[Idea] Horroreiver

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
UNHchabo

Re: [Idea] Horroreiver

Post by UNHchabo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Korban3 wrote:I'll have to confront the statement. It depends on weapon, mostly. When I was in combat training, my M16 would jam up pretty often during little firefights, enough to say that they do happen pretty often. The M16 is a pretty open system, lets a lot of dust in and has a lot of carbon buildup.
Yeah, I was thinking more for civilian defense; I'd say a clean AR sitting in your closet is very unlikely to have a malfunction in the course of a mag that can't be traced to either a broken mag or user error, and as you said, it's hard to model that type of user error in a game. Maybe you could change the "mag insert" mechanic to require mashing the insert key, so that you could model not fully seating the mag, allowing for a failure-to-feed. But that would be annoying.

I know my total round count is still pretty low overall, but I'm actually kinda disappointed because I never get the chance to clear a malfunction on the fly. Maybe I'll take a course sometime that will have me use 1000 rounds over the course of a weekend, so I can get it too dirty to be 100% reliable. :)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, having to clear a stoppage in the middle of some shit is pretty crazy. Just comes down to training. When you clear a hundred stoppages at the range, clearing one in a firefight becomes pretty second nature.

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 am

emugod wrote: The commented section is the original, possibly you could just not push the light onto that stack? in any case this isn't perfect because the light props still look lit, even though they cast no light (demonstrated here just by shooting one, to show what they should look like), and I'm not sure what effect this is having on the bots lights (which I think you would want to leave enabled for maximum spookiness).
The reason the lights look lit even though they are not casting light is because they are likely using the self-illumination material, you can change the material of every light in the scene using the for loop that was quoted by changing the renderer.material to something darker. Use a tag for the bot light prefab and only change the material of the static lights to keep the bot lights as standard.

thejohne94

Post by thejohne94 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:07 pm

One thing in this "mod" that I would like to see is batteries. If the flashlight is your only "defense" it would be brick-shatting worthy to have the flashlight flicker as the battery goes out. Then after fumbling to replace the damn thing, a split second of a creepy face flickers as the light turns on :twisted:.
Anyone for this?

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 pm

thejohne94 wrote:One thing in this "mod" that I would like to see is batteries. If the flashlight is your only "defense" it would be brick-shatting worthy to have the flashlight flicker as the battery goes out. Then after fumbling to replace the damn thing, a split second of a creepy face flickers as the light turns on :twisted:.
Anyone for this?
Overlaying an image over the player's screen is a horribly cheap tactic that I legitimately hate. It should never be done. If you're immersed in a game, a creepy face image does a couple things
*Jars your immersion massively
*you're now focusing intently on a creepy face, of course you're going to shit your pants
It's a cheap scare tactic used by people who can't get anything legitimately scary going.

thejohne94

Post by thejohne94 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:27 am

ok. The face was a little cheap. But the batteries are definitely worth looking into right? I mean when it goes out you'll be in almost complete darkness and twisting off the back, taking out the battery(s), putting in the new ones, and screwing the back on again while either sounds or a creepy ambiance is around will keep you on edge for the whole ordeal.

And another thing, if there are to be enemies and weapons, the ammo needs to be EXTREMELY scarce. But to balance it out I would make it so the bots are killed with one bullet. I can just see my friend jumping and spraying the three bullets he has and a bunch of empty clicks on a hoverbot that scared him.
Last edited by thejohne94 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am

thejohne94 wrote:ok. The face was a little cheap. But the batteries are definitely worth looking into right? I mean when it goes out you'll be in almost complete darkness and twisting off the back, taking out the battery(s), putting in the new ones, and screwing the back on again while either sounds or a creepy ambiance is around will keep you on edge for the whole ordeal.
And another thing, if there are to be enemies and weapons, the ammo needs to be EXTREMELY scarce. But to balance it out I would make it so the bots are killed with one bullet. I can just see my friend jumping and spraying the three bullets he has and a bunch of empty clicks on a hoverbot that scared him.
The bots ARE killed by just one bullet. You just have to hit the right places at the right angles. If you knock out the batteries, that's the best way to do it. You can knock out the motor on the turrets to make them stop spinning, but they can still shoot you. Every vital hit only takes one shot, it's just a matter of actually landing the shot.

thejohne94

Post by thejohne94 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Kinda hard to hit a target when you're scared out of your wits. ;P