Being Neo for dummies

The place to discuss all things Receiver.

Did this guide help you in any sort of way?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

TehEpic

Being Neo for dummies

Post by TehEpic » Mon May 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Disclamer: Please don't assume I'm boasting, I'm honestly pants at this game and I found that there are no recent guides on the forums. Also, if you could post other strategies, tips, hints and other helpful stuff it would be much appreciated, like I said earlier, I'm no good at this and the view of an experienced player would be welcome.

Right, so often I see people who are writing about how taserbots and turrets scare the crap out of them. It seems like no-one can, or has tried, to outrun them. Recently I had a run where I spawned with almost no ammo. For the entire game I was forced to stealth, dodge and do matrix stuff. I managed to get 4 cassette tapes but then my computer was too laggy to play due to about 60+ ai being spawned behind me.

Sprinting

It seems like many people don't know how to sprint. If you holster your weapon with the `/~ button and then mash w you can 'sprint'. I assume that double tapping w was meant to be a dash and not a full sprint, but it's good to use when you need to outrun taser bots and friends. Also,
"The running can be performed simply by lowering your gun. You don't need to holster it completely. In that way, you can actually run pretty quickly, and it's faster to pull it back up than holstering. (Although, if you are using Q to toggle the aiming, it might be about the same.)” - Anton

Taser Bots

Since many people fear taser bots for being that unknown presence that wrecks your runs from the shadows, I'll talk about how to (shoddily) evade, avoid and outsmart them.

How to avoid Taser Bots chasing you

The UFOs have many weaknesses, one is that the camera is positioned downwards at what I think is a 45º angle. This means that if you are even slightly above them you are completely invisible to them, allowing free passage if you are on a walkway or bridge. Also, these UFOs cannot hear and don't react sharply to being shot, unlike turrets. If you see one right on the edge of your view distance, then try to pick it off. Chances are it will be stationary and an easy target.

How to evade and outsmart Taser Bots

Now, evasion is usually based on how nimble you are and on how well you can use the environment to your favour. Sprinting away is easiest, if you manage to get a room between you and the bot it should go back to neutral/patrol mode. To do this you must know the chunks that spawn well so you can get through them quickly. These usually contain turrets which I will explain how to dodge later.
These Taser Bots are also not very nimble, if you manage to put a doorframe or any other sort of small gap between it and you, chances are, it'll get stuck and stop the pursuit. Although it is rare, if a Taser Bot slams into a wall with a vital part first it can destroy itself, use this to your advantage by weaving around pillars and other obstacles.

Turrets

Turrets are far easier to stealth around than their flying counterparts. Although they have a gun it is easy to avoid it's rotation and the actual turret's position by using whatever I say below (manoeuvres not guaranteed to, and probably won't, work at all)

Sneaking around Turrets

Turrets are easy to stealth past. This is because they rotate and never look in a single direction unless they spot you. If you are in a poorly lit area you can usually see their blue light moving across surfaces. If you are caught in this rectangle then it will open fire on you. The moment it passes your position you can either move directly past it, whilst avoiding the camera, or stop inside of the Turret. Since you do not collide with the Turret you can stand inside of it. No matter how much it spins around it will not detect you. Use this to your advantage by planning your advance or waiting for it to revolve around again.
"If you're in one of those rooms with the blocks, and pillars and a staircase leading up to another flat floor, and that sometimes the blocks would have Turrets on them, you can get the turrets to notice you and aim up, and keep them aiming up so you can sneak under their camera when you go back down. Helpful for when you don't have bullets.” - Timbles

Dodging a Turret's gunfire

If you are ever being chased and need to pass by a turret in a hurry. Simply charge directly at it, if it spots you circle it or jump to the side to avoid getting minced. Turrets have poor accuracy, this is sometimes a negative because the bullets may spray out in front of where it is aiming and clip you unintentionally. Do not assume that you can pull these off every time. You are better off dodging in whatever way you can based on the turret’s rotation.

Where to do the pew pew

Right, so if you want to pick either a UFO or Turret off then you should aim for the parts mentioned below. Only do this if you either have a good supply of ammo or if you cannot sneak past the bot.

Taser Bots

Taser Bots are relatively easy to down, as long as you hit the white area of the bot (not the orange floaties around it) you've got a good chance of getting it down. Shooting them down is very easy if they are charging you since they lean forwards and you can get a clear shot on the main housing. I would recommend putting multiple shots into one at close range, as some bullets may ricochet.

Turrets

The Turrets are easier to take down as they are stationary. Your 1# target should be the brown base of the turret just above the legs. This is the motor and controls the turret's rotation. If you hit this there is a high chance of disabling the entire Turret. If you do not disable the Turret then it's movement will be disabled instead. To deal with the latter you should just aim at the brown box mounted to the front, this is the camera. If hitting this does not disable the Turret then it doesn't matter, since it won't be able to move or see so it can't do anything anyway.

Please don't take this guide as your gameplay bible, these are only a collection of tips. If you roughly follow these then you will know what to do best in whatever situation the game gives you!

I hope this helped! Good luck!
Last edited by TehEpic on Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Being Neo for dummies

Post by Constance » Mon May 06, 2013 4:16 pm

You should post this on Steam guides; it'll help a lot of people. Otherwise, pretty damn good guide.
One tip that I'd add is that if you're in one of those rooms with the blocks, and pillars and a staircase leading up to another flat floor, and that sometimes the blocks would have Turrets on them, you can get the turrets to notice you and aim up, and keep them aiming up so you can sneak under their camera when you go back down. Helpful for when you don't have bullets.

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 pm

I should add that in, thanks.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am

I like this guide, but one thing I noticed is, the running can be performed simply by lowering your gun. You don't need to holster it completely. In that way, you can actually run pretty quickly, and it's faster to pull it back up than holstering. (Although, if you are using Q to toggle the aiming, it might be about the same.)

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 am

Anton wrote:I like this guide, but one thing I noticed is, the running can be performed simply by lowering your gun. You don't need to holster it completely. In that way, you can actually run pretty quickly, and it's faster to pull it back up than holstering. (Although, if you are using Q to toggle the aiming, it might be about the same.)
I’ll try that out later, I never actually tried sprinting with a lowered gun since when I did it I had no ammo and thought it would be better to holster it completely. Thanks!

liampieman

Post by liampieman » Sun May 12, 2013 3:52 am

this guide was very usefull

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Sun May 12, 2013 1:49 pm

liampieman wrote:this guide was very usefull
Glad to help.

Cooperal

Post by Cooperal » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

I can certainly never get enough help with avoiding those flying drones. When a turret catches me out, it's normally fluke-based, but when my bullets fail me with drones, they'll practically ALWAYS catch me out unless I have a lot of space to move, or am already hugging a corner. Taking sharp turns is easy enough, not so much ducking for me.

If I don't have ammo, scanning an area from a doorway seems a bad idea because it lures the drones to camp the entrance. Either stay away from the door or sprint through with an exit plan decided in advance.

I've done a lot of "no gun" attempts and I've learned quite a lot about the things I can get away with. (Maybe uploading a video purely dedicated to that style of gameplay in the future). Amazingly it seems you only NEED your gun to bypass turrets in about 10% of the situations you face. Once I even stood still in front of a drone from a little distance because I was feeling too lazy to find ammo. To my amazement, every shot missed.

A good often-missed thing to use to your advantage are the external ledges that can occasionally be used on the mid-level of buildings. You can view 2-story rooms from angles that help you see things that you can't see from the entrance. Risk-free too due to glass. Really helps you plan and weigh up your survival odds.

Shameless self-advertising incoming:
Parts of my newest video (particularly the first scene and 2:30) showcase some of the things you can pull around turrets that new players might've thought impossible to get away with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFI-R0ju6k

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Mon May 13, 2013 2:49 am

I've found that if a drone is sitting at a doorway it is usually in its 'patrol mode' it will take it a second to beep and begin chasing you. If you sprint through then you can usually just run past into the next area withot getting tased.