Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Weapon Addition Thread - Updated Sept. 27

Post by Constance » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Holy crap that's detailed.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Timbles wrote:Holy crap that's detailed.
What is? :P

Post by 8492 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am

that looks fantastic! just out of curiosity, is it a separate key press for the different actions of the pump? like to load the next shell would i have to press "r" to eject the spent cartridge and then "t" to chamber the new shell? i don't know a great deal about shotguns so i apologize if that doesn't make sense. lastly, might i suggest a breach-loading double barreled shotgun if you have the time? something along the lines of what english aristocrats would use to hunt ducks. i think it'd be cool as the reloading process would be unique from all the others and there would be a tradeoff of high damage/spread but low ammo capacity/long(ish) reloads. anyway, great work!

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:17 pm

8492 wrote:that looks fantastic! just out of curiosity, is it a separate key press for the different actions of the pump? like to load the next shell would i have to press "r" to eject the spent cartridge and then "t" to chamber the new shell? i don't know a great deal about shotguns so i apologize if that doesn't make sense. lastly, might i suggest a breach-loading double barreled shotgun if you have the time? something along the lines of what english aristocrats would use to hunt ducks. i think it'd be cool as the reloading process would be unique from all the others and there would be a tradeoff of high damage/spread but low ammo capacity/long(ish) reloads. anyway, great work!
Thanks, it's almost identical to the Glock and 1911 in terms of buttons. Pressing R will pull the slide/pump back ejecting a round/casing, and releasing will push it forward chambering a new one, E toggles raising and lowering the shotgun (replaces mag release), and Z inserts a round while the shotgun is raised. I'm adding the ability to press-check like the other guns so you don't have to eject a round to see if there's one chambered, so that will be T+R like default. That's a good suggestion too, it wouldn't be too hard to make and I imagine it would be pretty fun to operate, I will keep that in mind for future additions, I'm gonna add something else before I do another shotgun.

iLag

Re: Weapon Addition Thread - Updated Oct. 4th (Mini-update)

Post by iLag » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Suggestion for your next weapon: Winchester 1892 or other lever-action rifle. Controls would be almost identical to the pump-action shotgun. I have a half-complete model of the 1892 saved somewhere on my computer I could finish up and contribute if you want.

Modern reproductions of pistol-caliber lever-action rifles tend to use magnum cartridges, usually .357 and .44 magnum. They can also use .38 special (when chambered in .357 Magnum) and .44 Special (when chambered in .44 Magnum). Because of the significantly longer barrel used by rifles, the pistol caliber cartridges hit far harder. A .44 Magnum fired from a rifle has more energy behind it than the 5.56x45mm round used by all NATO member countries. The .357 Magnum has only a little bit less than the 5.56x45mm when fired from a rifle. Either way, considering what the handguns do to the killdrones, magnum rounds fired from rifles should be far more effective, penetrating rather than ricocheting in most cases.

There are also rifle-caliber lever-action rifles (yes, I know it sounds redundant). .30-30 (about equivalent to the 7.62x39mm in ballistic performance) is the most common, followed by .45-70 (Same energy as .308 in a much more lethal large caliber bullet) and .35 Remington (between .30-30 and .308, with a higher caliber bullet) The blunt force of a .45-70 should be enough to momentarily destabilize a flying killdrone, if not completely wreck its frame, and possibly shattering the tripod legs of the turrets. .30-30 and .35 Remington should be able to penetrate right through the killdrone frames and sides of the turrets.

Josh707

Re: Weapon Addition Thread - Updated Oct. 4th (Mini-update)

Post by Josh707 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:27 pm

iLag wrote:-snip-
If you feel like finishing that model and sending it over I'd be willing to add it! That's another good suggestion though, I want to add a rifle next. I've got one or two bolt-action rifle models but I'm holding off trying to add them because I'm a little too lazy to script the rotation of the bolt right now, but I might in a bit. I'm not sure how different it would be to make the lever-action rotate but I'd be willing to try it as well.

Also good information about those different calibers, I don't know much about bullets and firearms except for how the most common action types operate. Those are some good ideas for changing how the damage works too, it would be pretty cool if you could take parts completely off of the robots if you hit like a thin/weak part of the structure with those larger calibers. Also, skimming the side of a robot and having your bullet ricochet off of it does the same amount of damage as hitting a flat surface head on, which doesn't make sense. I'm gonna mess around with the damage stuff later today, changing that may make it a lot more difficult though.

anAngryHamster

Re: Weapon Addition Thread - Updated Oct. 8th

Post by anAngryHamster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm

I hope this doesn't sound presumptuous but I have a weapon suggestive that I think would add some variety: the Mauser C96, one of the few notable examples of a clip loaded pistol. It's top loaded and uses 5 or 10 round clips but bullets can be inserted individually if necessary, albeit painfully slowly.

Josh707

Re: Weapon Addition Thread - Updated Oct. 8th

Post by Josh707 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:45 am

anAngryHamster wrote:I hope this doesn't sound presumptuous but I have a weapon suggestive that I think would add some variety: the Mauser C96, one of the few notable examples of a clip loaded pistol. It's top loaded and uses 5 or 10 round clips but bullets can be inserted individually if necessary, albeit painfully slowly.
Hehe that's my second favorite pistol in Red Orchestra 2 :P Anyways, that's yet another good suggestion. The first YouTube video I found completely shows how it looks, operates and loads so that wouldn't be a problem. The clip loading would test my programming skills a bit, I'd have to replace magazines with clips and then also replicate the shotguns internal magazine to load into, which the gun chambers from, but after writing it out it doesn't seem too difficult.

I don't have that modeled but honestly it looks pretty simply to make, it's like a big square with a few parts indented and then the hammer and stuff. That would really fun to operate and I will definitely consider modelling that soon, I'm going to quickly finish up the few other pistols that don't have the internals modeled and then I will try to make that! Oh and don't feel bad about making suggestions, I don't have many ideas.

Edit: Spelling and a preview of my favorite pistol of all time! The Soviet TT-33. This is probably the next weapon I am adding, it's a single action which means I have to do absolutely no programming!

Edit #2: Finally figured out how to fix some crappy lighting errors that Unity was causing. The models I've added are looking better than ever now!

WTRXGamer

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Oct. 12th

Post by WTRXGamer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 pm

WTRXGamer wrote:I know Wolfire hasn't responded to you yet, but why can't you post the download? You don't have to include the game, just the mod files, that way it's legal.
Wolfire released the source code, so there's bound to be modification; I don't see a reason why Wolfire'd reject a published mod for Receiver.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:34 pm

WTRXGamer wrote:I know Wolfire hasn't responded to you yet, but why can't you post the download? You don't have to include the game, just the mod files, that way it's legal.
Timbles wrote:Wolfire released the source code, so there's bound to be modification; I don't see a reason why Wolfire'd reject a published mod for Receiver.
That's a good point, the readme file on Github says "This repository is public for convenience and for personal use, but is not licensed for redistribution in whole or in part. We are open to issuing free permissive licenses for mods or code pieces, but you will just have to get our permission first" so I was a little confused.

I wasn't sure if you need permission for a built mod or just raw assets or code snippets, so I just wanted to make sure with them. Anyways, I'll put up a download in a little bit once I find all the files that don't need to be copied, and I can just take it down if Wolfire says so. I'm using a newer version of Unity so most of the files need to updated.

WTRXGamer

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Oct. 12th (Download available

Post by WTRXGamer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by WTRXGamer on Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Wow.
Just wow.
Good job on this, this is awesome.
Also.
YOU GET TO SEE THE FUCKING SUN!

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks! It's always nice to hear encouraging words. :D

azzwort

Post by azzwort » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 am

Made an account to give feedback:

First off, great weapon choices for the mod, and the tt-33 is modeled very well.

Thompson: I am aware this is work in progress, but in order to help you better model the firearm here are a few things I noticed:

1. The Thompson in the mod fires from a closed bolt, this is incorrect, all Thompson submachine guns with the exception of modern semi-auto replicas fire from an open bolt.

2. Based on the location of the charging handle on the weapon, this Thompson is most likely an M1 or an M1A1 variant. This means that the Thompson is a select-fire varient, IE capable of both semi-and fully-automatic fire.

3. The flashlight should be held much farther forward in on the grip, if this is a limitation of the engine, I understand, but this would increase the visibility of the sight perimeter.

Still, otherwise a great addition.

Now the 870:

Only one main problem with this, it seems to me that there is no reason other than engine limitations that one could not reload while aiming down the sights. This is actually a fairly common practice. This would be a great feature to add and wouldn't require any additional controls.

As previously statetd the TT33 is very good, is has the same problem the 1911 has in regards to once you insert a loaded magazine a round will stay on the feed ramp regardless of the magazine still being in the gun, but that's another story.

Good work overall, thank you for putting in the time and effort to do this, I would love more mods like this in the future.