Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Nov. 16th

Post by Constance » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:11 am

Imagine losing your magazine, and the only way to load your gun is that.

ArgenGuy

Post by ArgenGuy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:09 am

Regarding chamber-loading on semiautomatic pistols without the aid of a magazine, while it's not the best of ideas, specially on old handguns, you can do that in case of an emergency. If the pistol has an internal extractor, like for example, the 1911, you have to drop the slide close, but some say that it can wear down the extractor claw, whereas with a pistol with an external extractor (Glock, TT33) you can close the slide gently and silently without the extractor failing to latch intoy the rim of the cartridge.

Groenendael72

Post by Groenendael72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Sounds great

When will it work on linux?

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Groenendael72 wrote:Sounds great

When will it work on linux?
Hmm... I don't have Linux so I never got around to it, but I made a build and the file structure seems to be the same, so I'll see if I can just exclude the same files as the Windows version and hopefully it will work. As for when, I'll put it up with the next update which will be in the next few days. Be warned it might not work though, I can't test it.

saladofstones

Post by saladofstones » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:04 am

Josh707 wrote:
anAngryHamster wrote:The bolt-action rifle looks good so far. With such a slow rate of fire it doesn't leave much room for error but it's an enjoyable addition.
Yeah, not really effective for robots but it is fun to use!
The lee-enfield, if its available, might be a good solution. Being able to have 5 rounds, or two stripper clips, is greatly helpful.

As far as freely available models, you probably know this, but the developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. made all of their models freely available for use. They have some problems, like being incorrectly mirrored and I doubt they have detailed internal mechanics, but it would allow you to add a lot of pact weapons that don't see use, like the groza.

I think having something like the an-94 or the as-van would be interesting, especially with the as-val's built in silencer and high bullet drop.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 am

saladofstones wrote:The lee-enfield, if its available, might be a good solution. Being able to have 5 rounds, or two stripper clips, is greatly helpful.

As far as freely available models, you probably know this, but the developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. made all of their models freely available for use. They have some problems, like being incorrectly mirrored and I doubt they have detailed internal mechanics, but it would allow you to add a lot of pact weapons that don't see use, like the groza.

I think having something like the an-94 or the as-van would be interesting, especially with the as-val's built in silencer and high bullet drop.
There's a whole bunch of really good models in RO2/Rising Storm that I plan on using, I don't know about the enfield but there's a decent selection I can choose from.
I didn't know that about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. models, that's pretty cool! I'll definitely check that out, there are some pretty neat weapons in that game. Modeling the internal parts is a lot easier than the gun itself, so that shouldn't be a problem. I had to change around the inside of the Thompson model a bit but the ones from RO2 are really well made.

Hibbey

Post by Hibbey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi :)

I'm really enjoying your weapons mod and I would really like to help, unfortunately i haven't got too much experiences with scripting and unity itself, however i have some knowledge about 3d modeling, so I tried my best with a desert eagle (file attached) hope the way i did this is actually useful

here is what i did:

Attachments
desert eagle.rar
(35.56 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by Hibbey on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St._HAPPYFACES

Post by St._HAPPYFACES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Funny that my first forum post here would be on a mod, considering I have absolutely no experience in anything ever. Heh.

Anyways, the first thing I thought of when you said you would like to add a semi-auto rifle was "FN FAL". It seems like a good addition, and fits within the theme. Just thought I'd give you an idea, have fun!

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Hibbey wrote:Hi :)

I'm really enjoying your weapons mod and I would really like to help, unfortunately i haven't got too much experiences with scripting and unity itself, however i have some knowledge about 3d modeling, so I tried my best with a desert eagle (file attached) hope the way i did this is actually useful

here is what i did:

Oh awesome! That's not half bad, it's not the best model but it's not bad either! I'll check it out in Blender in a little bit and see if I can use it :P I found a Desert Eagle model already but it's got a little too many vertices for a game, so this should be good.
St._HAPPYFACES wrote:Funny that my first forum post here would be on a mod, considering I have absolutely no experience in anything ever. Heh.

Anyways, the first thing I thought of when you said you would like to add a semi-auto rifle was "FN FAL". It seems like a good addition, and fits within the theme. Just thought I'd give you an idea, have fun!
Hehe yeah, the FAL would be a nice rifle to use but I'm not sure if there's any models on the internet I could use, maybe it's in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I can't remember. The semi-auto rifles I have available are the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Gewehr 41/43 and SVT-40/AVT-40 variant (although it's capable of full-auto), so you can expect some of those in the future. However if you know of any models that are available feel free to let me know and I can try to add them!

St._HAPPYFACES

Post by St._HAPPYFACES » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Actually, maybe the Gewehr would be nice. Adds a little German flair, no? I'll keep a look out for a possible FN FAL model though.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 am

Josh707 wrote:
anAngryHamster wrote:The first is the Cop Derringer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COP_357_Derringer
[+] Derringer
A simple break-open 4-shot pistol chambered for .357 rounds. If that isn't interesting enough it could be loaded with Quad custom ammo.
[+] Quad Custom
Bullets lined end-to-end seem silly but each projectile generally doesn't stray far from the projected path of a normal bullet. Four shots of four bullets doesn't seem like a bad deal, no?
That's actually really cool, I knew of that gun before but nothing of that custom ammo. It'd be simple to fire 4 bullets but I think that'd just be overkill unless I make them really light, otherwise they'd send a drone flying away. I'd really enjoy something like that in Receiver though, really good suggestion.
You can actually load revolvers with the same sort of ammo.

Generally, the bullets would be wadcutters (these have the same general shape of a tuna can...just much smaller, of course). People have loaded anywhere from 2 to 4 of these into a single .38 Special casing.

Advantages, of course, are that each round puts more rounds in the air. Disadvantages are that each round is smaller than a normal round and with a given powder charge, they may be going slower and since KE = (1/2) m * v^2, this results in less smash going into the target.

ArgenGuy

Post by ArgenGuy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:51 am

The M1 Garand would be interest, mostly for its quirky en-bloc clip system. As most of you know, the Garand fires from an 8 round en-bloc clip inserted in its magazine, it can't be manually extracted until the last round is ejected. Once ejected, the bolt is held open by the magazine follower, it can be manually closed by simply racking the cocking handle like you normally do with pistols, you have to press down the follower and then push the cocking handle and let it go.
To load it you insert a loaded clip and then slap the cocking handle to chamber the first round or, you can also chamber-load and use it as a single-shot rifle if the clip is missing.
So controls-wise wise would be something like this:

R: to pull the cocking handle. If there's no clip inserted, the bolt will lock open.
T: to push/slaps the cocking handle. If there's no clip inserted, we assume that our character depresses the follower so the bolt can be released.
T+P: Performs a brass check.
Z: Manual chamber-loading. This canonly be able to be performed if the bolt is locked open and there's no clip inserted.
V: turns the safety on/off.

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:19 pm

The Garand can be reloaded before the clip is empty, but it isn't easy, so most games don't bother. If you pull the oprod handle while pressing on the clip latch (the button on the left side of the receiver), it will eject the clip and all remaining rounds. It's a bit awkward, cause generally you want to catch the clip instead of letting it fall on the ground, so you have to either twist your left hand to both catch the clip and press the clip latch, or you need to pull the oprod handle with the heel of your right hand so you can catch the clip in your right palm.

Also, a Garand that's in good condition that's been properly lubricated will often have the bolt close as soon as you load the clip and release downward pressure. You wouldn't be wrong in saying that a hit to the oprod handle isn't necessary on most Garands you'll see today though. :)

ArgenGuy

Post by ArgenGuy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:51 pm

UNHchabo wrote:The Garand can be reloaded before the clip is empty, but it isn't easy, so most games don't bother. If you pull the oprod handle while pressing on the clip latch (the button on the left side of the receiver), it will eject the clip and all remaining rounds. It's a bit awkward, cause generally you want to catch the clip instead of letting it fall on the ground, so you have to either twist your left hand to both catch the clip and press the clip latch, or you need to pull the oprod handle with the heel of your right hand so you can catch the clip in your right palm.

Also, a Garand that's in good condition that's been properly lubricated will often have the bolt close as soon as you load the clip and release downward pressure. You wouldn't be wrong in saying that a hit to the oprod handle isn't necessary on most Garands you'll see today though. :)
The so called Garand thumb. Actually I believed that the Garand thumb was caused because the bolt is no locked back properly, or rather is barely locked back, and to prevent that you have pull the oprod handle properly and you will notice that it has an extra backwards travel, only then is locked back properly and won't snap in your thumb when releasing the downward pressure on the clip.
I believe in CoD: World at War, the Garand has the manual clip release function when you perform a half empty reload, but the character doesn't do anything to catch the half-empty clip.
In receiver, that could be asigned to the V key, but it would probably be a bother.

An SKS carbine, on the other hand, it would be a cool feature to have, and more simpler to implement, the ability to unload the magazine by opening the floorplate that is. That function could be asigned for the V key. It could be either like in the revolver's ejector rod (ergo, press and hold V to open the hatch and release the key to close it) or a toggle type (press V to open, press it again to close it). I'm more partial towards the toggle type, but any of the two should work well

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 pm

ArgenGuy wrote:The so called Garand thumb. Actually I believed that the Garand thumb was caused because the bolt is no locked back properly, or rather is barely locked back, and to prevent that you have pull the oprod handle properly and you will notice that it has an extra backwards travel, only then is locked back properly and won't snap in your thumb when releasing the downward pressure on the clip.
Here's an informative article on M1 Thumb. If the bolt is riding on the follower instead of locked back, I'm not sure you can load a clip, cause I don't think there's enough room. Then when loading, your thumb never gets deep enough inside the action to be in any real danger, unlike if it's unloaded and you push the follower down, and then accidentally bump the oprod.