP) Grenades etc.]
    - And select a difficulty setting (dropdown list) [Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane?]
Easy mode might make the turrets spin slower and the drones fly slower. And harder modes can obviously do the opposite and speed them up. For those of you who prefer a more hardcore experience, maybe there could also be an option to reduce the frequency of ammo or weapons lying around. 8)

Using what Orlok said, the selectable content can also include community mods that are added into the game as packs or 'drag-n-drop' installations, further extending your choices.

Shotgun
Coincidence wrote:May I suggest a break-action double-barreled shotgun? With .22 Long Rifle ammunition?
This idea is currently in progress to confirm a balanced damage model. But the idea is for a short range effective weapon with the ability to shoot one or both barrels.
Last edited by Pokieboy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 am, edited 9 times in total.

Pokieboy

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Pokieboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 am

I think the game is trying to tell me to have a break, it just spawned 5 flyers in one room when I just used my last few rounds sniping one off hovering above the next room. :evil:

What makes it worse, is as I bolted through that room, the next room had just as many if not more buzzing around... I tried to get a screenshot but my face was in the dirt before I could even press the key. :lol:

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 am

RESET KEY SETTINGS Button :D I cannot find a way to go back to the default.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 pm

The player is able to find all three guns in one game.

The player starts of with, say, the 1911. Then the player can come across, say, the Model 10 or the Glock in the game world. Then the player can carry multiple sets of bullets.

Or, for an added challenge, the player only has two holsters, so they can only carry a maximum of two out of three guns and have to decide on which by their skill with each and the amount of ammo they have for each.
It's a little frustrating to be stuck with the Model 10 for six rounds when I so very badly want to play with the Glock. It would be so sweet if I started out with the Model 10 and worked my way around the rooms and then found a Glock, though.

I'd also like to see the cassette player in the game that sadly didn't make it in.

jbaskin

Post by jbaskin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm

one thing that i would like to see is better support for lower resolutions. the game itself works fine but the ? menu is unreadable

pukye

Post by pukye » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 am

I think there should be a rifle or something, a gun that is not a handgun. Then you have to find ammo for that as well.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 am

Coincidence wrote:The player starts off with, say, the 1911. Then the player can come across, say, the Model 10 or the Glock in the game world. Then the player can carry multiple sets of bullets.
Yeah I was wondering how you got the new guns after watching the video and wasn't disappointed, more surprised that you start off with a random one. The multiple sets of bullets could be confusing though, imagine if you only had the M1911 and all you found was Glock ammunition... :x Though multiple guns would be nice! :D
Hahaha, isn't there a default button in the pause menu? Or is that default for something else? It would be nice to do key mapping in game, would make it a lot easier to experiment with different configurations.
A rifle eh? I think that'd start to venture away from the game's original design though. As much as I would love to have the ability to maybe carry a rifle (scoped) and a handgun as a sidearm... I think that'd make the game a little too generic even though the concept is still original?

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 am

Pokieboy wrote: Yeah I was wondering how you got the new guns after watching the video and wasn't disappointed, more surprised that you start off with a random one. The multiple sets of bullets could be confusing though, imagine if you only had the M1911 and all you found was Glock ammunition... :x Though multiple guns would be nice! :D
I find that part of the fun of Receiver in the intense frustration that things just don't go your way. You have obviously no idea how teeth-grinding it is to empty a room of tazer-bots and killdrones only to find that there was absolutely no ammunition or tapes waiting for you on the other side. Having multiple ammo types would make the game even more teeth-grinding and therefore more fun and satisfying.

Perhaps finding multiple kinds of ammo could be balanced by making ammo spawn more frequently. It would still be possible for you to run low, because of a randomized nature of the game. Or perhaps you have a lot of ammo but not the correct gun. If you do find yourself in that situation, then you would leap with joy at the sight of the gun you need lying right across the room from you.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Coincidence wrote:You have obviously no idea how teeth-grinding it is to empty a room of tazer-bots and killdrones only to find that there was absolutely no ammunition or tapes waiting for you on the other side.
Oh man, just this afternoon I know exactly how that felt. 8 Turrets spread over two bedroom type maps, took me so long to methodically kill them all.... No tapes... No bullets... :evil:

purple_pixie

Post by purple_pixie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm

One tiny thing this could really do with (at least, was missing from RC 5 - haven't played with 6 yet) is to have the muzzle flash actually light up surroundings.

This was especially noticeable without a flashlight, presumably it's less relevant now, but it'd still be a nice touch.

Jellydonut

Post by Jellydonut » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Well, an idea for the handgun/rifle ammo compromise: What if there, instead of being different ammo types for each weapon, there were more simplified ammo types (handgun ammo, rifle ammo, SMG ammo, etc.)? And, to make you not overpowered if you had a rifle or SMG, they would be rarer and you couldn't spawn with them, and make the ammo more scarce?
--------------------------------------------
Pokieboy wrote: As much as I would love to have the ability to maybe carry a rifle (scoped)....
What about having scopes randomly spawn around the world as well? Maybe you'd need to find a mount for certain weapons.
---------------------------------------------
A couple other problems:
1. Spawning directly under a tazer bot.
2. Spawning with 2 tapes in front of you. This has happened to me multiple times now. Some may say it's a good thing, but it takes from the challenge of the game.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Uh, Jellydonut? What good would an SMG be in this game? We are not fighting soldiers in full body armour who duck and weive and use cover. We are fighting stationary robots and charging flying robots that need to be shot in highly specific points. Precision shooting, my friend, is not something SMGs are built for.

Yes, the Glock has a full-auto configuration, but if you had watched the video you would have heard David say that it is almost always a bad idea to use full-auto, except as a last resort.

Spawning directly under a Tazerbot can be fixed by running into cover before you start fixing up your gun. And why would you not want two spawn right in two tapes? That's rolling a bit of a double six there. The whole game is randomized, and that makes it enjoyable whether you get an incredibly lucky draw or the polar opposite.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:13 am

Coincidence wrote:Precision shooting, my friend, is not something SMGs are built for.
The man has got a point. Also if you have so many different guns ammo types you'll either run into an issue where you have a scarce amount of bullets over multiple guns, or the floor will be so riddled with ammo it'd be ridiculous. The less on the floor the better, but it'd still be interesting to have a system to allow the ability to collect the other guns in a round.

Hell, I'd be happy if you could chose the gun you start with even. :D

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 am

Choosing the starting gun takes away a component of the randomization of the levels.

And I'm not saying I would want the floors to be covered with ammunition. Currently I barely find ammunition at all during a game and a single extra bullet is a lucky catch at the best of times. A little more ammo left around will not break the game or the immersion. And the one in three chance of the ammo actually being for the gun you want would balance it out, maybe even make the game more challenging.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:05 am

Next Functions Id personal like to see in the game Is the addition of Medicen and not so hard on the unforgiving factor. And Hands... Ill Model hands for you If you need them guys!