1911 Mechanical errors

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
NavyCuda

1911 Mechanical errors

Post by NavyCuda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 am

I did a little bit of reading but have not seen any posts that have covered the errors in the mechanics of the 1911.

Over the next couple of days I'll try and document the errors that I find.

Thumb Safety:

On the 1911, the thumb safety can only be engaged when the slide is all the way forward and the hammer is cocked.

The thumb safety cannot be operated when the slide is locked back, or if the hammer is down or decocked.

When the thumb safety is engaged it is pushed up into a triangler cutout in the slide. This prevents the slide from being pulled back while the thumb safety is engaged.

Slide Lock/Slide Release

In game, if you start off fresh and the slide is locked back if you remove the magazine and then allow the slide to close and then press check it it will have a cartridge in the chamber which should be impossible if the magazine is removed.

Press Check

Occasionally when you start the hammer will be decocked on a cartridge in the chamber. When you perform the press check the hammer still stays decocked. In game the press check shows the projectile at the end of the case, however when I press check my 1911 I only have to expose the length of the case and not the projectile to reset the hammer. This means that the press check in game should cock the hammer.

NavyCuda

Re: 1911 Mechanical errors

Post by NavyCuda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Ejection Port

The ejection port should extend to within 6mm(1/4") from the left side of the frame.

Magazines

Magazines in game appear elongated, with too much room on either side of the cartridge. The cartridge should be pushed up tight against the back wall of the magazine. There is less than 4mm of clearance between the front arc of the magazine and the projectile. The distance varies according to the loading of the cartridge. Projectiles can have varying shapes, however it seems likely that the m1911 modeled in game would be firing 230grain full metal jacket .45 ACP, otherwise known as .45acp Ball. Clearance to the front of the magazine is ~2mm.

Slide Travel

The slide travel is ~65mm from battery to fully pulled back. Slide locked is ~62mm. The other point worth noting is that the barrel starts to cam down immediately and is fully camed down in ~5mm. The slide travel extends beyond the visible area of the barrel hood, so in the animation the barrel should disappear slightly under the slide.

Other model flaws

The frame slide and ejector are incorrectly modeled. Eventually I will get around to posting some comparative pictures.

LazyAmerican

Post by LazyAmerican » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 am

maybe there are errors....but for us mortals who live in crap states where shooting irl requires way too much bs this is still very impressive.

NavyCuda

Post by NavyCuda » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:16 am

LazyAmerican wrote:maybe there are errors....but for us mortals who live in crap states where shooting irl requires way too much bs this is still very impressive.
I agree it is quite impressive! I really enjoy Receiver for the way it simulates the operation of the 1911. I hope that I can use my personal experience to help improve the quality of the model. The closer it is to real life the more it can be used to learn the theory of operation for the 1911.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am

NavyCuda wrote:triangler cutout in the slide. This prevents the slide from being pulled back while the thumb safety is engaged.
Oh god, ruuuuuuuuun!
I did not mean in any way to disrespect you, but I really have nothing to contribute as I have little experience with firearms.