Bringing Receiver gun mechanics to the Source Engine

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
zastels

Bringing Receiver gun mechanics to the Source Engine

Post by zastels » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello, I'm a very experience Source map maker, however I lack programming skills and I'm going to try and fix that by creating a simple Source mod. I absolutely love Receiver and it's gun mechanics, I thought it would be a lot of fun to bring it to Source because it already has Bot/AI support and I can make maps for it.

I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in pursuing this with me, especially someone with some programming know how, who also would be willing to help me learn some programming skills (I could return the favour and teach level design). I am really good with map making, scripting AI, and all around in general using the Source engine. I figure we can just use game assets of Global Offensive, I'd like to try and make a shotgun and a rifle work with Receiver gun mechanics. and that's it, nothing fancier than that.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to rip anyone's intellectual property off, or profit, I just think this would be SICK! If you could layer these advanced gun mechanics into a game like Global Offensive, I think a lot of players would enjoy trying it.

Here is a link to my Steam community profile if you wish to add me to Steam, or browse my screenshots (All my screenshots are maps I work on.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zastels/screenshots/

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Bringing Receiver gun mechanics to the Source Engine

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm

-- Moved to the Receiver Forum for more exposure --

I think it would be cool to get this mechanic into the Source engine, but I know nothing about it... if you do the projects, let us know how it goes.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 am

This sounds awesome and I wish I had some knowledge that could be of use to you in this project. I know some basic programming but that's it. I wouldn't be able to begin working on a project like this. :P

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Hah. For some reason I kept thinking of playing Trouble in Terrorist Town with Receiver gun mechanics.
I would love a mod like this for the source engine, combined with multiplayer OR coop.
This is a GREAT idea! Especially to try out the gun mechanics with more weaponry, for example, a bolt-action Artic Warfare Police edition Sniper Rifle!
Ah... Sniping people while pulling back the bolt manually and putting in a round manually, would be AWESOME. Hectic, but AWESOME!
Receiver Deathmatch: Source, anyone?

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Riverkiller wrote:Receiver Deathmatch: Source, anyone?
Hell to da fuck yes!

iLag

Post by iLag » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 pm

I don't know how far you've gotten, but it may be a better idea to use Garry's Mod as the foundation, having Receiver mode work as a custom gamemode within Garry's Mod.

Reasons:
Same Engine: Existing maps will work, though not with the CS:GO Materials.
Coding difficulty: Lua code is easier than C, and means no compiling.
Native Linux Support: CS:GO is not native Linux right now, but Garry's Mod is [or at least the Linux port is in public beta. I need to check.].
Price: Garry's Mod is cheaper than CS:GO
Workshop: The Receiver mod can be uploaded to the Steam Workshop for easy redistribution.
Also, I may just help out the project. I can try to help code, and I also have access to a server box and can host a Garry's Mod server dedicated to the Receiver mod.

Another reason to use Garry's Mod is that somebody has already made a "Very Basic Team DeathMatch" mode, and the addon is licensed CC-BY-NC-SA, which means we can reuse their code and only need to worry about getting the weapons right to have a functional Receiver Team Deathmatch gamemode.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:18 pm

iLag wrote:stuff
I can't really contribute much to that, but I can say hell yes. Go for it. I like the ideas. :P