Unusually High CPU Temperatures...

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
dobermuffin

Unusually High CPU Temperatures...

Post by dobermuffin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey all,

just purchased Receiver (its awesome). Lovin' every bit so far except for one--this game makes my computer hotter than almost any other game. It's worse than Borderlands, GTA: SA, Half-Life 2, FarCry... many games with much more going on. I'm hitting 80 degrees Celsius on the fastest graphics, fans screaming at 6000 rpm.

The strange thing that I don't even have high CPU usage--I'm getting about 40-50% usage at the worst. Using maybe 12% of my vram so I figured it couldn't be that either. I'm on a mid-2012 MBP running OSX 10.8.3 Here's the hardware specs of my machine:

2.5 GHz intel core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

I have a sneaking suspicion that its rendering a ridiculous number of frames, perhaps something that Unity just does... Slender had the same issue, low CPU and GPU, but extremely high CPU temps.

I'm hoping for an fps cap or a workaround. Anybody else getting this issue, and hopefully have a workaround? :D

Thanks in advance.

Edit: After plugging my mac into a tv I'm now getting massive screen tearing as well--confirming that this is probably due to getting a few hundred fps (unnecessarily). Any option for at least vsync? Maybe an fps cap or vsync option could be included in the next build (I know some people hate both)?

dobermuffin

Re: Unusually High CPU Temperatures...

Post by dobermuffin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm taking it no one else has this problem, or knows any way to fix it? No way to cap the fps? :(

Any news about any of this included in a future update...?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

Very strange.

Have you tried vsync?
Also, what's your monitor's native framerate and resolution?

I have a suspicion that it's just because you can't handle the game's graphics though. Reciever's lowest settings aren't really... low. They're more like slightly lower than high in effect as I don't believe many of the lighting settings are actually disabled on lower settings.

As you're using integrated graphics, unless you missed your graphics card out of the specs, you probably just can't handle the graphics. Integrated graphics are not good.

Oh and yeah, it makes sense that you can handle those games. GTA, HL2 and FarCry are pretty old games and Borderlands is just a great port so it's not much of a surprise that you can handle them.

jayoskate

Post by jayoskate » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:09 am

Nope, I've had the same problem and I'm running a GTX 560 and AMD FX-6100 6 core at 3.3GHz.
It's probably something to do with Unity.