Receiver community multiplayer mod

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Moody

Receiver community multiplayer mod

Post by Moody » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 am

A multiplayer game with the in depth gunplay of receiver would be awesome. I think this would make a great project for the modding community. The art assets and game mechanics are already there, all it would take is netcode, hitboxes, and player models with movement animations. As far as I know the gun animations are 3rd person animations viewed from a 1st person camera so that's already covered. Although the whole floaty gun thing is a problem since it would look weird from a 3rd person viewpoint. The best workaround I can think of is simply making the character models not have arms. It might look odd, but the floaty gun is already odd (although necessary) anyways.

As far as gameplay, you could either make it be a simple tdm, or you could make it more unique, where players are going around the level and collecting tapes as usual, but instead of unmanned machines, it's enemy agents that face you. Maybe the agents can deploy turrets, or throw those buzzers into the air when they need an edge. The agents can also explore to try and find the tapes before the receivers, but if a receiver kills an agent that has already collected a tape, they can get it off the body. Just food for thought as far as gamemodes go.

I really do think that a multiplayer version of receiver would make the experience tons better, and the firefights would be incredibly intense, especially if it's 1 life per round. I don't know if this really appeals to the community, but I think that the payoff of such a mod would definitely be worth the work. I'm personally not great with modding, I mostly do audio foley work, but if some people are willing to give it a shot, I'd be glad to help with whatever small knowledge I have.

Oathrunner

Re: Receiver community multiplayer mod

Post by Oathrunner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm

I think a Multiplayer mod would be really interesting.

I'd definitely love to see a 1VS1 deathmatch.
Small map, A couple cover points and it'd make for some pretty intense battles.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 am

I'd rather see co-op.
Receiver's slow mechanics don't lend themselves to vs fights, however two pals cooperating could much more easily get all 11 tapes by scouting areas for each other and it'd be interesting to see them have to share ammo or be able to trade guns and flashlights.
That'd be cool, especially since very few games are made nowadays with decent co-op.

Beef Pop

Post by Beef Pop » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am

I agree with Korban: co-op could be a better way to go, given the context and story.

One game that does co-op in a way that receiver might work well with is Journey. I love the limited nature of the multiplayer aspect of that game. Receiver has a similarly ominous, mysterious quality to it that might lend itself well to that kind of gameplay.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:40 am

I have had a look at this myself. Unfortunately, the current code isn't exactly easy to "just add netcode" to. It would require cleaning the code up, most likely effectively recoding the game from scratch :(.

I'm not that interested in undertaking this currently, as I'm working on another project. Also, I have a feeling we might be seeing some official code changes if David and Aubrey decides to develop Receiver even further.

But it's definetely possible.