Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Stromboli

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Stromboli » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am

Honestly, adding new guns really can't dramatically affect gameplay. However...

...one of my favorite things about Receiver is the actual gun handling. Having to learn the different key sequences for each gun is part of the challenge!

What I think my be interesting is to see the implementation of some interesting, unusually operated weapons. If anything automatic were to show up, I feel like it ought to be limited to something like a TEC-9 or Skorpion. I don't really feel like actual rifles or shotguns fit the stealthy, covert feel of the game.

Watts

Post by Watts » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but, how about a Gun Range mode? It would be a safe environment (separate from the main game) where we could just play with the guns, practice reloading, or just mess around. Sort of a free mode if you will.

I imagine a small indoor area, with four or five shooting lanes (one for each type of target?), a gun cabinet, that you could use to change your current weapon, and a ammo box for resupplying. There could also be an annexed outdoor area for long range shooting (in the event rifles are added)

Targets could be inert turrets, bots flying in a steady pattern (skeet shooting?), breakable objects (with physics debris!) and regular paper/metal targets. As a last addition, a tweakable slow motion option could be added, allowing players to slow down time till the bullet can be clearly seen leaving the barrel and in flight. I'm aware there's no 3d bullet model in the game as of now, but that could be added as well.

So, what do you guys think?

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Yo, Watts. You are a friggin' genius. Everyone! Support the idea of Watts!

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Watts. Similar ideas to yours have been suggested. Mostly back before Receiver had its own forum.

Personally, I think it is a fantastic idea. It fits with the whole concept of a doomsday cult training ground.

My own wish is to one day see Receiver expanded into a set of three or four interconnected micro-games that tie the doomsday Mindkill storyline together.

There would be the original FPS Receiver story: a survivor is trying to escape / wake up from the Mindkill.

Then maybe a target practice / training ground that takes place in the past. There might be clever ways to introduce more story details as the cult tries to prepare for the Mindkill.

I also think the game mechanics and story lend itself to conversion into a darker survival-horror scenario. (Kinda tooting my own horn, but I've written up an idea on how a 'Transmitter' scenario might look HERE).

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:44 am

Optimization, optimization, and some more optimization.

Jacobbil

Post by Jacobbil » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 am

I like the three weapons we have, but most of the time I like to roll with the 1911. I'd be rather grateful if the team added the ability to choose a starting weapon whilst still keeping the option of having a random weapon in the next update.

jericdsons

Post by jericdsons » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 am

Jacobbil wrote:I like the three weapons we have, but most of the time I like to roll with the 1911. I'd be rather grateful if the team added the ability to choose a starting weapon whilst still keeping the option of having a random weapon in the next update.
Sounds a brilliant idea sir! it seems that were having improvements. is their any new updates?

Last edited by jericdsons on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sushin

Post by Sushin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:14 am

A lot of these ideas are really on the wrong track and really don't share the vision with the game...EMP bullets and grenades especially....

I would like to see additions to the game that really take advantage of the mechanics, such as a target practice range that includes best times for reloading your gun or shooting an x amount of targets or whatever.
The stand alone game is great but there isn't a whole going on with these mechanics. I mean, I love this game a lot, but there isn't really too much to do. I've been standing behind turrets and as soon as they beep at me we have quick draw duels, or trying to find some way to play Russian Roulette. (both of those could be great game modes btw)
Not to mention...I think a linear-ish shooter using what Receiver has could be great.

TheFishWizard

Post by TheFishWizard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Timbles wrote:Optimization, optimization, and some more optimization.
This. I can run TF2 on max quality but can only run Receiver on the lowest setting possible. :|

tbf2992

Post by tbf2992 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 pm

AR 15s or versions of said rifle have been in use since the cassette days, so it wouldn't be messing with tech of the game. As for shotguns, it depends. If you had a pump with a regulation length barrel I'd say the effective range would be about 50 ft for the game. However it might make the game interesting to have a sawed off pump with a much shorter range-get in real close and deal out some serious damage. Oh and I still want a .44 Magnum revolver.

LazyAmerican

Post by LazyAmerican » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Any news on any future updates?

rudspub

Post by rudspub » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:19 pm

this is my first time ever using a forum before so please correct me if i screw up.what i think would be a great idea would be tracers. they spawn a in small clusters moderately and the tips glow red/green ect. they will fit only simi automatic pistols and when they hit something that spot will glow red/green. they will do very little damage and will help significantly with making precise shots. another thing is people want more enemys. i thought a robot kinda like the honda asimo would be great http://www.diseno-art.com/images/asimo-walk.jpg http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2007/1 ... U5Q7ByQD8Q . make it have a bright flashlight on its shoulder and make electric scanning noises when it walks. its primary attack is it shocks if close and shoots at medium range. its weak spot is its visor and a small square fuse box on its back it can climb stairs and navigate corners slowly but surely. and if you are adding more revolvers make some of them be double action and some single action. realisticly. thats all i got for right now :wink: .

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 pm

rudspub wrote:i thought a robot kinda like the honda asimo would be great http://www.diseno-art.com/images/asimo-walk.jpg
The difficulty of implementing a humanoid enemy aside, that thing doesn't look threatening in the slightest. :lol:

kalimar

Post by kalimar » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Receiver is a game that has stuff other games wouldnt put. Also it can have a higher amount of complexity/detal/realism because of the way the game is (only 2 enemies, recovering tapes is the only mission....).
Based on that I think the sky is the limit.

So...
I think that the game should have only one button to close chamber and open chamber, you will not have a situation where you will be possible to do both, and they are related to the exact same part of weapon firing. This means I am a anti-complexity/realism guy? No, see next.
I think the game should have button combination to insert bullets into specific holes. Maybe this should be forced. This is a cool feature because allow you to group bullets on the chamber together (if you have less bullets than holes) more easily than the russian roullete method.

Talking about running, its a very cool feature the way it is, it add a new gameplay element now you need to keep pressing W to run, and this change alot while you are on battles, it make it better. It also remove the need to the shift button that can be used for other stuff.
Now the gameplay change, I think the player should need to press W everytime he do one step. So to walk he would need to press w and then again w and than again.....,

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 pm

TheFishWizard wrote:This. I can run TF2 on max quality but can only run Receiver on the lowest setting possible. :|
To be fair, it's TF2. You can run it on a rock. Receiver definitely could use a lot more optimization, though.

About the target range/whatsit, I cannot agree more. If any game would benefit from a tutorial/practice stage, it's this one, and there's currently no tutorial (though the newbie text helps a TON).