Laggy In Reciever?

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
BloodiedSimper

Laggy In Reciever?

Post by BloodiedSimper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 pm

GPU : GT 620
Processor : i5 3450
Ram : 8 GB

I can run Overgrowth no problem, it's as smooth as a baby's ass...
Which overgrowth obviously has better graphics and you'd think it'd be more tough on PCs with it's
excellent animations and physics... But I can't play reciever even with lowest settings.. I get like 15 FPS at most on it whereas I get 50-60 FPS on average in overgrowth.

Count Roland

Re: Laggy In Reciever?

Post by Count Roland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 am

blame unity.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 am

I wouldn't say "blame Unity". Unity was written really well, just look at Kerbal Space Program, an entire universe that uses double precision floats and calculates accurate orbital physics, and it runs faster than Receiver for me.

The problem is the way Wolfire wrote some of the game (Keep in mind this was made is 7 damn days), every map tile has like a hundred dynamic lights that each have a script that update the mesh material, the light's shadows, color and pretty much every light value that can change, every single frame. Each robot is searching through the entire scene for the player every frame and instead of bullet objects moving throughout the gun they're constantly destroyed and instantiated again, same with muzzle flashes.

With the stuff I've been adding and working on I've optimized things quite a bit, using stuff from this thread as well as stuff I've found. When/if Wolfire allows me to share it with you guys there's a changelog that lists everything I've done, the stuff I've done so far has made it run a lot faster for me already.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 am

Are you a waiter? because I just got served.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:20 am

Hahaha I didn't mean for it to be that way