Receiver Updates

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
SharpShinyThings

Receiver Updates

Post by SharpShinyThings » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Receiver Updates (and opinions)

So, while I'm trying to start one of the "good" threads here, let me just be clear. I have no qualifications, experience in modding or programming (and only a little in firearms), or any particular reason to be taken seriously. I hope you can anyway.
Well! Now that that's out of the way, let's get on to what I'm here for!

As we know, Receiver was made for the 7-day FPS competition, and is incredibly well polished and complete for it. That is, well-polished for a game made in 7 days. It still needs a bit more shine. The guys at Wolfire have put out updates and improved stuff greatly instead of just dropping it on its face like they could have, and I hope the continue to do so (so long as its not at the expense of Overgrowth!).

All this is here for is to put up minor changes and tweaks to put that final level of shine on a great game. Your sugestions, and of course my own arrogant opinions. Hopefully some of it trickles into Update RC8.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT ANOTHER THREAD FOR GUN SUGESTIONS. IF WOLFIRE IS SMART, THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO YOU, ME, OR ANYBODY WHO HAS NOT PROVEN THEMSELVES ABSOLUTE GENIUSUS IN THE FEILD OF FIREARMS (go read Katemonster's "Gunsmiths Analysis" thread!) THIS IS FOR ASTHETIC, CONTROL AND OPTIMIZATION SUGESTIONS.
Thank you.

I will do my best to read everyone's posts and try and consolidate them every once in a while, for ease-of-reading purposes. I am a complete n00b with forums, so I may fail regularly.

Thanks ahead of time!
~Sharp

SharpShinyThings

Re: Receiver Updates

Post by SharpShinyThings » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Movement Improvement (Ha! Accidental rhyming FTW!)

Let's start with the Good, then the bad, then the sugestions.

Reciever basic movement is bog-standard, and that's good. While I'd like an option to toggle view bobbing, the weapon sway feels just right for the pace.
I really like the "pummel W to run" mechanic, it encourages the player to consider running more carefully, without being obtrusive.

Now the bad. Or, well, not perfect. First off, crouching. It feels really low, which is not normally a problem, but movement speed is still rather high. (I'm not even fully certain crouch-walking is slower, I need to research). Also, both the view bobbing and weapon sway are the same as standing. I feel you would have a lot more bobbing when you try to walk with your knees in your chest. As it is, it feels very arcadey in a game that wants to be immersive.
The player character really hates walls. I feel like I get stuck on walls a lot. While I don't have the foggiest idea what the problem actually is, I think walls need to feel "slippery".
Jumping. Ah, jumping. I'm just going to add my sugestion right here: ledge climb. It is really clumsy to hop onto ledges. A semi-contextual climb would be great.
The last problem I have is a bit more personal. I have leapt into full view of a fireing squad of turrets at least ten times. Simply put, the usual brisk walk is simply too quick for tactical movement.

Changes:
Crouching drops the viewpoint the same amount, as it works well with the available cover. However, when the player moves, the viewpoint rises slightly with normal with normal bobbing. Weapon sway while crouch-walking should be horrid. (ArmA/DayZ players... that)
I already talked about adding a ledge-climb.
Finally, my biggest sugestion: a "sneak" or "creep" function. Players of Minecraft would be familiar with the function, holding the key while moving dramatically slows movement speed, and assuming the Player Character is a competent marksman, it would also eliminate weapon sway. Of course useable while crouched.

That's that. Most of the movement issues I see, and how I would attempt to deal with it.

Cheers!
~Sharp

Retarded Username

Re: Receiver Updates

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Of course optimization, LOTS of optimization for it. It is damn hard to get into a room full of turrets and survive, even more if the game just goes down to 8 FPS (or even less).
I suppose that's my fault for having a poop computer anyways.
I'd also like that the levels don't revolve around your current gun. That you could find other guns and ammo would be nice, it would be a little harder to play being that you may be praying for some ammo for your current gun but, oh surprise, surprise, lots of ammo... For the one gun you don't currently own.