A Gunsmith's Analysis (Updated for RC7)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
SharpShinyThings

Re: A Gunsmith's Perspective

Post by SharpShinyThings » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 pm

katemonster wrote:I have functions and key mapping all figured out for these, but I'm not going to go into detail about it unless it's requested...
Can this be considered a request for detail? Maybe give some of the modding comunity a head start! I really would want to try the Blackhawk, a single-action revolver would be fun. Alongside being forced to load single rounds in any of the magazine-fed weapons.

Loveing this thread,
~Sharp

likemecake202

Re: A Gunsmith's Analysis (Updated for RC7)

Post by likemecake202 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:26 pm

I would agree with your prespective but, I got a little to board to read the rest of it. But, good news is if you go to contact and tell them what they need to change and how they need to change it (May work may not work) you can help them with it and will think about it to see if it works out. If it does work out then your satisfyed, if it doesn't then too bad. But to tell you my opionion. I think you need to summerize your postings gunsmith analysis person. It gets a little boring reading a book about one thing so, do me a favor and shorter your reply's and comments about guns. Unless your coping and pasting. But, otherwise your doing a good job. :D

P.S. My dad has a symtom called ADD or ADSD....... Before he died... :cry:

Katemonster

Post by Katemonster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 pm

So I'm sort of back. I've been super busy with writing and actually haven't played Receiver in a few months; I'm very cyclic with gaming, and someone got me DCS: A-10C Warthog for Giftmas. Turns out the illness thing was a complete lack of Vitamin D in my system (phew, no diabetes or rheumatoid problems) and I'm back on top now.
SharpShinyThings wrote:Can this be considered a request for detail? Maybe give some of the modding comunity a head start! I really would want to try the Blackhawk, a single-action revolver would be fun. Alongside being forced to load single rounds in any of the magazine-fed weapons.

Loveing this thread,
~Sharp
It has been so long since I have played that I'm completely out of practice and can't fully remember how everything works now. Let me log a few hours on the game to get back in the groove and I'll get back to you on this. Anyway, thank you. :)
likemecake202 wrote:--snip--
I only recently figured this out, but I have a really bad reading disability where I can't process very large chunks of text; erratic eye movement makes it impossible to line-track and I keep skipping all over the place, so reading is very unpleasant for me. Must be why I prefer comic books over traditional literature. It makes it very difficult to write this stuff too. Based on my own experience on this I predicted that no one would care to read through three pages of rambling about gun minutiae, but it turns out almost everyone reads way faster than I do and it isn't that big of a deal.

I hate to be blunt about this but, seeing as how you are the only person who has complained about the length/density thus far, I'm not gonna worry about it. I can't please everyone, and I can't shorten it at all without either removing a lot of (what I think are) important details or making it really monotonous to read. And no, I'm certainly not copy/pasting any of this; the whole writeup is my own original work (stolen photo references notwithstanding. >__>)

Katemonster

Post by Katemonster » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 am

I'm putting this here although it isn't necessarily directly related to Receiver, though Receiver does play into my response. I was reading David's blog posts about the GDC Animation Bootcamp and something stuck out to me in part 5:
Sometimes you really do have to break the rules though. The highest priority is to show the player what is happening, so everything has to be in front of the camera. Nobody would really reload right in front of their face like that, and the first-person camera FOV would not be able to see a weapon that is fired from the hip, but we have to compromise on realism to keep all the important action on screen.
Well actually...

Generally not, no, at least not with recreational shooters. However in combat, it's becoming somewhat standard practice (as in among PMCs, SOF, and SWAT officers) - particularly as taught through the Magpul Dynamics school of combat rifle shooting - to keep the weapon up in front of your face while reloading or clearing malfunctions rather than looking down at the weapon. This has to do with threat detection; if you're looking down, you're no longer paying attention to what is going on around you and that can get you killed. If you bring the weapon up to your line of sight, even though you're focused on the weapon itself, you're watching around you via your peripheral vision and can that way detect and respond to threats that would get you killed otherwise. Same reason they started putting head-up displays in fighter aircraft, putting all of the major flight data (bank, attitude, altitude, heading, airspeed, angle of attack, etc.) right on the gunsight so you rarely have to take your eyes off the sky to look down at the panel.

This is actually aptly demonstrated in Receiver. Granted that it is not a fast-paced game and you generally aren't looking around for threats while you're standing still and configuring your weapon. Still, when you are manipulating the gun, it helps to be looking at it - particularly if you're doing a press-check* - and there's two ways to do that: look down at the weapon, or hold RMB/tap (Q) to bring it up to your line of sight. The later is more comfortable, at least for me, and certainly better if you are worried about a shock drone suddenly drifting into view. That also leads to a second point which is, in Receiver, the weapon is obviously not visible to the player unless aiming or looking downward; I don't think this detracts from gameplay, and I still don't think it would if there were actually animated arms holding the gun.

*Technically if it's dark to the point that you can't see the weapon, you can still press-check by feeling for the cartridge with your fingertip in the ejection port, but that doesn't really apply to Receiver.

Oh, and firing from the hip? No one who knows what they are doing fires from the hip, ever. It's a Hollywood invention and saying it's bad form would be a gross understatement (when I wrote this I was trying to think of exceptions to that statement and couldn't come up with any, but someone pointed out to me that the Browning Automatic Rifle was indeed used from the hip, buttplate cupped in a metal holder on the shooter's belt in an attempt to control the recoil. It was a bad idea, and shooting from the hip is still dumb.) Shooters on the move who aren't really able to aim down the sights well, or using a weapon like a pistol-grip shotgun with high recoil, poor accuracy, and no buttstock, typically have the weapon still held up and out in front of them lined up near the shoulder or the center of the chest.

In fact, with the vast majority of first-person shooters, it is a pet peeve of mine to have the weapon sticking out of the bottom-right corner of the screen. In real life, the gun is lined up with your right (assuming you're right handed) shoulder blade and your body is turned so that the weapon goes across your chest and is lined up directly below your right eyeball. (Alternatively, if you're wearing a Kevlar vest with rifle plates and you want to keep the ballistic plate facing straight forward toward your aggressor, you'll instead generally have the weapon perpendicular to your body, lined up near the middle of your chest with a shortened buttstock.) In-game, your weapon should really always be displayed lined up with the vertical center line of the field-of-vision rather than inexplicably floating off to the side... Heaven forbid I ever suggest any modern FPS should be more like Doom. Watch the intro for this old Armalite promotional video for the AR-10 with the guy running up the beach firing from the hip and tell me it doesn't look completely ridiculous and ineffectual - this is basically what I imagine all FPS player-characters doing at all times.

Just one woman's opinion.

BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

SharpShinyThings

Post by SharpShinyThings » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

THAT IS MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE!!! Even top-notch milsims fall in with that "floating M-4" thing, it's so dumb!

NavyCuda

Post by NavyCuda » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Wish I had found this thread before I pointed out my concerns with the 1911 in my thread.

You make some interesting points, however I don't really agree with you on adding malfunctioning ammunition into the game.

I was raised around firearms and the only dud ammunition I have ever experienced was occasionally with very old .22LR. Every malfunction I have had with my 1911 has been a direct result of a mistake I made, namely installing the lifter for the series 80 firing pin safety incorrectly.

I also am into reloading, and thankfully I have yet to make a mistake and load a squib, knock on wood. If dud ammunition were to be added into the game, I would suggest that it have an extremely rare occurrence rate.

I would like to point out that it is also possible to reload a magazine while holding onto the pistol. Using my right hand, I lock the base plate of the magazine into my fingers on the left side of the 1911. From there I use my left hand to insert cartridges into the magazine.

I would like to see a Mauser k98k in Receiver.

Groenendael72

Post by Groenendael72 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Well I hate to crash your hip-shooting-doesn't-work party, but It kind of does. Please try it with a non-lethal weapon in case your hand eye corndination isn't very good. I can hit a tree from 100 yards with a spud, which means I could hit a killdrone from 50 feet quite easily. Mostly hip shooting is best for close-range indoor conflicts(Sound like recevier much?). Of course, aiming normally is always better, but still....

For those more educated: Spud=Potato

On black powder weapons and spears:
black powder weapons would be awesome, but aren't realistic to be there.
I don't remember who mentioned spears, and it was a while back, but you'd be suprised how many people own them.
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/pilum.html
especially in england