Modeling help for a map

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
oux0f

Modeling help for a map

Post by oux0f » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 am

Ok so I'm looking to make a new map for receiver. For this I'm not looking for negative comments I just need help and I have some questions. If you like this though you are allowed to comment.

-What program do I use for modeling?
-What is the process for moving a map into the game?
-Is there anything else I need to know?
-Is this really a good idea?

So there you have it. If you have questions those are allowed unless they imply that I stole a barometer.

Enemby

Re: Modeling help for a map

Post by Enemby » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

1. You can use any program that can export to file extensions Unity supports, e.g: 3ds, obj, etc.

2.Model the map, import it into the game(via the source/Unity) then fill it with light/item spawns as children(meaning a child of the parent object, meaning, your model.) then you add it into the level tile list in the 'main' scene, under the level object in that scene.

3. If the models don't match up, the maps won't work together very well at all, maybe even having them clipping into eachother. Additionally, the maps will only generate across on the z axis, so don't plan having an exit into each direction.

If you don't already have the source+Unity, you will need both of those to do this.

Additionally, if you don't have any programming experience this could be difficult for you.

4.Adding a level is pretty simple(as far as a 7dfps game goes) so you shouldn't have any trouble. :)

oux0f

Re: Modeling help for a map

Post by oux0f » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Enemby wrote:1. You can use any program that can export to file extensions Unity supports, e.g: 3ds, obj, etc.

2.Model the map, import it into the game(via the source/Unity) then fill it with light/item spawns as children(meaning a child of the parent object, meaning, your model.) then you add it into the level tile list in the 'main' scene, under the level object in that scene.

3. If the models don't match up, the maps won't work together very well at all, maybe even having them clipping into eachother. Additionally, the maps will only generate across on the z axis, so don't plan having an exit into each direction.

If you don't already have the source+Unity, you will need both of those to do this.

Additionally, if you don't have any programming experience this could be difficult for you.

4.Adding a level is pretty simple(as far as a 7dfps game goes) so you shouldn't have any trouble. :)
Thanks! I can definitely do this.