Dual Graphics Cards

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
jonnythejew

Dual Graphics Cards

Post by jonnythejew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:40 pm

My laptop has two graphics card, an nVidia Geforce 630 and a mid-quality one that is automatically used when I go on the Internet and such. The nVidia is for games. For some reason, I can play games like Overgrowth with the resolution at 1366x768 fullscreen, but for some reason I get lag when doing this in Receiver, even if I set the graphics to Fast. Is my mid-quality graphics card being used when I play Receiver, and if so, how can I change that? Or, is my nVidia just bad and can't even run Receiver? Lol. :?

AshEnke

Re: Dual Graphics Cards

Post by AshEnke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:23 am

If you have a laptop and a nvidia gpu, it may be an issue with Optimus.
Optimus is an nvidia technology that switches off your graphical card when it is not needed to improve battery performance.
The problem with Optimus is that it's basically based on a list of games that needs the graphical card, and this list usually doesn't include small games like Receiver.

What you may need to do is to tell your graphic cards drivers to treat Receiver like an application that needs the dedicated gpu.
Open the nvidia control panel (right click on your desktop), go to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings, then "Applications settings" (something like that, my OS is in french).
You can then add "Receiver.exe", and in the dropdown box under select "High Performance Nvidia" as your favorite gpu.
Then apply and launch Receiver again. Nvidia should treat it like a gpu-intensive program, and use your main (and powerful) gpu to launch it, thus fixing your performance problems.

jonnythejew

Re: Dual Graphics Cards

Post by jonnythejew » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks man, I've been wondering how to do that for a long time :lol: