A few gun inaccuracies

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
rifles

A few gun inaccuracies

Post by rifles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm

I noticed a couple inaccuracies about the 1911 and the M10.

On the 1911, the slide can be racked with the safety engaged. This is impossible on a real 1911, as the safety moves up into a slot on the slide, and prevents any movement.

On the M10, if your hammer is cocked and you want to decock, the current procedure is to hold f, then hold your fire button, and then release f. This basically simulates grabbing the hammer, pulling the trigger and then dropping the hammer without holding it. I think the controls could be done better to simulate only pulling the trigger to release the hammer, and then letting go of the trigger and decocking it in a controlled fashion.

The safe way to decock a double-action revolver with a transfer bar safety is to release the trigger before lowering the hammer. The transfer bar is basically a bar connected to the trigger that moves down when the trigger is depressed, when it is not depressed, it is in the way of the hammer, so the firing pin never contacts a primer. The process on a real one is to basically grab the hammer, pull the trigger and lower the hammer slightly, and then release the trigger and lower the hammer the rest of the way.

Just some spergy points from a gun guy who owns both.

carolusiv

Re: A few gun inaccuracies

Post by carolusiv » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 am

Made an account to say this, but you beat me to it. This might seem trivial to some, but I think the overall realism in the mechanical operation of these weapons makes little errors like these more glaring.

A few of other things also bother me.

Any time a semi-automatic gun is brought to slidelock, the round in the chamber will be ejected and the next round in the magazine will be chambered upon release. Performing a chamber check involves bringing the slide less than halfway back before letting the recoil spring close the action on its own. A chamber check or press check should only bring the slide back far enough to see brass.

Furthermore, any time a semi-auto handgun is brought to slidelock, the hammer (or striker in the Glock's case) will be cocked. In the game, you'll notice that a de-cocked 1911 brought to slidelock and released will still be de-cocked. In reality, the rearward motion of the slide is what cocks the hammer in single-action and double-action/single-action weapons.

Glock handguns function on what's called a pre-set striker action. This means that the rearward motion of the slide partially cocks the internal striker, leaving a light double-action pull to finish retracting and then release the striker. This means two things. One, if the striker falls on an empty chamber, it must be re-cocked manually by manipulating the slide. Two, the striker cannot be de-cocked in any manner other than dropping it on an empty chamber by pulling the trigger.

EDIT: Disregard this last paragraph. I just discovered that even though it's listed in the help menu with the Glock in hand, you can't actually de-cock it.

Nkai

Post by Nkai » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Bought the game today and played for a few hours. One error/inaccuracy I found was when I load a fresh mag and eject it again, you can see a round sitting as if it were on top of a mag stack. (Slide locked back) Releasing the slide then chambers that round. On real mag-fed pistols, a round is chambered when the slide is released which strips a round from the magazine, pushes it under the extractor and into the barrel. You can also load a cartridge straight into the breech with the slide locked back but this causes damage to the extractor.

CyberneticSasquatch

Post by CyberneticSasquatch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Nkai wrote:Bought the game today and played for a few hours. One error/inaccuracy I found was when I load a fresh mag and eject it again, you can see a round sitting as if it were on top of a mag stack. (Slide locked back) Releasing the slide then chambers that round. On real mag-fed pistols, a round is chambered when the slide is released which strips a round from the magazine, pushes it under the extractor and into the barrel. You can also load a cartridge straight into the breech with the slide locked back but this causes damage to the extractor.
Aww I thought I found something new. Anyway I made a video showing this. http://youtu.be/TFXhGrzn-Oc

Katemonster

Post by Katemonster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Blatant self-promotion: I have already addressed all of this. Some improvements were made as a result but word is there isn't going to be an RC8.

LazyAmerican

Post by LazyAmerican » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Awwww a shame....this is such a fantastic game.