[SOLVED] Low framerate on high end hardware

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
MishoM

[SOLVED] Low framerate on high end hardware

Post by MishoM » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 am

I've got a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 (8GB RAM, 4-core CPU - i7-3630QM, Nvidia GTX 660M with 2GB). I expected to be able to play Reciever at Full HD on such hardware - Overgrowth achieves more than 90-100 fps on some levels at Full HD.

However, I experince terrible lag, which makes the game virtually unplayable. At Full HD it feels like 5-6 fps or less. The worst problem is not the skippy image, it is that when I stop moving the mouse or release a movement key, the movement continues for some time, making aiming at a moving target impossible.

On "half" HD it still lags too much. At 1280 x 720 the lag is still noticable. I can kill the turrets if I'm carefull, but it is very hard to "rush" them, because my movement continues for a little while after I release the movement key.

At 800 x 600 the lag is barely noticable, but still enough to make it very hard to track a tazer that is coming at me.

The highest resolution that I found at which the game is responsive enough is 640 x 400, a resolution I thought was extinct from anything but cheap phones.

At all of these resolutions I'm playing at the "Fastest" setting.

I feel that even if there are some complex lighting and shadows in the game, this low performance is not acceptable on such hardware. What is the reason for it? Is there something I can do to help David address the issue?
Last edited by MishoM on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Low framerate on high end hardware

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am

Are you talking about moving from room to room? This is an issue with object culling, and something that can't easily be fixed in Unity, unfortunately. We do have some plans on how to improve that issue, but I don't have an exact quote as to when that will happen.

MishoM

Post by MishoM » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

No, it lags all the time. I experience a very short pause when entering a new room but the lag is constant - even when I'm standing still and only rotating with the mouse.

assteepee

Post by assteepee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah I also experience the framerate lag. I have to play on the absolute lowest graphic settings and a lower resolution to experience what seems like a decent framerate for the most part, and even then it will still lag in areas with lots of light. It also seems to get worse the longer I play...ie if I play on the lowest settings it'll start off consistently pretty good but as time goes by the framerate starts to dip. On the other hand I experience framerates of 60+ in Overgrowth on the highest settings.

My laptop has a 2 GB Nvidia 630m video card, which is ok but it's an Optimus laptop, which might be the problem. However I still run most other games perfectly fine, always at least above 30fps, which I am definitely not getting if I am running the game on anything but the lowest settings.

MishoM

Post by MishoM » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 am

Yes, it turned out that Optimus is the problem. It occurred to me too, so I opened the nvidia control panel and selected to always use the dedicated graphics card. Now the game runs smoothly at 1366 x 768 / Fantastic. On 1980 x 1080 it lags just a little even on Fastest, but enough to make aiming at tasers harder.

I call this good enough, because though my laptop is high end, as gaming machines go it is mid-range or even low-end :D.

assteepee

Re: [SOLVED] Low framerate on high end hardware

Post by assteepee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 am

Bah mine still lags with it on always use nvidia card. That usually solves problems for most games, so it was on that setting before anyway. But optimus is wonky like that though, sometimes it's just gonna screw you in the ass and there's nothing you can do :(