1911 thumb safety - dead giveaway

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Stuntddude

Re: 1911 thumb safety - dead giveaway

Post by Stuntddude » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 am

Here's my two cents:

The primary purpose of a game like this is to be fun. You haven't shown that making the player unable to visually check the safety would make it any more fun (if anything, it seems it would do the opposite). Therefore, the effort required on part of the developers to add it into the game would not be justified. In conclusion, it should not be changed in this way.

CyberneticSasquatch

Post by CyberneticSasquatch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I think there should be a key you can hold and then when you move your mouse it allows you to visually inspect your weapon on all sides. I treat my firearms the same way if the safety is on or not, so I would expect this game to do the same.

At least allow me to decide how I want to hold the gun when the safety is on/off.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34 pm

CyberneticSasquatch wrote:I think there should be a key you can hold and then when you move your mouse it allows you to visually inspect your weapon on all sides. I treat my firearms the same way if the safety is on or not, so I would expect this game to do the same.

At least allow me to decide how I want to hold the gun when the safety is on/off.
This.

The reason for adding a feature like this is not to make the safety checking harder, or to make the game trick you into death, but to make you even more consciously control your gun, all aspects of it.

You should be able to aim properly, wether or not the safety is on.
You should be able to inspect your gun freely, more freely than you can in the current version. This is not only good for the reason of checking safety, but also for inspecting everything else, too, or just for aesthetic pleasure.

You could hold a button and then rotate the gun with the mouse - in this state you wouldn't be able to fire it (your invisible finger wouldn't be on the trigger while inspecting the gun), but you'd be able to toggle the safety, or possibly even eject the magazine, so that you can see the effects of these actions from more than just one angle.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 am

Sort of like how you can rotate weapons in Amnesia and Penumbra.