[IDEA] Realistic Trigger Pull

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Falcon

[IDEA] Realistic Trigger Pull

Post by Falcon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:22 pm

I've been thinking about the functionality of Single Action vs Double Action in the game and how it relates to real life. In real life, the reason SA is sometimes more accurate is because the trigger pull is lighter. Of course, all guns have varying trigger pulls, but SA is significantly lighter and with a hammer pulled back, also has less travel.

With this in mind, couldn't a more realistic trigger pull be achieved by using the mouse wheel as the trigger? A common aiming issue comes with "compensating" for the recoil- a jerk down at the time of pulling the trigger. I think that using the mouse wheel would replicate that quite a bit. Lighter trigger pulls would become less travel of the mouse wheel, creating a more rapid fire as well as lower chance of "compensating." And to demonstrate the downsides do jerking a trigger, the gun can pull to the right and/or up when the mouse wheel is over-pulled.

This would give every gun a unique feel to its trigger the best a game can replicate. It would also get rid of that over-simplistic idea of hairpin trigger pulls being more accurate. And most of all, it would give the player the actual motion of pulling a trigger, which would add to immersion in a very "Receiver" way.

What do you think of this? Too much, or just the right feel for this game?

Jamklanson

Re: [IDEA] Realistic Trigger Pull

Post by Jamklanson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, it would be nice if this was implemented, but i don't think that they are working on receiver anymore...

Jackson31

Post by Jackson31 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I actually had this exact same idea recently, when I was first learning how to fire a pistol that recoil anticipation thing was causing me to be pretty inaccurate until i figured out what I was doing.

The way I would do it is have the gun tilt downwards at the same rate you roll the mousewheel, so that way if you roll the mouse wheel really fast it will tilt the pistol down a bit, but if you slowly squeeze it back it will stay strait

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

This first issue with this that comes to mind is that not all mice have wheels.
Heh, that sentence is hilarious in itself.
The second is that every different mousewheel-donning mouse type has a slightly different feel and functionality for its wheel, which would impact the gameplay experience per mouse a greater amount than one might initially think, and would have an even greater impact on the game's portability; practiced players might suddenly go wild with overtriggered shots or fail to shoot at all when playing the game at a different location with a different mouse.

Also to expand on the first issue, some people, strange as it may seem, play shooters with trackpads, which in most cases also have nothing along the lines of mousewheels.

Despite these issues, I actually kind of like the idea.
Assuming the devs are far too busy going back and forth between arena tournaments, bugfixing, and five-star* customer support, perhaps some happy snappy little mod-making man could give a try at making a toggleable hardcore trigger mode, in which the idea discussed above would be in effect?
That would be swell.

*Five out of four, obviously.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

At the first glance this seems interesting. I didn't even think about the fact that different mice have different wheels.
My issue is about how the mousewheel works: it scrolls in increments. On my mouse for example, it's really easy to scroll exactly one increment, which kind of takes away the point of this "fuzzy logic" approach, since scrolling just one increment (on some mice) is just as straightforward as clicking LMB. Maybe if I had to press and hold the middle mouse button at the same time? (scrolling the wheel while holding it down is a lot less precise). [EDIT:] this would also require more force, (again, depending on how hard it is to press the middle button on your mouse, on mine it's noticeably harder) which would also help in immersion, since pulling the trigger should require some force from your finger. It would also make you get tired of playing the game sooner, though.
Glabbit wrote:not all mice have wheels.
Yes, accessibility is always an issue, but do you honestly think anybody plays games with a mouse like that? it's a pretty reasonable investment (just like having a controller if you play a console game). But any function like this should be toggleable anyways.
Glabbit wrote:some people, strange as it may seem, play shooters with trackpads
:shock: I.. I guess people are.. all different..
Glabbit wrote:perhaps some happy snappy little mod-making man could give a try at making a toggleable hardcore trigger mode, in which the idea discussed above would be in effect?
I agree that this would be the way to go.

NavyCuda

Post by NavyCuda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 pm

If anything, the only thing I could see is a slight decrease in accuracy and a tendency for the firearm to pull to the right(or left if you're left handed) when discharging with a double action pull.

It is worth pointing out that on firearms that are DAO(Double Action Only) that if you train enough with it you can shoot well with the DAO trigger.

BlackBluRR

Post by BlackBluRR » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:53 am

How would you differentiate between one long mouse wheel spin, and several short rapid ones? Might result in some misfire situations that are unwarranted.