recompiling assets?!

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Wobak

recompiling assets?!

Post by Wobak » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:44 pm

hi, i downloaded the source for reciever and imported the level tiles. i want to reduce polygons on them and see if that improves the performance. now i wonder how to compile them into the assets archive?.
can that be done with the free version of unity or does it also require some kind of index file to build the .asset files?

orlok

Re: recompiling assets?!

Post by orlok » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Hello there

I cannot answer your unity question, but even if one reduced the face count of the "blocks", is it not down to the way the engine handles the assests that's the issue (culling etc)?

Whilst reducing/optimising the models may help to a degree will it drastically affect the performance in your opinion?

I had a quick peek at em in XSI, but didn't check the polycount.

Rgds

LoK

Wobak

Post by Wobak » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

orlok wrote:Whilst reducing/optimising the models may help to a degree will it drastically affect the performance in your opinion?
yes, each tile has an averake of 40k triangles, with the nonexistant culling that can eats up performance really quick im sure.
with all edges removed that dont contribute to the form, the trianglecount is reduced to half for the sacrifice of the lighting. i think performance can be definitelly improved with only half as many polygons rendered as normal.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Not really. Unity has a pretty bad track record for performance.
The biggest solution for the performance issues in Receiver is going to be when David can get occlusion culling implemented. That's apretty much a must for any moderately detailed 3D game.