Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Josh707

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Oct. 12th (Download available

Post by Josh707 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:09 am

azzwort wrote:-snip-
Thanks for the feedback and info! That's cool that you made an account specifically for this. The TT-33 model was pretty much done after putting up the download, but I've fixed up the slide quite a bit, the back where the hammer rests was quite a mess and you can't see through it when you holster it with the slide back anymore. For the Thompson, I was going for the M1A1 I read about on Wikipedia, hehe. I'm aware of the open bolt but I just wanted to make the Thompson able to fire before releasing the download, I might as well have held off adding to the release but it's too late now. I'm gonna try to get it as close to the real thing as possible, you can't really see it but the model does have the fire selector on the left side, I'm not sure but do you know if it has a safe position too?

For the flashlight I was planning on completely disabling it while holding the gun like with the 870, I'm sure you could fit it between a few fingers and still support the gun but it just doesn't look right to me with invisible arms. I'm not really sure how I could replace it, the 870 could have a flashlight mounted underneath but the Thompson doesn't really have room for one of those rails. If you really want to use it I can try to figure something out for you, though.

I never thought twice about loading the 870, but that is a good point. I originally thought you should just raise it so you can see what you're doing and because of the way the loose bullets pop up and hide at the top of the screen. I think allowing you to insert a round at any time would make it a little too "good", I've made it prevent rounds from inserting if there's one chambered and the slide is back, but I can imagine people would spam the insert button while shooting at drones and keep it fully loaded all the time. I can make a compromise between the two though. Do you think instead of raising it like it is now, just tilting it a little bit so that you can still aim would be better? Or maybe inserting rounds could be a lot slower if it's not raised? I'm not really sure what I should do.

anAngryHamster

Post by anAngryHamster » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 pm

The mod works like a charm. All the new and old guns are functioning right and I'm having a blast with them. I was wary about using a full blown sub-machine gun but the trigger discipline required for the Thompson is not so easily learned. The Tokarev and Remington also deserve their spots and add variety without feeling superfluous.

As for loading the Remington, disallow players from loading rounds and pumping at the same time since those actions would be performed by the same hand. Maybe even prevent loading and shooting as the recoil would be ridiculous with one hand. This next part is just hypothesis but could trying to perform those actions in real life cause a jam? If you could program a firearm jam and the action to clear it you could create a risk-reward system for the shotgun. Maintaining a rhythm of fire/pump/load would present an interesting challenge to shotgun users.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 pm

anAngryHamster wrote:-snip-
Glad to hear you like it! I wasn't sure if people would like the weapons I chose but that's good to hear. I wasn't sure about adding the Thompson, but it is definitely a good weapon. Sometimes the only way to stop that one stubborn drone speeding straight at you is to put a small burst into it.

I've been working on changing that up a little for the 870 but I didn't give it much thought yet. That makes sense though and gave me some ideas so you can still do that direct chamber loading technique with the slide back. I think it would make sense to still allow the player to pull the slide back, insert a round and chamber it when pushing the slide forward, but if there's one chambered don't let them manipulate the slide (although this could be a little confusing for some people). Or maybe have a delay between those two actions? Either way, I want that ability to stay in the game as it is really useful if you're scrambling to load your gun while a drone or turret is about to kill you.

The jamming idea is one I've been thinking about for a long time. Most jams (that I'm aware of) that aren't due to parts sticking or breaking is the casing not making it out of the chamber before the slide comes back and so it gets caught. This would have to be a very rare occurrence, the only time I've ever had a (rifle) jam is using a .22 long rounds instead of .22 long rifle in a rifle meant for .22lr, as they're not quite strong enough to fully push the bolt back. But this would be great for the 870, I mean right now you can pull the pump super fast without even going fully back and it will still chamber a round. I'm not sure if it would be worth implementing for other weapons, but for the 870 yes. I'm going to have to think about those for a while before trying to make it, though.

WTRXGamer

Post by WTRXGamer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LazyAmerican

Post by LazyAmerican » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Fantastic weapons! Any chance we'll see some kind of modern AR platform added at a later date??

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:44 pm

LazyAmerican wrote:Fantastic weapons! Any chance we'll see some kind of modern AR platform added at a later date??
Thanks! There's a good chance, I'm not sure what to add next but nothing too extreme, although there might be a few put in just for fun

WTRXGamer

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Oct. 21st

Post by WTRXGamer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:23 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

WTRXGamer

Post by WTRXGamer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:46 am

WTRXGamer wrote:I would like to see some sort of bolt action rifle in the future with the ability to load a bullet directly in the chamber. Any chance that would happen?
There's a chance, it's not too big but it's there! It would take a little bit of work to get the bolt to rotate before moving back but it would certainly be fun to use. I'm going to give it a try eventually but I'm not certain if I'll be able to do it.
WTRXGamer wrote:Could you please post your Unity Project file? I would like to put some of my own maps in place of the shooting range, just to mess around in them. Thanks!
For sure! I'm just about to go to bed and it will take like 30 minutes to upload somewhere, so I'll send you a PM with it tomorrow at some point.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Well apparently I'm "not authorized" to send PMs, but that doesn't matter. It's around 700mb compressed in a .rar so it will take at least an hour to upload, I'll post it whenever it's done.

Edit: Here you go!

Oh damn, Mediafire added captcha just today... Well that's pretty lame.

WTRXGamer

Post by WTRXGamer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:40 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:47 pm

No problem! :)

saladofstones

Post by saladofstones » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:06 pm

There's a chance, it's not too big but it's there! It would take a little bit of work to get the bolt to rotate before moving back but it would certainly be fun to use. I'm going to give it a try eventually but I'm not certain if I'll be able to do it.
You could add in a straight-pull bolt. The m1895 Lee Navy is one example of a natural straight-pull action.

It'd be cool if somehow you could use mouse movement to operate the bolt, though.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:28 pm

saladofstones wrote:
You could add in a straight-pull bolt. The m1895 Lee Navy is one example of a natural straight-pull action.

It'd be cool if somehow you could use mouse movement to operate the bolt, though.
You know that's a really good idea, I think I'm gonna try to find a straight pull bolt rifle that looks good, rifles are a lot simpler to model than handguns. I'm gonna make a crappy prototype and try to get the bolt to rotate though, that would be really fun to use.

I don't know about the mouse movement though, I've never done anything like with Unity before. I'm thinking it would be easiest to have the slide pull button rotate the bolt and pull it back, then releasing it will push it forward and rotate it back into place. Or have the rotation on a separate button. But I don't think I'd be able to get mouse movement into it, sadly.

jackthearcher

Post by jackthearcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 pm

This stuff looks really awesome but when I extract it into the folder I get a "Could not preload global game manager #0" error. What am I doing wrong?