Word of advice for Receiver

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
lonewolf101

Word of advice for Receiver

Post by lonewolf101 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 am

now that you have added new weapons and a flashlight, i think you should work more on the player, my advice is to look to overgrowth for ideas on health. if you get shot then mabey you can hobble or walk slower and possibly health packs? thanks for reading and please take these seriously :lol:

Endorgan

Re: Word of advice for Receiver

Post by Endorgan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, so far the way health works is this: You get shot, you die, and I can respect that. Adding the ability to survive taking a hit would pull from the suspense of the game, in my opinion.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm not quite sure how looking to Overgrowth for health would work on this... Overgrowth uses a series of health bars for permanent and temporary damage, and weapons are pretty much instant kills in the game. There is no change to movement, and being damaged (so far) is purely visual. If anything, I would say both games use the same concept... what would kill you in real life, will kill you in game as well. (Aside from dying SO easily from fall damage in Receiver...)

orlok

Post by orlok » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:46 am

Hello there

I also would like perhaps a 2 or three hit life.

I understand it goes against the roguelike experience, so this is why I add the caveat that it should be settable in settings, so those of us who wish to play with a little more health can and those who want the pure experience can switch it off.

what appeals to one sector of the market may not appeal to another, no point in cutting them out IMHO.

rgds

LoK

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Have you ever been shot before? It is not something easily recovered from. Even if you don't die instantly you are pretty much screwed if:
A. You were shot in something vital.
B. You have no medical attention.

orlok

Post by orlok » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello there,

Stubbing my toe is enough to put me out of action, a flesh wound would probably incapacitate me.

But, this is a game and so it's about the enjoyment factor for the end user and the sudden death factor has been ought up on this and other forums. It's great for some, for others it's a turn off.

I'm not saying nerf anything, I'm saying give the player the choice.

Rgds

LoK

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 pm

orlok wrote:Hello there,

Stubbing my toe is enough to put me out of action, a flesh wound would probably incapacitate me.

But, this is a game and so it's about the enjoyment factor for the end user and the sudden death factor has been ought up on this and other forums. It's great for some, for others it's a turn off.

I'm not saying nerf anything, I'm saying give the player the choice.

Rgds

LoK
Aaaaaahhh... One of my pet peeves in gaming is developers adding things in order to make the game more player-friendly for the sake of appeasing to a larger group of people. I can respect a game being more diverse and supporting a range of play-styles, but different play-styles need to be complemented by a sufficient overall challenge.

An example of what not to do is to give the player a fall-mattress so they don't fail the level even if they royally screw up. One example of this is the first Assassin's Creed game. When the player is trying to silently assassinate a target and they get exposed, they don't fail the mission and in fact can succeed more quickly and are rewarded just as much by taking the route that requires less skill. Worse, is there was no way to restart the mission other than dying and going back to checkpoint.

I think that adding hitpoints to Receiver would be exactly adding a player fall-mattress. The only way to complement it with a challenge would be to make the enemies harder to kill or easier for the enemies to see you and have better aim, but that would neglect the health bar entirely. It isn't like you are cheaply insta-killed all the time. The enemies project their presence so much it is nigh impossible to obliviously stroll into death. Not only that, but there is a delay before they fire at you and they beep to let you know that they see you. If you get shot then it is because you screwed up.

And how would a health bar work against tazerbots? If one of them catches you it is not like you can escape it at all. All it would do is delay your death for a few grueling and frustrating seconds.

Maybe I think like this because one of my favorite games of all time is Dark Souls, but I would say, only complain about something if it is truly game-breaking. If all it does is make the game a tad more unforgiving, then it is your job as the player to build up your skill until you can tackle that challenge head-on.

orlok

Post by orlok » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

hello there

Once again, I'm not asking for a Nerf or "Fall Mattress" just the option to enable them.

I hate games which smooth out stuff to appeal to everyone as the game becomes neither one thing nor the other.

BUT, adding the choice of how to play keeps the core game for those who want a Roguelike experience and just adds a system which is a little mor forgiving for those who don't like the relentless pace.

For eg FTL which was just released forces one to keep moving, which for me spoiled the gameplay. Hence I use a mod to disable that mechanic.

When I'm in a quick blast mood, I play the vanilla version, when I feel more like a space opera experience I play with the mod.

It alters gameplay, it doesn't ruin it.

Same with the ideas folk are having to add new weapons. Is it bad to go against the cannonical ethos of the game to add new guns? The new revolver was well received, some may not like it though, so a choice would be great.

Player choice is key IMHO. Whether you or I personally like a mechanic.

Rgds

LoK