Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Pokieboy

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Pokieboy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 am

I'm liking these new suggestions guys :D Does anyone know how much development will be going into this? The way I see it, unless it gets Greenlit, it might just get one more update (if we're lucky) and then the Overgrowth development will replace it. :cry:

spillblood

Post by spillblood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Some more enemy types would be cool. To stick with the automatic defenses/drones enemies already in the game: Maybe something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster-Miller_TALON
It should have some restrictions, like not being able to go up/down stairs.
Another thing that would be great: Destructable environment, like in F.E.A.R. Would be cool if the bullets you fire had some more impact on the surroundings.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Oh sweet Jesus... Last thing you want is turrets on wheels. Hahaha you could run to a flight of stairs when you're in trouble, reminds me of Claptrap :lol:

And as for destructo physics, that'd require a complete engine overhaul. As much as I would love to see Receiver running with Frostbite 2 physics, I'm content with the nice Indie plain feeling it has going :D

spillblood

Post by spillblood » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:17 am

Pokieboy wrote:Oh sweet Jesus... Last thing you want is turrets on wheels. Hahaha you could run to a flight of stairs when you're in trouble, reminds me of Claptrap :lol:
Hehe, that would be fun!
Pokieboy wrote:And as for destructo physics, that'd require a complete engine overhaul. As much as I would love to see Receiver running with Frostbite 2 physics, I'm content with the nice Indie plain feeling it has going :D
Yeah, I actually like the graphics. They don't need to add textures or anything like that, because it enforces the retro feeling created by the music.

berq

Post by berq » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm

In terms of combat, the only essential differences between Receiver's current guns are the sight picture and the number of times you can fire before reloading*. So unless the next update makes bullet caliber (inertia) a factor in scoring instant kills for non-vital shots, most of the suggested weapon additions I've see in this thread would only amount to cosmetic changes (though a lot of them are really cool).

A pump shotgun or bolt-action rifle would definitely be different in that they'd require a key sequence (open the action to eject, then close the action to load) between each shot.

Now a rifle is just another way to deliver a bullet, but what would a shotgun fire in Receiver? Slugs have massive inertia, but unless the game accounts for that by sending drones flying, the shotgun would become just another pistol with a lower rate of fire. Double-aught buckshot is like firing a dozen .38 rounds simultaneously, and, despite what games have led you to believe, realistically they DON'T get weak at a distance. Sure, the shot spreads out, but each ball of lead is the size of a large pea. Get hit with just ONE of them and your day is RUINED.
Either way, slug or buck, a shotgun worth including is going to be much more powerful per shot than any pistol. I see it taking down drones with 1 hit, regardless of location, but balanced by receiving maybe 1/3 the ammo of a pistol.

Moving on to new business, one thing I appreciate about Receiver's existing guns is that they fit the graphically sparse look of the environment. They're distinct to the point of being iconic, but not flashy (as opposed to a Walther P99, FN five-seven, or even the Beretta M9, for example). So it's with this artistic sensibility that I make my suggestion:
[+] SPOILER
Ain't nothin' fancy 'bout a potato sack!
Just imagine a turret screaming toward you. Like a matador, you dodge at the last fraction of a second, bringing your burlap bag down around the drone as it flies by. Whereas before you could only hold up your empty bag as a blind to keep turrets from seeing you, you now race in just as its sensors pass, swinging your captured drone at it like a pillowcase full of batteries on a prison snitch's head. With a loud "CLANG!" and few cracks of arcing electricity, you've reduced both drones to scrap. You shake the debris from the bag (by tapping "V" I'd imagine), and continue on in your search for enlightenment.
*Before you say, "the method and time it takes for reloading is a combat difference, too!" let me ask: have you ever completed a reload while being pursued by a hover drone? If you're like me, you only reload when time isn't relevant. While the reload methods are fun, gun-specific dexterity challenges, they only affect combat for those with superhuman dexterity.

spillblood

Post by spillblood » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

Regarding shotguns: I think they'd make it easier to hit the hoverdrones. At present, if they're coming at you at high speed, it's extremely difficult to hit them, sometimes even at near distance.

vakama596

Post by vakama596 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I have to say, these ideas are awesome! The shotgun being a pump action would be a bit overpowered, I like the double barrel idea better. Also, having the bullets act differently in each gun would be a great Idea, such as the 1911 having the effects of a .45 ACP round ie, high stopping power for drones and such but more recoil, the Glock having the effect of a 9 mil. ie, less stopping power but a faster bullet with more penetration and less recoil, and the revolver having the effects of a .38 magnum or other powerful round, possibly a .44 magnum which would have LOTS of recoil but disable most enemies with one shot. The only thing that I don't want to see with this would be different types of ammo found on the map. It needs to remain one type of ammo.

Also the revolver would sent the drones FLYING and that would be amazing :D

EDIT: The idea for the turret on wheels would be amazing, especially if you could shoot out one of the wheels/tracks and watch it spin around in circles while it tries to get close enough to shoot you.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:36 pm

qp0n

Post by qp0n » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I've been reading all that You've written. And got my own ideas together:-)

To be honest I really lack a fight with someone else carrying a gun. It could be an android spawned after you collect all the tapes or something like that. You know The Last Resort of the Threat. Or maybe he could be a very rare spawn, carrying a gun allowing you to take it form him, if you can. Of course you could pass him like every other room in the game. If there won't be any humanoids than at least add those moving turrets. I know this game is hard already. But being hard is this game pro not a con. And it makes you feel that you achieved something when you kill few bots. It's the best kind of achievement when steam doesn't have to remind you that you got it :-)

It would also be nice to have hands. I've watched Wolfire's Video about Receiver and things that didn't make it to release. They said the problem was that hands limited players view. So my idea is to add a transparency slider for hands, and option to not use them. And transparency could only apply when aiming. If you add this you can call new version "The Directors Cut" ;-)

Another thing is a really small one. The bullet shot from a gun should land a little bit (little less than 1cm (yeah, I'm European)) lower than iron sights are pointing. Yeah I know it's a detail, but while playing the game I started thinking about this one, and suddenly my aim got worse:-D

Next small one. I would really love to see contrast green dots on glocks iron sights.
Oh! And that reminds me. There is a bug with glock magazine. It clips through the gun grip after inserting . Only noticeable when reloading in slow motion.

In the topic of gun bugs. I don't think its intended that way but when emptying revolvers cylinder it's almost always rounds that doesn't want to get out, not the cartridges.

Someone mentioned it before. And I agree with him on that... on what? On adding model for the cassette recorder:-)

Adding new weapons is a good idea. SMGs, Rifles etc. all seem good. But there's something in pistols that makes me want to see more detailed models in action. Desert Eagle is a must. I use this gun since one of the first Rainbow Six games landed on my PS1:-) Next is FiveSeven, USP, Walther PPK (yeah it's 007). Seeing MP5 (or MP5k) or M4 would be nice, but I don't think it's a must. It's more of a curiosity thing ;-)

Multiplayer would be really nice (refreshing the genre), but hey! Let's not state the obvious.

I think that's all (yeah I know it's a lot). Let me know what you guys think about those ideas? Anyone agrees, disagrees or maybe anyone just sits there and judge? Yeah, it's late where I'm at.

Last thing! I'd like to take this opportunity to say Hi to everyone cause it's my first post here. So...
Hi everyone!

P.S.: And I did manage to "complete" Receiver for the first time with a ... revolver. I don't know what you guys want from it. It's really good:-P I mean did you ever managed to change magazine while being chased in any of the guns? I didn't. I tend to refill currently equipped magazine every time I got a chance. And it's quicker with the Model 10. Also if you see a room filled with Tazerbots, why wont you just go the around it? there are usually many possible route in this game:-)

orlok

Post by orlok » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Hello there

A couple of points.

Although all weapons essentially are just "bullet throwers", part of the charm for me was being manipulate, with some accuracy, a weapon I have actually owned.

So while adding other pistols/longs to the game wont really alter anything it will attract those gun buffs who love that particular weapon.

For me, the glock leaves me cold, and that's fine as I have other weapons to play with but lets not lock certain folk out by not including their faves. (a vast amount of work I know!)

Installable/deinsstallable packs stops the issue of the game being flooded with weapons or folk not liking a certain "theme".

I'm also not a fan of hands being present.

But, as the above poster said, give the user the choice to have en turn on/offable and you'll keep everyone happy.

As I'm always saying on every forum I visit....player choice is key imho.

Rgds

LoK

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 am

An Android could be pretty awesome as a random spawning boss, maybe he could spawn in a chunk and drop a key to a locked room in that segment? Or maybe drop a badass gun? :lol: It'd certainly scare the shit out of me after I've gotten so used to the turrets and taser bots. :o

Though when you have no health, the best way to kill it would be to sneaky as hell and hope you land a killshot. It's hard to add difficult AI into a game that has already been balanced the best it can with the existing mobs. :?

They updated Overgrowth recently, which was nice. Awesome changes to the AI in that, but it did take them a long time for this alpha release. I'm worried that if this game (Receiver) doesn't get Greenlit that it'll be forgotten. It stands strong already, I just don't know if they'd ever have the time to do all these amazing things the community has thought of when they're so invested in a game they've already been working on for a while. :cry:

Oh well, I love Wolfire, and I'm happy with whatever they give us :D

mandarinn

Post by mandarinn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey!
and android would be awesome! where you need to shoot the legs in order to make it stop following you and other straightforward weak points.

I've seen some great idea's and i really hope some of them will be implemented in the game.
Personally, I would love to see an mp5 or ump.45 or maybe even an m4a1! And a usp.45 for another pistol.

as for the enviroment. if possible a map generator for multiple ways, now there's a straight line, back and forth with a few upper/lower levels.
But there's no left or right. I'd really like that!
I saw the idea already somewhere about keys to locked rooms. maybe a key that's in a well protected room, and that key will open door to a room with all guns available in the game, so you can choose wich one you will continue your path with. (you would only be able to choose one, maybe 2 but you'll be able to carry less ammo or something)

SonicTheHedgeTrimmer

Post by SonicTheHedgeTrimmer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:48 am

Great suggestions there Pokieboy! Most of the things you mentioned were in my mind about it while I was playing too!

I also agree with Coincidence, it might be cool to be able to find guns around the map and hold all of them or a limited amount, like two in two holsters as he mentioned.
Coincidence wrote:The player is able to find all three guns in one game.

The player starts of with, say, the 1911. Then the player can come across, say, the Model 10 or the Glock in the game world. Then the player can carry multiple sets of bullets.

Or, for an added challenge, the player only has two holsters, so they can only carry a maximum of two out of three guns and have to decide on which by their skill with each and the amount of ammo they have for each.
I was also thinking it might be nice if we could have some health, I dunno about you guys but I've played this game so many times and still haven't managed to beat it lol. I've got so close but then a flying guy would come out of nowhere and knock me down. Even if it was just one extra life/shot before you die. Then maybe you could find health packs around the map to give that extra chance back again and maybe give multiple extra chances.

Or maybe I just need to get better at the game, I dunno lol. Pokieboy, your suggestions to the game would probably help me live a bit longer too.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 am

Why are there so many people asking for hit points? Yeah, instadeath is annoying in other games, but I think it actually fits for Receiver. I always thought that I was playing as a layman who just happened to wind up in a dystopia with a handgun and a cassette player, rather than a gun-toting badass who can take a bullet and live through the pain and the injury.

Perhaps if we had a game mode where the character could take more than one bullet before dying? We could call it, "Why did I wake up strapped inside ballistic armour?" mode.

Or perhaps a mode with regenerating health and the killdrones bob up and down behind cover to spray bullets in random directions and instead of a receiver trying to indoctrinate you through the tapes, you have a headset where angry military officials scream at you to press forward and secure strategic points or get to a helicopter or something. We could name it: Call of Duty mode.

orlok

Post by orlok » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello there

The issue is that everyone has their own individual tastes and play styles.

Allowing the player to choose whether he is allowed more health or if he wants a roguelike instakill opens the game to more customers without watering down the core experience.

Rgds

LoK