[IDEA] Hand Mirror (for checking corners)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
BlackBluRR

[IDEA] Hand Mirror (for checking corners)

Post by BlackBluRR » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I feel like there needs to be a more intelligent way to check corners, rather than just stepping out then back in. I've read some suggestions for a lean feature which could work, but might make the game too easy. My idea was to have a new item for your off hand, the hand mirror. You could peak it around corners and get a limited view of a given area depending on how you aim it. If your not careful with it you might still pull aggro and get shot. If the mirror is shot, it shatters and you lose it. This would keep the game challenging, as well as make you consciously choose whether or not to have a flash light . You now have to make the decision, do I want my view to be well lit?, or extended past walls? What do you guys think? I posted this in the "Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build", but I feel like it merited its own thread, hope that's not a problem.

Riverkiller

Re: [IDEA] Hand Mirror (for checking corners)

Post by Riverkiller » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I personally think this is not needed. One of the fun things about Receiver, is not knowing what is going to be around the corner. I also think that this wouldn't be something that Wolfire would create, and with good reason (It may be hard to get the mirror to work properly, and they are currently working on Overgrowth.) However, it also doesn't seem too far out of reach, and this could be implemented into a mod.
I do think that it would be more reasonable (they'd be better off not implementing it. It's like that for a reason. For the challenge of it.) for the lean to be implemented, which would be a pretty neat idea, so long as you could still get shot while leaning.
As you can tell by the world geometry, it is a very bland and simple world, and a hand mirror has no place.
Last edited by Riverkiller on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Riverkiller wrote:NO HAND MIRRORS, HURR DURR
Yeah, a mirror would be completely out of place, and like he said it would take time and effort better spent on OG. I like the idea of actually having to fully expose myself to see around the corner. It makes every turn risky and tense. And that's the point.

BlackBluRR

Post by BlackBluRR » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:50 am

My idea wasn't for you to be completely invincible while using the mirror, just less likely to get hit/detected because of the smaller hit box. Leaning and being able to aim would be too easy. At least with the mirror you'd still have to fully expose yourself to shoot. All you get with the mirror is a sneak peak at a small portion of what's around the corner in that moment. I really don't think its game breaking honestly. Especially if its got a limited use ( Getting shot out of your hand). I'd basically save it for those times when there is a taserbot lurking right outside the door, and I'm not sure exactly where. I feel like there's a place for it.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:43 pm

BlackBluRR wrote:I really don't think its game breaking honestly. feel like there's a place for it.
We did not say/mean that it was 'game breaking', we suggested that it was more complex than the simplistic design of receiver.
I'm saying that, if you take a look at the world of Receiver, it is simple and not graphically intensive, and so a hand mirror would not fit. That isn't for this game, I also didn't say that the lean idea was great, but that it was more reasonable. Imagine how the hand mirror would stand out, or better yet, don't, because it is a very bland and simple world, and a hand mirror has no place.
It isn't meant to be a fleshed out tactical shooter, but a game with nice realistic gun mechanics.
Last edited by Riverkiller on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackBluRR

Post by BlackBluRR » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm

A reflection of the graphics that are already in Receiver, is somehow more graphically complex than the graphics it is a reflection of? Sorry you lost me.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 am

'Tis true, I worded that poorly.
I just think that it doesn't have a place in Receiver, and if anything, the lean would.
The Receiver you play as is not Mr./Mrs. Smith (there is a scene in which Brad Pitt, who plays Mr. Smith, takes a hand mirror to check a corner. He also happens to be a secret agent, who is married to another agent, Angelina Jolie.)
Okay, make it a mod. Just a mod. Not an actual update, that'd make you OP and take away from the experience.

BlackBluRR

Post by BlackBluRR » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Oh, Brad Pitt did it in a movie?! Why didn't you say so in the first place. I take it all back, hand mirrors OP. Also I believe he shot a pistol in that movie too, better go ahead and remove that feature as well. He also hid behind cover, ran and or walked, reloaded his gun. Better just make the game a black screen lest we all become Brad Pitt/overpowered.

So being able to shoot from the safety cover is less overpowered in your opinion than just being able to see around corners momentarily. I really don't get it. Your reasoning refutes your own preferences in this situation. It seems you have a very specific idea of what YOU want the game to be, not necessarily what fits and doesn't fit.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm

BlackBluRR wrote:Oh, Brad Pitt did it in a movie?! Why didn't you say so in the first place. I take it all back, hand mirrors OP. Also I believe he shot a pistol in that movie too, better go ahead and remove that feature as well. He also hid behind cover, ran and or walked, reloaded his gun. Better just make the game a black screen lest we all become Brad Pitt/overpowered.

So being able to shoot from the safety cover is less overpowered in your opinion than just being able to see around corners momentarily. I really don't get it. Your reasoning refutes your own preferences in this situation. It seems you have a very specific idea of what YOU want the game to be, not necessarily what fits and doesn't fit.
Seems you're starting to get more personal here, rather than simply discussing the idea of hand mirrors in Receiver.
Try not to do that.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm going to say it again.
Scratch both the ideas, they don't fit in receiver and/or take away from the gameplay factor of where you don't know what's around the corner.
You know what, you win. You win.
Your idea to totally disregard the risk factor in checking the next room, is great.
Your idea to be able to basically see while hiding behind a wall, is the most intricate and well thought out idea ever.
I am not trying to be a douche, it's just at this point I could care less.
Hopefully neither of these ideas are implemented.
Have a great day, BlackBluRR, I have no beef with you, just this idea conflicts with the game.
I hope you have fun with your hand mirrors and leaning hand mirrors so that you can assess the situation and know where to play your shots and be COMPLETELY safe while doing so.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:I like the idea of actually having to fully expose myself to see around the corner. It makes every turn risky and tense. And that's the point.
It is not only I who makes sense.
AND, what's more, is I have to repeat myself YET AGAIN.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 am

BlackBluRR wrote:Oh, Brad Pitt did it in a movie?! Better just make the game a black screen lest we all become Brad Pitt
OH MY GOD! THAT WAS PURE GOLD! How did I not see that last go around?! That genuinely made me laugh.

BlackBluRR

Post by BlackBluRR » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:45 am

Riverkiller wrote: You know what, you win. You win.
Wait we were competing?! I feel cheated!
Riverkiller wrote: I hope you have fun with your hand mirrors and leaning hand mirrors so that you can assess the situation and know where to play your shots and be COMPLETELY safe while doing so.
BlackBluRR wrote:If your not careful with it you might still pull aggro and get shot. If the mirror is shot, it shatters and you lose it.
I meant that first part as to imply that you die.

Also stepping out and back around the corner is more or less completely safe as it is now. The mirror wouldn't offer you a safer way to do this, just a less hurky jerky one in my opinion. Really I just want to avoid awkwardly hopscotching my way around every blind corner as I play the game. It just breaks the momentum for me, brings the game to a grinding halt, every corner.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 am

BlackBluRR wrote:Also stepping out and back around the corner is more or less completely safe as it is now.
You have obviously never played Receiver for more than 10 minutes.
When stepping around a corner long enough to take in solid information, you can be targeted and followed, shot multiple times, or shocked. It is most certainly not safe in any way.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

BlackBluRR wrote: Also stepping out and back around the corner is more or less completely safe as it is now. The mirror wouldn't offer you a safer way to do this, just a less hurky jerky one in my opinion. Really I just want to avoid awkwardly hopscotching my way around every blind corner as I play the game. It just breaks the momentum for me, brings the game to a grinding halt, every corner.
BlackBluRR wrote: brings the game to a grinding halt, every corner.
I tend to go in, checking that every side and below me is more or less safe, picking off enemies from outside the doorstep.
Whenever I see too many enemies than what I feel like dispatching, I tend to attempt going to the other side of where I spawned, so you see, it never brings my game to a grinding halt because for me, it's part of the gameplay(the tactical assessment part).
I never really feel like Receiver is too slow, because I feel that the game is not about running and gunning.
The only time I ever 'awkwardly hopscotch' my way around a corner is if there is a turret and I need to make a quick escape before I am shot.
All this talk of Receiver and I'm getting hungry for it.

[+] Dramatized gameplay
The moment was tense, having collected only three tapes, I was anxious to get my hands on another.
I quickly sped into the next room, not expecting the slew of turrets, and I then took cover as I was fired upon by two turrets.
I took out the first turret whilst attempting to exit, and I headed back to scavenge ammunition.
I finally found some, and returned to the other side of the room, where I could see the turret clearly.
The first two turrets were being watched over by yet another turret in a corner.
In the corridors to the right of each turret, there was another turret.
I was assessing the situation, thinking quickly of how to pick off the turrets without getting shot myself.
Switching to a nearby wall, I exchanged fire with a turret, and one of my bullets punctured it's motor, rendering it inoperable.
I knew where the third turret was and I quickly dispatched it with ease.
Heading in to the nearby corridors, I was spotted and immediately ran into the next hallway, which also contained not only one turret, but two.
dashing back to the wall separating the hallways, I found my ammunition was quickly depleted from exchanging fire with the turrets on my way to a safe piece of cover.
I decided to take out the lone turret in the first corridor and it was protecting a cassette and much-needed ammunition for my Glock.
I took the turrets out with precise shots from behind and found another tape. My tape count was now five.
Approaching the door, I picked up a cassette and some ammunition.
I had made a mistake.
I chose to refill my magazine and it cost me.
Upon turning to face the door, I was shot twice in the leg, but not before I could fire off some rounds of my own, which in turn disabled the turret.
I fell to the floor, the rush of pain was immense, I let go of my firearm and clutched my leg.
I took off the harness I was wearing, and used it to try and stop the bloodflow.
I was not successful, and I could feel it.
Soon, there was a pool of blood surrounding my cold and life-less body.