Reciever Story (Correct me)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Reciever Story (Correct me)

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:31 pm

THE STORY.

You play as a secret, brainwashed cultist (I know it sounds crazy) who has been brainwashed (among other Receivers), saying that the media has been "lowering your natural defenses". You then go through weapon training, and listening to the "clear tapes" multiple times, you are then either: put into, or forced into this dream world (more likely forced). (Receiver starts here) This is The Dream, apparently part of "Mindkill" (As Mindkill would not work on Receivers) something unleashed by either: A evil corporation, Aliens (I swear this was mentioned), or The Media (perhaps a brainwashing side effect?). In The Dream, Receivers are must find 11 tapes (each revealing, in a way opening, awaking the player to the effects of Mindkill, and how to escape The Dream, and maybe a tad bit more brainwashing) to "Awake".

OTHER PARTS?

The Receiver cult apparently believe in two reality's (???)

Reality A
and
Reality B

if I recall in Reality A, humans work in their "shadow bodies" (I really forget the rest)
in Reality B, humans can achieve "Awakeness" (???)

ALIENS THEROY

(From what I can detain) The Aliens apparently use the media to weaken The player's (or all humans) Natural Defenses (resistance to Mindkill) and then use a media based weapon, known as Mindkill. Knowing this will not work against Receivers they use a new weapon The Dream (this is where Receiver takes place).

The cult brainwashes the Receivers because, using the media the Aliens brainwash humans. So the cult brainwashes their soldiers too.

That's All I know...

AmorphousGamer

Re: Reciever Story (Correct me)

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Kuraru

Post by Kuraru » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 am

You've got Reality A and Reality B mixed up. Reality B is the world that Receiver takes place in - the physical world - whilst Reality A a dimension of the mind, where human minds "sleep" as they live in their bodies in Reality B. Reality A is also, as far as I understand it, where the source of all this information lies (the "Transmitter" that sends information to the "Receivers") as well as the Threat that seeks to destroy humanity.

The "aliens" (I believe they are only referred to as "the Threat") have been using their mindtech to weaken human minds through controlling their media in Reality B. Once they are weak enough, the Threat ends their existence in a single crippling blow - the Mindkill. This does not work on Receivers, who have reversed the effects of media damage on their minds. One tape mentions that they have another weapon to use on Receivers called "the Dreaming", which is a bridge between Reality A and Reality B, allowing the Threat to transport objects to Reality B - in this case they use it to transport automated weapons (killdrones) in order to kill the Receivers that survived the Mindkill. Not sure why they're okay with killing Receivers (which apparently would just result in their mind in Reality A waking up) when they specifically chose to Mindkill the rest of humanity, though. :)

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 pm

True,

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:35 am

Close. Not quite.

You play someone beginning to wake up, and take the fight against a shadowy group who wish to see conciousness cut, and power in their hands.
The shadowy group has been damaging and stupifying conciousness for some time, through the destruction of humanity's zeitgeist to draw their attention from being able to fight back.

However, the Receivers and their benefactors are too late, and mankind is to be inevitably snapped up by the Mindkill, leaving only time to prepare, not prevent. Tapes are left everywhere as dead drops, along with ammunition, magazines, and other things dreamed into existance by the benefactors, to allow humanity's survivors to resist and escape.

Cue the start of the game, likely a short while only after the mindkill, wherein the houses have been left abandonded as the 'bodies' the humans were inhabiting are 'undreamed' when their conciousness is cut. The shadowy group dreams in kill-bots after studying mankind through invasive and utter surveilance, painting a perfect picture of how to overcome their foes. The surviving receivers rush to find the dead-dropped tapes so that they make become 'awakened', and escape Reality B.

It's called an allegory.