Lights clogging up the framerate

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Coincidence

Lights clogging up the framerate

Post by Coincidence » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:50 pm

My copy of Receiver has a framerate that goes up and down like waves on the ocean tides and I was a little confused as to what was causing it. The graphics of Receiver aren't exactly straining on the hardware and it cannot be the AI code or the gun mechanics as I can get a buttery-smooth framerate sometimes in rooms where there exist seven or eight killdrones. At other times I find myself in the starting room with the framerate resembling that of a PowerPoint slideshow, but then after I've played for a while and more rooms and environmental objects have spawned the framerate picks up again and behaves itself.

But I think I have figured out exactly what the problem is. The game slows down whenever I walk into a room with a lot of environmental lights. When the room is almost pitch black I can light it up with the torch and the framerate is fine. Rooms with only a few environmental lights have a bearable framerate, but as the lights accumulate eventually the framerate is so slow that it can interfere with gameplay and give me a splitting headache. There is one particular room in Receiver where the walls are lined in lights from beginning to end and that room slowed me down to one frame per second in one memorable and nauseating incidence.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Geck0

Re: Lights clogging up the framerate

Post by Geck0 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Yeah I've had this since day 1 and it's also always in rooms with lots of lights. It's most noticeable for me by the gfx card (or cpu) fan suddenly speeding up when in those rooms. Hopefully they'll improve this in a future update.

minecraft805

Re: Lights clogging up the framerate

Post by minecraft805 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 pm

I hate it when my high performance computer can't do diddly squat against the game itself. They need to fix this, or maybe someone else will. That'd be great. :idea: :D